·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading the posts about a few getting severe weather
I remembered that this article was on Acme pet

Penny from acme pet wrote a good article
she pointed out some good tips on
how to prepare your pets incase of tornadoes, hurricanes, even fire.

http://www.acmepettransport.com/forum/index.php?page=6

===

Written by Penny aka Punky

It is that time of the year again when many of us who live in “Tornado Alley” turn our attention to the sky. And as always, I look over the steps I have taken to ensure my pets safety in case my home does get blown away. I do not take these steps just in the spring but it is something I maintain year round as you never know when you may need to “abandon ship”. My safety steps I take for my pets will also work for hurricanes, earthquakes, fire, etc.

All of my pets have a carrying crate, the hard plastic kind. They each have their own and they are always assembled and stored in a closet. Each crate has a sticker on it with my name, address, cell phone number plus my vets contact info. Inside each crate I also have a Ziploc baggie that contains a picture of the pet, a copy of their vaccination record, again my contact info and a note that states their name and any special needs they may have. I also have an emergency contact (a friend in my case) for whoever finds my pets that they can call if I am unable to care for my pets. This is to ensure that if I am separated from my fur babies, whoever finds them has the required info for each of them.

For severe weather that involves tornados I do have steps that I take. If a tornado watch is issued for my area I take the crates out of the closet and put them in the basement (which is my family room), I round up all the pets and also contain them in the family room and I put their collars on. Each collar has their rabies tag, their ID tag and their HomeAgain tag as all of my pets are microchipped. I then start to pay closer attention to the weather. If it does appear I have a tornadic cell headed in my direction, I then put them in their respective crates and listen to them whine. At this time, I also get all of my own personal stuff together….check books, cell phone, I put shoes on, laptop, vehicle keys, etc. Another important thing I have is a safe….a big, heavy safe that is stored under the stairs. The safe contains all of my banking info, insurance papers, pictures that I can’t replace as well as pictures of the contents of my home and my pets info once again. Once the tornadic cell is in the vicinity, I put pets, my human child and myself under the stairs to ride out the storm. If my house is still standing afterwards I put everything away and wait for the next storm.

These preparations do work for other natural disasters. In case of fire though I have taken additional steps. I have a shed in my backyard where I also keep crates with all of my pets information. That way if my home is on fire I can get my pets out in a hurry and still have containment for them once outside. I also keep a few pillowcases (a great way to temporarily contain a cat) and extra leashes and collars in the shed.

Hurricanes are a little easier than other disasters as you generally have a few days to get prepared. Earthquakes unfortunately happen with no warning and I have always recommended to people who live where earthquakes occur, to always leave their collars on their pets. If a earthquake does occur and you are separated from your pet at least your pet has his/her ID.

Another good reminder and this is for everyone, keep a list of motels in surrounding towns (or in case of a hurricane or earthquake, surrounding states) who are pet friendly. I always tell people who are looking to evacuate because of a hurricane to make reservations as soon as possible. Not only will it ensure you a place to stay if you need it but it also ensures your pet will too.

Make sure to keep your pets ID tag updated and to always replace your pets vaccination records every year inside of the crate.

Yes, the measures I take to ensure my pets safety during bad weather may seem extreme but I have seen too many people crying after losing their home to a tornado because they have no idea where Fluffy or Fido is. We witnessed this many times in the media due to Hurricane Katrina where people couldn’t find their beloved pets. A collar with an ID tag on each animal could have prevented so many lost and homeless pets that we were inundated with in rescue. A half hour of your time once a year will ensure that your fur baby will be with you after a disaster strikes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts