Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda bothering me....so, we use frontline on both our kids. I have found a couple of ticks on Brooklyn - it is so easy with her light hair. But after searching Remy I never seem to find one. I have, however, found a dead flat tick outside of his crate. Frontline does work people!

But here's my question. As owner of a part lab - part Hoover - Remy investigates and puts anything he finds on the floor in his mouth. What if he eats a tick? Plus, both are grazers...what if they ingest a tick while eating the grass? Could they get lyme that way or is it only injected into the blood stream?

Quietly freaking out.....

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I don't really know for sure, but I wouldn't think that eating a tick would be any worse than getting bitten by a tick. I use Frontline Plus on my dogs (we live in a very tick infested area) and they still get bit quite a bit, and then there are a fair amount that appear to fall off, dead or weakened. Skippy gets them more than Emilu. WE get them - dozens of bites so far this year. I think that after a while you can't stay in a heightened fear of Lyme - I just am aware that if one of us gets sick, then suggest a test for Lyme. And for some strange reason, the dogs DO have a fascination with eating the ticks. If you pick one off of them, they want to see it and then try to eat it.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
A tick will not be able to survive if eaten. The acids and other bacteria in the stomach would quickly kill the tick

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Okay ... I saw the name of this thread and thought it said "Trick Question" then I read the OP and wondered what the trick was.

[/blonde moment]

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Good points. I take Tal and Barney out alot and there's ticks around here too. I check them before getting in the car, and have found one on my leg and one in my hair. I found one on Barney's nose the other day before we came home, and the tick was no longer with us. I just take precautions, and try not to worry about it too much.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I tell you I hear this more and more with frontline. From what I was told last year is that frontline loses its effectiveness in about 3 weeks and if your dogs are outside in the sun the sunlight is doing something to the ingredients in it that lesses its strength. This came from a vet from a memo they received from frontline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts