Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do your kids have chores? I have started chores wuith my kids and they act like I'm killing them. they have always had things to do like feed the dogs and hamster but now I'm them set the table, clear the table, wipe the table, pick up dog poo, stuff like that. anyone else do this and what chorse do they do?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
My kids have chores.

17 yo
mows lawn
empties dishwasher
keeps room clean
takes laundry upstairs and puts it away
** he gets 20$ for mowing the lawn.

8 yo
Clear the table after dinner
sweep the floor
help with the pups and other duties when asked
** no allowance but we pay for everything she wants/needs within reason

When I was a kid, every day we got home from school on the mantel of the fireplace was a 3x5 card with your list of chores written on it. You didn't get to go outside and play until those items were crossed off.

·
Registered
282 Posts
OH yes... I have 3 kids, ages 10, 11 and 15 and they've been doing chores for about 4 years or so. I'm sure they've always thought we're such mean parents for even making them do chores... no one else does chores, etc. ::) They help with dishes, poo patrol, sweeping, garbage, laundry, vacuuming, dusting, etc. Occasionally they help feed the 2 cats and 5.5 month old Madison. Our daughter, the youngest, has acquired a new responsibility.... a bunny! She has to do her regular chores and keep Thumpers home clean. So far she's doing great, but we've only had him 5 days. I think it's great for kids to help around the house and I always tell my kids how much I appreciate their help.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
16 yr old

dishes everyother night
take laundry out of wash into dryer, fold and put at each family members place to be put away
run/walk Koko 1 x daily
keep bedroom neat and clean
sweep kitchen, computer room and living room daily (dog hair ya know)

15 yr old
dishes everyother night
pick up dog poop
keep yard free of natures trash, leafs branches ect
run/walk Koko 1 x daily
keep bedroom neat and clean (ya right!)
mop kitchen, computer room and livingroom daily

8 yr old
set table each night
clear table each night
keep yard picked up (human & Dog toys)
keep bedroom neat and clean
Rat out older brother and sister and share with mom and dad on how much they pay you to do their chores! (ha ha but he will if we ask!)

Edited because I can't type!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
No kids here, but as a kid I had chores. Mostly vacuuming and dusting. Dishes when I could reach the sink (we had no dishwasher). We went to the laundromat once a week - mom dropped us three kids off with clothes, soap and change, and we called her when we were done.

At the time it kind of stunk (except laundry cuz that was downtown across from the dime store), but I'm no worse for the wear....

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Yes, much to her dismay, she has a few chores.

Emptying the dishwasher.
Watering and feeding Petals.
Cleaning up her toys and books.
Keep her room tidy.
And vacuuming the stairs.

She also helps out whenever I need it. She doesn't complain too much, except about emptying the dishwasher.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
My kids are only 4 and almost 6, but they have chores. They feed the animals in the morning, make their beds, pick up their toys, take their plates to the sink after they eat, help set the table, they will help with laundry (carry towels to the bathroom for instance). My youngest son helps me cook (he loves doing it), and he will rinse dishes after I wash them and put them in the drainer to try (no dishwasher). They like to sweep and mop, so they do this sometimes, but I always have to go behind them. They're also very handy with a rag and some furniture polish or cleaner sprayed on it to clean things like the cabinets, refrigerator, etc... They also take their dirty clothes to the hamper, and they help me sort the whites from the colors before we wash (that's how they learned their colors, lol) & help me check for things in pockets. Best part is - they think its fun! I hope it continues. :)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
All three of mine do chores. (Ages 5, 6 & 9)

They rotate who does what:

Feed dogs (just scoop food in bowls and leave on counter)
Set table
Clear table
Empty silverware from dishwasher
Collect garbage in trash can from upstairs

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
15 & 12...We have given them chores since they were about 8....and they still don't do them unless we stand behind them with a whip :p ;D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My girls had chores. I think we started when they were 8 years old.

Homework first and formost.

Vacuuming,daily
Feeding the dogs.
Keeping their rooms clean
keeping their bathroom clean.

They did their own laundry the first time they crabbed about something shrinking or wrinkled.

SU started to teach them to cook at 10 years old,supervised of course.

Both girls are very good cooks now. They are 22 and 25

ETA: They didn't get an allowance ,but we rarely denied them things they wanted to do. Figure skating,gymnastics,dance, 4H club,color guard ,cheerleading....The list goes on and on and on

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm going to ad sweeping on to the list. I always find I never get around to sweeping LOL. My kids tell me they have to chorse so I don't have to do things LOL.
I like the idea of teaching them to cook.

P

·
0 Posts
My kids have had chores since around 8-10.

My daughter took a HomeEc class to fill her schedule. She was very disgusted with the teacher since the teacher basically didn't know how to cook.

But yeah, there are plenty of times that I still have to ask....."Did you do......"

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
My rule of thumb.... if they act like you are killing them with an ax... you know you are doing the right thing. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Shanna said:
My rule of thumb.... if they act like you are killing them with an ax... you know you are doing the right thing. :laugh:
ROLF!!! Good point!!

I'm so bad....I usually enforce the chores when they're driving me crazy. They'll start fighting with one another or running around like maniacs - and then I'm all tough, "YOU! GET THE TRASH!" "YOU - SET THE TABLE".

I'm so opposite of that positive reinforcement crap. ;)

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
MyLabsMom said:
ROLF!!! Good point!!

I'm so bad....I usually enforce the chores when they're driving me crazy. They'll start fighting with one another or running around like maniacs - and then I'm all tough, "YOU! GET THE TRASH!" "YOU - SET THE TABLE".

I'm so opposite of that positive reinforcement crap. ;)
ME TOO!!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
i wish i had been forced to learn to cook.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
gabbys mom said:
kelli said:
i wish i had been forced to learn to cook.
Me too. I would rely a whole lot less on cereal and the microwave.
amen, sistah!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
My dad used to tell me the whole reason he had kids was so I could change the t.v channels, get him pop, sweep the floor, feed the dogs, water the garden etc.

While I don't have kids, I definitely had chores growing up!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts