Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday morning update.
Well, I still have the kitties. No one has called to offer to take them. They are eating well, at least 1 teaspoon per feeding. I've been able to arrange feedings anywhere from 2-4 hours apart.
This morning we got our first poop, I was so happy!!! ;D
Only one of them has pooped so far.

Wednesday morning update. I still have not found anyone to take them. I fed them kitten formula through a syringe at 6pm, 8pm, 10pm, 2am and 7am this morning. They will only eat about 1/2-1 teaspoon at a time, according to something I found online that is about right for 1 week old kittens. Elias is OBSESSED with them. Always sitting by the door of the room where they are, sitting right with me when I am with them.
I am concerned that the "stimulation" is not working. I can get them to pee but no poop yet. Anyone know if this is normal? I really am hoping to get a call from someone saying they will take them. I work full time and can really only get home at lunch. Here are some pictures I took last night.
me with kitty

me holding another kitty

my husband holding one

Elias being obsessed

Oh my luck
I work for a moving company. We use one trailer for trash. Today the guys were taking the trailer to the dump. They opened the door and out ran a momma cat, left behind 4 tiny kittens.
Of course being the animal lover here they brought them to me. My guess is that they are 1-2 weeks old. At first I thought they were moles because 3 of them are grey.
I ran to petsmart and got formula and bottles and I am going to leave work soon to take them home to feed them.
I called a few vets in the area and they can't help. I called the ASPCA and they told me that most likely they would be euthanized there. I am waiting for a rescue organization to call me back, they are looking for someone to take them.
Any advice?

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Re: Just found 4 tiny kittens

Any way to find momma??? She's probably a stray but maybe you can find a safe place near by for her or contact AC and see if they can put a live trap close to the dumpster for her???

Sorry I don't have any experience with any that didn't have a mom around.

·
Registered
557 Posts

I got a kitten once that was two weeks old because the woman who had the mom didn't want her to have kittens and she was going to leave them outside (it was winter). well all the kittens died except one which I took. I got formula and bottles and fed him that way for a few weeks 3 x a day then I started mixing formula with dry cat food then eventually just dry cat foon and now he is healthy and beautiful. ecept he has a heart murmur. he had that when he was born though.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Oh I forgot to say that you may want to take them to the vet first just to make sure they are relatively healthy.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

Good luck. Tyler found a tiny kitten and she just turned six today! ;D We bought the ready made kitten milk from the pet store. Aren't they adorable? :D

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

Woman's Humane Society and or Hope for the Animals might be able to help, Sam. Good luck

·
Registered
738 Posts

Not that I am a big help, but I have a cat that was bottle fed as a kitten, he is the best cat ever..so if you can spare their lives they will be great pets to someone. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Re: (update with pictures) Just found 4 tiny kittens

They are sooooo tiny!!!!! Poor little kitties. You are so kind to take them in and look after them.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts

Sam, my first thought was Momma cat ran out because she was probably hungry or thirsty. Did anyone go back to see if she returned to look for the kittens?

Poor widdle things. I hope and pray they make it.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

jzgrlduff said:
Sam, my first thought was Momma cat ran out because she was probably hungry or thirsty. Did anyone go back to see if she returned to look for the kittens?

Poor widdle things. I hope and pray they make it.
They kittens and the momma were in a trailer of ours. The trailer was driven about 10 minutes from our place to the dump and when they got there and opened the doors the mom took off. The only option at that point was to either leave the kittens there and hope the mom came back and found them, or take them. This place has large trucks coming in and out, I doubt the momma would have been able to go back to get the babies.

I hate to say it, but in terms of keeping the cat population down it's probably best they ended up with me. I hope they make it and get adopted by people that will spay and neuter them. Otherwise they would have ended up producing many more cats.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

dawww they're so tiny!!!!

If I lived closer I'd come take 'em lol

·
Registered
44,122 Posts

Oh OK, I get it now.

Otherwise they would have ended up producing many more cats.
Yup, excellent point!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

They are adorable! Thanks for taking care of them :)

Maybe St. Hubert's could help? They help a lot of cats in PA and NJ and have a whole network of cat lovers (maybe you already tried them too!)
http://www.sthuberts.org/

·
Registered
28,830 Posts

Awwww! They are really pretty babies! I hope they survive because of your efforts.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts

look at the babies! you are so kind to take them in.

Sharon(WigWag) has fostered kittens over the years, she might have some moe advice.

Hope they make it.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts

I think I would bait a trap at the dump with one of the kittens. The mother will return to look for them. Even if I had to sit there part of the evening. This would be the best time. At this age, they will drink out of a bottle. Good luck. Wish I could help you with them. I've nursed kittens before.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts

Gosh, they really are tiny. I think you are spot on with the ages -- no more than one or two weeks. I agree with contacting any local cat rescue societies. There is a good chance an older person (they need to be fed little and often - not ideal if you work) will foster them.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

They sure are tiny. Hope the make it, and hope you can find someone to take care of them too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts