Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bandit has been sleeping with me at night for the past month and he has been doing very good. But, the past few nights he has been throwing up early in the morning. and it looks like it is all grass. He acts totally normal throughout the day, eats all his food, drinks and pottys normally. I dont know why he does this, I hear him coughing for about a min and then he throws up. Is he doing this on purpose? Is this his way of waking me up?

He hold his bladder all night. He goes out around 10:30 then we go to bed and he goes back out around 7 am. But the past few days he has been going out at like 3 am while I clean up. I dont know what to do.

He had a vet vist on tuesday and she said he was perfectly fine but he may have a little cold and it would just have to runs it course. Could this be from the cold? Any advise would be great. TIA!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sounds to me the reason he is throwing up grass is because he is eating grass??? Also, dogs don't really get colds like we get colds, so no...I personally don't think he is throwing up because he has a dog cold.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then why is only at 3 am?
Wouldn't he throw up more often?
Is he eating grass to make himself throw up?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Sounds like empty stomach syndrome. Try giving some treats before going to bed. Might be eating grass because spring grass tastes good. Maybe try and limit the amount of grass he takes in.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last night he had 2 treats before bed. How can I stop him from eating grass all the time? My other dog eats grass and never throws it up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
so this is gross but when he throws up is it foamy, watery and greenish in color? if it is i would feed him his dinner a bit later in the evening or half at dinner time and half before bed to see if it is empty stomach perhaps giving him an upset stomach! good luck, also maybe keep him away from the grass for a day or two and see if that does the trick, maybe he is eating too much of it the little calf!! ;)

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Otis used to do that and it was exactly what Kiddsmom said - empty stomach syndrome and the grass. We did several things.

First we split his evening meal in half and feed the halves about two hours apart. Then a couple hours after that he has a green bean snack - 1/4 to a 1/3 of a can.

Next we watch him when he's outside and redirect his attention whenever he starts to eat grass - yell, clap our hands, whatever, but we don't let him get more than a blade in his mouth before we're all over him.

We still have the fluke throw up every once in a while, but it's few and far between.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
My dogs also occasionally do this - empty stomach, for sure.

I can always tell because of the nights that it happens. It's usually when we need to feed them extra early, because of a kids game, etc. Sure enough, they have a tough time getting thru the night. I also try to give treats, but it's not enough.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Molly has empty stomach syndrome & would throw up around 4-5 a.m. I feed her three meals a day & the last one is around 9 p.m. NO more throw up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Ditto the advice already given. Have had the same thing with Abby a few times ( just started out of the blue too), and sure enough, did what was advised and no more throw up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks so much everyone! The only thing is I think he is eating it throughout the day, not just at night. I dont know! Im gonna try splitting up meals and see how that goes. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Where is the dog kept?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dani said:
Where is the dog kept?
In his crate duing the day and in my bed at night

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If I ate my last meal right before I went to bed I would be up all night. But because you want your dog to be still right after they eat so they can digest right before bed is the perfect time for the last feeding. I split Oona's meals up so she is fed 4 times a day.
Olie

·
Registered
128 Posts
BrownDog20 said:
Bandit has been sleeping with me at night for the past month and he has been doing very good. But, the past few nights he has been throwing up early in the morning. and it looks like it is all grass. He acts totally normal throughout the day, eats all his food, drinks and pottys normally. I dont know why he does this, I hear him coughing for about a min and then he throws up. Is he doing this on purpose? Is this his way of waking me up?

He hold his bladder all night. He goes out around 10:30 then we go to bed and he goes back out around 7 am. But the past few days he has been going out at like 3 am while I clean up. I dont know what to do.

He had a vet vist on tuesday and she said he was perfectly fine but he may have a little cold and it would just have to runs it course. Could this be from the cold? Any advise would be great. TIA!
This ust be normal because Maui does this. Only he yaks up rocks.

I dunno what it is but when dogs get sick it's like a clock - between 3:30 and 4:00 AM we start getting this :chugA chugA chugA and then it goes BLEEAHAHHHHRH and out pops a rock the size of a golf ball :(

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can definetly relate to Parafly9's comment about the early AM upchucking. Madison did that same thing. We are now feeding her and Sarah about 4 times a day and it's going great for both pups. They get their first feeding around 5am and their last around 8:30 or 9pm.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I have been feeding Bandit a cup of food with green beans around 5 and a cup around 9 and NO throw up. Thank U everyone

1 - 18 of 18 Posts