Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents are headed to Italy for the first time this fall. They will be in Rome, the Amalfi Coast and I forget where else... Capri maybe?

I've never been and can offer them no tips, advice, MUST SEE suggestions but I told her I would post here and ask you guys.

She comes often to the forums to lurk and read the posts lol. So, can anyone give them any advice? suggestions, anything for First Timers. Thanks in advance :laugh:

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Capri-been there... beautiful
Amalfi Coast-been there... beautiful

Italy is just... beautiful.

What kinds of things do they want to see?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are up for anything, Linds...they ae very Catholic so the Vatican is a must. I would love to get them a private tour...yea right!
Maybe I can Email Benny and ask him for one :laugh: lol

I know they just dont want to get home and hear "OMG you didnt do ________? That's the BEST part of Italy!"

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Well... churches abound in Italy if that's what they want to see. Most of my info comes from the ancient roman stuff.

Vesuvious... a must see
Pompeii... a must see even for people not into the "ancient" thing

The coast they can just drive down and visit the little towns for shopping. Lots of places selling italian tiles (I think I could have bought enough to tile my whole house if I had wanted... each one different).

Mostly I recommend just hanging out and engaging with the locals as much as possible.

One of my favorite memories was going to a club (I realize this is not for your parents) and dancing my little heart out and seeing other people dance (umm guys that know how to twirl a girl around... /shock). Afterwards when we left, the professor's wife (fluent italian, she accompanied us to the club) said that she was standing behind two guys who were checking me out and admiring how I danced. I was like "WTF didn't you tell me when we were in there?!!?"

Just think... I was this >< close to hooking up with an italian stallion. ;)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...forwarded the picture to them. And ill make sure they tell them the other info also.

They would want to see the Vatican for sure, but do a church tour or anything like that. I know they want to see the Vatican's Art Museum. I can see them driving around to the towns, tasting the wines, etc...and shopping.

What are the best things to buy in Italy?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Mmm... to buy... uhhh... nothing is really THAT much cheaper... like a lot of the girls on the trip wanted to go buy Prada or whatever cause they thought it was cheaper... it's not... lol

Susan.. you can link them to my site... http://web.mac.com/milbran220 and tell them to click on the Italy page... but we didn't go to Rome and most of the pictures are of archeological stuff. BTW... I think I could spend 2 weeks in Rome and not see everything I wanted.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
My neighbor just got back...haven't really talked to her about all the places to see; however, she did mention the many pickpocketers over there.

Someone tried to get her purse, and a man in the hotel was pickpocketed right in the lobby while registering!! Please be very careful.

Another friend of ours (male) was pickpocketed while walking. He had his wallet in his back pocket. They picked the wrong person, because our friend is a marathon runner and was able to catch the guy.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Seriously watch out for the pick pockets. Take extra copies of passport photos. If you have to get a duplicate due to loss you waste a lot of time trying to find someone to do the photos.

Tell dad wallet in front pocket. I would suggest a money belt. Carry only money to be used that day in wallet and then tell dad front pocket only. If in a crowd put hand on wallet. Even little kids used as pick pocket decoys.

Can you tell I had a bad experience in Italy with them. Just about knocked the shi. out of a guy trying to steal my wallet and passport.

I loved Italy and the people but be very careful with purses and wallets.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
And as far as purses for mom to avoid pickpockets- ones that fits securely and directly under her shoulder. Nothing that hangs down. Make sure it is zipper closed at all times. I have a cheap one that I use for international travel because it sits securely under my shoulder, doesn't have tons of pockets, etc, and zippers shut.

Let me talk to my brother and let you know (it may be a few days). He went on a class trip when he was in high school and some how, they did pull off a semi private Vatican tour. I don't know if the teacher had connections, or if the Archbishop of Saint Louis did it, or what. Let me ask and see if he knows.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
A friend of mine said "Don't spend time in Venice. It's cool to see for a couple hours, but it's dirty. Spend time in Florence"

I've never been so I don't know. ???

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
This probably won't interest them at all but football is the biggest sport in Italy...they even won the World Cup last year. I went to Italy with my old school in 2004 and we watched a game at the San Siro. Italians are majorly into their football so it is very much a part of their culture. The Stadio San Siro is in Milan and it is home to two of the biggest football teams in Europe...AC Milan and Internazionale.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You've gotten great advice. I can also warn you about the pickpockets. We had trouble with the kids, especially in Rome. They come up to you to distract you and while one is talking the other is trying to unzip your fanny pack or pick your pocket. Tell your parents to be especially careful around the Forum and the Trevi Fountain. They were particularly ruthless there. Your mom and dad may want to get something like this to wear under their clothes.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1729&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C252%2C392&iProductID=1729&sortBy=0

I went to Rome, Florence, Naples, Capri, Pompeii, Assisi and Sorrento. All were fabulous! I want to go back!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Maybe it was because I went in Winter and didn't go to THAT many touristy places (we had private tours of the archeological sites with the archeologists themselves) but I didn't have a problem with pickpocketers.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Your parents will have a wonderful time! We went to Florence, Pisa, Rome...all of it was wonderful.
We did go to Vatican City, it was an amazing experience. They do offer some nice tours of the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican museums, etc.

Labz4Me said:
You've gotten great advice. I can also warn you about the pickpockets. We had trouble with the kids, especially in Rome. They come up to you to distract you and while one is talking the other is trying to unzip your fanny pack or pick your pocket.
This happened to us with a bunch of little gypsy kids.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts