Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a tick freak! i hate those little buggers.
I was tracking today with apple, and layed a tdx track for a friend. Little did i know i brought a tick back which i found on my neck. ugghh [[throw up]]

Anyway i don't use frontline and have been trying the natural route for tick repellent on Apple. I have every natural thing on the market. So instead of burning the bug and being done with it i experimented a bit =)
I used a parasite dust for animals(Buck Mountain Herbal Gold), didn't work. Naturals Neem "Protect" Spray he wasn't to fond of but preceded to walk on. Then i tried the Sentry Natural Defense and put some in his path and he quickly walked the other way, then i put some on him and he acted very drunk and flipped upside down. It didn't kill him i put him on fire.
Sentry Natural Defense is made up of peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon grass oil, clove oil, thyme oil... along with some other natural things. smells lovely <3

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Use caution when using this product. I used it one time and it burned Fudge's skin so bad he had large blisters and lost patches of hair. The vet gave me a medicated shampoo that would wash the herbal oils off of his skin.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use caution when using this product. I used it one time and it burned Fudge's skin so bad he had large blisters and lost patches of hair. The vet gave me a medicated shampoo that would wash the herbal oils off of his skin.
Yes i did hear of some dogs not reacting well to the oils, but luckily my girls never got a reaction to it, we're on month number 5 so we'll see. Hopefully these ticks are gone for good.
Now if i can only find something for myself.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
question...

how do you not know it was a combo of ALL those things that killed it?
Keep in mind you also used it in high concentration (just putting it ON the tick). Contact did not come just from the tick being on the dog who was treated with the natural product. Sooooo how effective is it really?
If the tick has time to get on the dog and bite it...is the damage and risk of lyme already done?
I use Advantix. Claims to be a repelant. I will continue to use it. Not had a flea/tick in eons.
I do not buy that the natural stuff repells. I have use a product many times very simular in ingredients (both premade and made myself) and had ZERO results! ZERO! Even when I nearly coated myself in it.
I try very hard to be very "natural".....but some things I will flat out say just don't work and won't kid myself into thinking they do.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I have found nothing that works as far as I can tell
tick checks and gently removing them seems to be part of my life ..
only a couple a year per dog but that's a couple too many in my book

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kim - The sentry when i put a small amount in the ticks direction it turned the other way.. showing that it does not like it so we'll see. Its been working for the past four months and where my dogs go it's infested. And yes all the other natural stuff i mixed etc doesnt work for me either. i have hope though on this one =)

Brody - Even with that stuff i put on them I do exact same thing, i go through them after being in the fields and luckily i havent found any for a while now(thats not saying much with a black dog). I also draw blood to get them check for tick borne diseases at least 4 times a year. Nothing is 100% . Even if my dogs were on frontline i'd always find ticks on them. I did right dose once a month. I called frontline and they told me it takes 72 hours after the tick grabs on for it to die!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.