Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hesitant to reapply any topical flea and tick meds to my boys, we've successfully used Advantix, they're well overdue for their treatment which was end of May.

Are you still applying and if so what kind? We do not live in a high tick/flea area but it will only take 1 little flea to make us all miserable!!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob, Advantix has always worked well for us, all the news about the pesticides have me concerned. I was just wondering what my fellow j-labbers were doing about prevention. Is one brand "safer" than the other?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
There are ticks and fleas in my area and Abbey goes romping around in tall grasses and fields, not to mention dog parks, so I have her on Frontline and Heartgard every 30 days. The Heartgard is year-round, but the Frontline is during the spring-fall months (depends on the location and weather).

I haven't had any issues with Frontline, so I'm sticking with it for now. But I do know a lot of people that use herbal equivalents, such as Brewer's yeast (not baking yeast). They say good things about it, but I'm not 100% convinced yet since I haven't tried any of them.

There are also a lot of websites that recommend garlic as a flea-repellent, but garlic is a toxin to dogs, so I would not recommend anything with garlic in it.

Good luck.. I'll be watching this thread for other info. :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I dont use any of that kind of stuff anymore, Laika gets an allergic reaction from it. The last time she sufferd losing her hair on the right flank, and she was really itchy.

So, if she has flea's she goes swimming in to the sea (that realy works the best, and is just a killer for those little creatures!) ;)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Like Bob, Frontline+ every 45 days (or so). Success with it this year! WAY too expensive but worth it, I suppose.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Nada. Just a natural bug spray before heading into bug populated areas.

I don't treat my dogs for things they don't have. If they get fleas I'll deal with it then, but so far so good. ;)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I don't use anything topical on my dogs and have not for more than 20 years. No fleas in all that time. There is an occasional tick, which I remove.

I don't have a comfort level with applying a potent pesticide to my dog's skin.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
randi, i think i'm done with frontline. zena had a seizure the last time i applied it. zoe and dutch were okay; but there have been a lot of complaints this year about reactions to it and i am afraid of taking any more chances. they kill fire ants with that stuff....and it's going into my dogs blood stream...uh uh....also a gal at work...her dog had a bad reaction this year, too...never did before.
we don't frequent dog parks and i think we are done with our travels this year so i'm living on a wing and a prayer we don't get a flea...we haven't had them in all the years i've been at this house, even with all the fosters than came in.
i was thinking of taking zoe to the mtns and if so, using the old type flea/tick powder for the day...really not sure yet what to do....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
garlic, toxic ?

I just switched from frontline to Bug Off Garlic
and researched the web and there is some
discrepancy as to whether or not it is toxic
to dogs..........
which is the lesser of two evils , I guess ?:confused:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Hey sweetie!

Well, I'm right there with ya. :( All the news about bad reactions has me terrified now, especially with Angus, who I think of as my more medically-challenged boy.

This year, I went all the way to the end of May without giving either of them a single thing...and I still never saw a flea. Simon was getting an inordinate number of ticks about then, so I broke down and gave him Frontline. That's the only flea meds anyone has gotten this year.

I have been using Neem Oil spray on Angus 2x a week. I spray him really good on Wednesday and Sunday, pulling back the hair and trying to get it as close to the skin as I can. I pay special attention to the back of his shoulders, down his back and the base of his tail.

So far, not a single flea.

I tell you, it's not for the faint of heart though! I have been biting my nails about this all year, hoping I don't see a flea. If I do, as Kate said, I'll deal with it then.

One other thing of interest: We were on Advantix, which both boys dreaded and you had to trick them into letting you put it on. It also had an overpowering chemical smell. We switched to Frontline the end of last year, and they do not object to it at all. Makes you wonder.

I just can't get comfortable putting something on their skin that says on the product insert (paraphrasing): "If you get this on your skin, wash it off immediately!"

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys, I think I'm going to skip the Advantix and go on a wing and a prayer. My boys are getting older and I don't want to jeopardize their health. Our yard is manicured and clean, we do neighborhood walks for the most part and don't spend time in tall grass, it's a pretty well manicured neighborhood. Fingers crossed! Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
430 Posts
An interesting post. Since Ben has had three 'brain tinkles' I am now trying to avoid putting any chemicals on him. Used to use Advantage but now only want to use natural products.

Chrissie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, I did buy Advantix recently. I read the reviews people had and I promptly returned it. Sounded like horror stories....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts