Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brigetta threw up what looked like yellow bile this morning :-\

Lately she has been doing this thing where when I feed her she won't eat right away. She'll go lay down or sometimes run around with a toy, but will start eating usually after 10 minutes or so.

This morning I took her out at 5:45 (normal time), she did her business, then refused to eat. She was running around with her squeaky toy. After 15 or 20 minutes I put her bowl up and went back to sleep since I didn't have to get ready for work. At about 8am I heard her gagging and she threw up 3 little piles of yellow liquid.

I did a search on here and saw several posts that said bile could be from an empty stomach. I felt so bad for falling asleep and not putting her food back down :(

After about 30 minutes, I gave her the food, she wouldn't eat it right away, I had to start giving it to her by hand at first to coax her along, then she was fine.

I checked all over for something she could have gotten into, but didn't notice anything.

We're supposed to go to a friend's house this afternoon to play in her backyard. Do you think it's ok for Brigetta to go, or does she need to rest?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
That just doesnt sound right I had heard that when they wont eat and just look at the food something is not right what do you feed her? I would try a new food asap I'm sure someone else may have some more info on this :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
budbud said:
That just doesnt sound right I had heard that when they wont eat and just look at the food something is not right what do you feed her? I would try a new food asap I'm sure someone else may have some more info on this :)
My feelings too.,......... I guess I would prolly call my vet asap.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Does she always refuse the food at first? Or just recently?Sometimes you can get a bad bag of food.

Emma would throw up some bile in the mornings when she was a pup. We found a large biscuit before bed stopped this and held her until after breakfast, which is at about 830am.

If she is acting fine by this afternoon, I would take her to the friend's house.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Is this just new? Maybe, like someone else mentioned, the bag of food may be spoiled. Did it start to happen with a recently purchased food?
Molly has that empty stomach syndrome & would throw up yellow liquid towards morning. I divided her feedings into three times a day & she eats the last meal at 9 pm. No more throwing up.
I hope you figure it out. Let us know.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feed her California Natural Chicken Meal & Rice. I just opened a new bag, because she was doing this with the old bag too. This started about two weeks ago. Sometimes she'll eat right away, other times she'll play first, then eat. She's been on this food for a long time with no problems. Otherwise, everything is normal with her- playing, pooping, drinking water...all fine.

I had been putting pumpkin in her food because she had loose stools from some treats I had given her. When I stopped giving the pumpkin, she wouldn't eat as much, so I started putting it back. I know this probably wasn't a good idea, but I've been working with my vet to put a little weight on her, so I didn't want her not to eat. I was thinking that her not eating right away and playing instead, and not eating unless pumpkin was mixed in might have been a behavioral thing that I created by giving in to her. ???

She has done some other odd things lately (all within the last two weeks), like taking the food out of the bowl and putting it on the floor, then eating it. I've also noticed that she eats a lot slower and chews more than she used to. She is eating the same amount of food. I feed her at 6am and 6pm.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Funny you should mention taking the food out of her bowl. Moly used to do that awhile ago. As strangley as it started....she stopped doing that. I don't know why they do some of these things. I wonder if they just get tired of the same food? I wondered too as she is getting older, maybe she didn't need as much food. But who knows. If she is acting normal, no throw up & normal poops...maybe it will pass. I didn't want to start changing her food when she did that a few times. It passed & she would go back to eating like she always did.

I really wish they could talk to us & tell us things!! ::)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
The bile is definitely a sign of empty-tummy syndrome. Could the food possibly be stale? How old is it? Do you still have the bag? If you do, is there a date on it?

O

·
0 Posts
Bile is produced in the small intestine, and there is a sphincter at the bottom of the stomach that separates the two and prevents the backflow of bile into the stomach. Since the vomitus has a yellow color, this indicates that your dog is throwing up on an empty stomach.

We can be fairly certain that the bowels are working properly, since you say that your dog's bowel habits remain normal and the stools appear normal and of normal consistency.

Have you tried feeding your dog a small meal right before bedtime?

As for the hesitance to eat, when was the last time your dog's dentition was checked? A sore spot in the mouth could contribute to hesitancy to chew hard kibble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts