Just Labradors banner

Those who have lost a beloved pet...

650 views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  kassabella 
#1 ·
Was there something someone did that made you feel better?

My good friend is facing the death of their 14yr old Australian Shepherd. I actually think he is due to turn 15 very soon.

Anyways, she is having a really hard time with it. And I feel awful.

Any ideas one what I could send? Or do?

#3 · (Edited)
Definitely send a pet sympathy card, with something special written in it. I cried when I got the cards when our first, Tango, passed away. I was so touched. Also, my SIL sent a framed poem with a place to put the dogs picture in it. It still hangs in my hallway. I can't remember the name of the poem.....it starts with "There's dog hair on the sofa, there's dog hair on the chair....."

#5 ·
I'm confused by your question. Has the dog already died, or is she facing putting him down. If it is the latter, I strongly suggest she be with the dog. I never used to think I could do this, but since I have done it, it makes me feel better and gives me closure with my pet. I've had many animals put down over the years, some go quietly and some don't, but I am always glad that I was there with them at the end.

If the dog has already died, I agree that a card is a lovely gesture, and if you have a photo of the dog, include it with the card. I know when my horse died several of the boarders sent cards with photos that they had taken of my girl. It really touched my heart. Made me cry too.

#6 ·
Oh! The most wonderful thing for me when it was Paddy's turn was to have someone give me a gentle hug, maybe just around the shoulder even, and to hear their words "I'm so sorry you lost Paddy. I know how much you loved him."

It just... helped.

#9 · (Edited)
If you are close enough that you could offer to drive them to the vet that would be a Godsend. I was in no condition todrive us nor was my SU the last time we had to PTS our dog. My son in law volunteered. He even took the day off work to do it.

Mollyrock has done some beautiful paintings of dogs that I have seen. Depending on your budget, that might be an option. There are some nice sites that make small garden flags and or memorial stones. A card is always comforting.

#10 ·
Mollyrock has done some beautifl paintings of dogs taht I ahve seen. Depending on your budget that might be an option.
Aim, I did this when my Dad and his g/f's dog died a couple of years ago. They cried like babies when they opened it. They were so touched. They say it's the best thing they've ever gotten.

#13 ·
A friend of ours built us a bench after Reggie was PTS. He attached a little plaque with In memory of Reggie, the world's greatest dog and his birth and death dates engraved on it. We had him creamated, but it is nice to have a place to go and sit and remember him. A ride to and from the vet's office was awesome too. There was no way we could drive ourselves, and it gave us a few extra minutes to enjoy his presence. Wow, I am tearing up just remembering . . .

So sorry for your friends, it is a very hard thing to go through.

#14 ·
When we had to put Maxie down, we were new arrivals to Georgia and didn't know too many people.We did have an aquaintance in our apartment complex who had a Golden that we saw when we were out with Max. Somehow she realized Max was no longer with us and when we arrived home the next day she had sent a beautiful flower arangement with a card showing nothing more than a simple frowning face. Only pet lovers know what to say or what not to say.

#15 ·
I agree with 3TailsWaggin - if your friends can be with their dog when it's time, it will help them, even though it's very hard. I was glad to be there with Bella, I never could have forgiven myself if I'd let her go alone instead of holding her in my arms. Other than that, a kind word or card from a friend will help to ease the sorrow a little. Or if they want to talk about it with someone who understands, you could be there to listen.

#16 ·
For me, having a framed picture or a memento to display would just be too heartbreaking. I lost my GSD mix Taffy almost 8 years ago now and it still kills me. I have her collar but I keep it put away. I couldn't stand to look at it every day. Just try to be there for your friend as best you can. A card and a donation to a local shelter would probably mean a lot, or to an Aussie rescue if you know of one in the area.

#17 ·
When I had to put our Husky down a friend donated money in his memory to the local no-kill shelter. I was so touched that I have done the same several times for friends who've lost pets. Usually the shelters will send a very nice card to let the owner know.

#18 ·
This is what I was going to say. Just today I took in a very generous donation at my shelter in honor of a woman's sisters beloved dog...
We have beautiful cards that we send notifying them of the donation made in their pet's honor.

#19 ·
A written card is really nice. So is a hug. Spontaneous acts of kindness go a long way. A friend did a surprise watercolor of Reggie. Someone donated to the Grey Muzzle Organization in Reggie's name. I got a wonderful card, a silver ornament and a rainbow bridge bracelet which I now wear every day. I think remembering their loss down the road is touching too.

#21 ·
I ended up buying them a card and a little plant with some pretty flowers on it. I was sort of at a lost when I did it. Had I been thinking, I would have donated money in Harris' name to our local humane society. And I still may do that when I go to buy Tucker's tags later this week.

RIP Harris. :( His human boys are not dealing well with the loss. He was older than both boys. The 6yr old started crying and said "We're not a family of five anymore." :( :(

#23 ·
RIP Harris. :( His human boys are not dealing well with the loss. He was older than both boys. The 6yr old started crying and said "We're not a family of five anymore." :( :(
When we lost our beloved Reo at 14 1/2, my boys were 11 and 7. It was terribly hard for them - their first real loss. My younger son is more contemplative and it helped him to just talk about it. My older son fell apart. The whole notion of PTS is a tough one for a kid to buy into.

#24 ·
At this point he hasn't passed yet so i'd just really show that you care by asking about him/her, visiting the dog and your friend, and just being there when she needs to talk about it.
Once mine passed, someone sponsered a very sick lab in Prince's name. He sent me a card with the link and there was his name. This touched my heart... You can also get a small tree seed and help her plant it in his name. You can get a marker with his name engraved as well....

I viewed and cremated prince in abbey glen. I recommend this to anyone who has lost a pet. Do you/she live in NJ ???? anyway here's the site.. http://www.abbeyglen.com/griefrecovery.html
There's great poems, books, and a bunch of other things to help people cope with this big loss.

#25 · (Edited)
I know the loss of a precious pet. Everyone is different and you know your friend best. If they like time ontheir own or like company.

I hadn't read your reply untilI posted this. I had said leave some flowers.

The next few days and weeks are the hardest. Just call or leave a message to say you are there,
The next phase is picking up the ashes if they have them. Offer to go with the, A friend asked me. I said no thanks I am fine. She arrived and said I am going with you. I will wait in the car. I am so pleased she came with me. She cried with me and we took Kassy home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.