Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have read this to get the big picture.

Stage 3 water restrictions here.

If you use over 10,000 gallons... 25% increase on your rate.
If you use over 15,000 gallons... another 25% increase on your increased rate.

We are being kept in stage 3 until the end of the calendar year.
They said it would take 2 years to recover from the drought.
We skies have opened up over Texas and the lakes have filled.
Current Elevation Normal Elevation
Lake Lavon: 490.44 492.0

According to its own document above, the North Texas Municipal Water District Drought Plan calls for these Lake Lavon benchmark points in water curtailment:

Stage 1 -- 484 ft. above sea level
Stage 2 -- 481 ft.
Stage 3 -- 478 ft. (This is the stage at which we are currently held.)
Stage 4 -- 475 ft.

It also states that Lake Chapman/Cooper Dam must be at or above 426 ft.
Both lakes are way above those posted levels for Stage 3.


Here is the only thing they can hold us here on.

Texas Administrative Code

(1)
(E) The drought contingency plan must include drought or emergency response stages providing for the implementation of measures in response to at least the following situations:

(i) reduction in available water supply up to a repeat of the drought of record;



http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=30&pt=1&ch=288&rl=20
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,693 Posts
WAA? Sounds like they ought to call a meeting and reconsider! Who would you have to talk to to get something like that started?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Someone ought to take your drought contingency plan to the frickin morons in Denver. They've shut down every farm east of Denver all the way to the Kansas line all in the name of watering lawns in the metro area. They have no such contingency planning in Colorado...they just shut everyone down.

I understand your frustration. If they have the water they shouldn't hammer you for it. That's silly. I know they want to conserve but daaannnggg....wait to implement that stuff until July or August.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,664 Posts
I was searching around trying to find the average water consumption per person in the US. I thought 10k gallons/year seemed high. It is about 28 gallons a day per day. I wonder what we use, 2 showers a day, maybe four toilet flushes, one load of laundry. A couple gallons cooking and miscellaneous and 5 gallons for washing dishes. I bet we hit 30 gallons a day. Wow,we do go through some water. We don't generally water our lawn or have a pool. I might wash the car twice a month.

Anywho, the stage 3 water restriction does seem out of line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the city was gouging us too. I am looking at my water bill. It says that I was using almost 30,000 gal. in one month last year. Since November, my average usage has been around 930 gallons a month. WTH? We were on restrictions last summer and we were not using much more water then than I am now.

Something is really suspicious. In fact, last June, we were gone for a good part of the month. My bill says that we used 20,000 gallons. HOW? There isn't any way. I knew that then, but couldn't prove it. They keep the meters locked up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,664 Posts
Shanna said:
I think the city was gouging us too. I am looking at my water bill. It says that I was using almost 30,000 gal. in one month last year. Since November, my average usage has been around 930 gallons a month. WTH? We were on restrictions last summer and we were not using much more water then than I am now.

Something is really suspicious. In fact, last June, we were gone for a good part of the month. My bill says that we used 20,000 gallons. HOW? There isn't any way. I knew that then, but couldn't prove it. They keep the meters locked up.
****! I miss-understood the consumption data. 30,000 gallons in one month?! That 1000 gallons a day! Naw, that ain't right. The 930 usage a month is light if you have a family of 4 or more. 1000 gals a day what are you doing, processing steel?

We are billed water usage every 3 months and I don't know what my usage is. I'll see if I have the usage data from an old bill. There is just the 2 of us and I don't know how much water is used to shower maybe 10 gallons? Really I think we use about 30 to 40 gallons a day.

I think you're getting hosed.....pun intended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,170 Posts
Solve the problem by allowing your lawns to go dormant during the summer. Better yet, get rid of lawns altogether and plant native species that only need natural levels of rainfall to survive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,170 Posts
BoatDog said:
Cam's got an idea - how bout a rock garden?
I'm not really familiar with the region in you're in Shanna, but you would, I think, be able to plant a pretty attractive landscape with native species and xeriscaping. Watering lawns has got ot be one of the biggest wastes of water there is. I almost wish that the collection of grey water was mandatory so that it could be used for landscape irrigation. Of course this would mean using soaps and detergents that contain no phosphates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
OH Shanna , I am right there with you - there is only 2 of us and our pets and are water bill is OUTRAGEOUS - Dang city of McKinney!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CrockettsMom said:
OH Shanna , I am right there with you - there is only 2 of us and our pets and are water bill is OUTRAGEOUS - Dang city of McKinney!
YESSSS. What does you water bill show? Does it say you were using a ridiculous amount of water?

BTW... Jinx is flying in from Virginia in August. Charla lives over in Little Elm and Karen (NelliesMom or something LOL) is in Denton. Shall we hook up for an afternoon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Shanna said:
CrockettsMom said:
OH Shanna , I am right there with you - there is only 2 of us and our pets and are water bill is OUTRAGEOUS - Dang city of McKinney!
YESSSS. What does you water bill show? Does it say you were using a ridiculous amount of water?

BTW... Jinx is flying in from Virginia in August. Charla lives over in Little Elm and Karen (NelliesMom or something LOL) is in Denton. Shall we hook up for an afternoon?
yes it does - weird!
We should all hook up - there are lots of JLers from the Dallas area!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top