Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did your Lab react to it? It has definitely helped Shadow's pain, she is actually wagging her tail again this morning. :) She is drinking about twice as much as usual, but is having an easier time peeing thanks to the reduced pain. She is such a stoic little girl, she never cried or whined once, just trembled and panted. Thursday night she did whimper in her sleep a few times, but that's all the sound that ever came out of her.

I was wondering if I should take a bit of food from her breakfast and lunch and give her another small feeding in the evening, around 5:00 pm? The notes said the Pred will increase her appetite, but not to increase her food intake. Or, what about giving her an extra half-can of green beans instead? That wouldn't increase her calorie intake by very much, but would make her tummy feel like it did.

Thanks for any help you can give this very worried mom.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I can't give you any advice, but when my aunt and uncle's lab/beagle mix was on prednisone a few years ago, she was FULL of energy. She was a lay-around kind of dog until the prednisone, when she took to tearing into the garbage every day when the house was empty. My aunt would have to put a chair in front of the cupboard that held the trash, but then Lucy would jump on the chair and run around on the countertops and eat stuff. So be aware, she may turn rather naughty!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, after the way she's been feeling, naughty would be wonderful! I am just worried about her increased appetite and what I can do to help her without giving her extra calories.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I would divide her food by 3 and stretch it with green beans. Also I would use fruits or veges for treats. You and shadow will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Afew years ago Ranger developed a limp of unknown origin. X-rays and tick panel were negative. The Orthovet put him on a extended doses of Predisone for several months. He was very hungry, so I did supplement with green beans but he did manage to go through it all without a weight gain. And the limp went away.

Supplementing Shadow's food with GBs would work. I continue to send my good thoughts for her.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I know Sandi posted about about how much Prednisone has made Tank feel so much better. I was on it my self a few years ago and it made me very hungry. I think splitting up the meals more may help her feel less hungry. You and shadow have my thoughts and prayers

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Tank has been on Pred for over a month now. He is a ravenous pig. The funny thing is he is not gaining any weight. I am attributing that possibly to me feeding him simmered boneless skinless chicken breast and simmered low fat ground beef along with rice. He is getting zero exercise and looks great. He does want a cookie every time we make eye contact and usually I give it to him. He probably has at least 20 cookies a day and not gaining any weight. I think the pred is going to help Shadow if there is any bleeding going on with that tumor.

C

·
0 Posts
I've had two dogs that were on prednisone for extended periods, Hershey, my Lab, and Miki, my Boxer. It really does make them feel almost like puppies again but you do have to watch out for the constant hunger food surfing/naughtiness. I never changed our feeding schedule but meal times here are pretty close to twelve hours apart anyway. If you divide Shadow's daily amount into three parts instead of two she might think she's getting more even though she's not really. At the least she'll feel very pampered and spoiled. ;) Some extra green beans wouldn't add very many calories, either; I'd probably go ahead and give them for a few days.
Don't forget - all that extra water she's drinking has to come out again. Hershey and Miki both had to pee (lots!) about every 3-4 hours while they were on pred. You might want to arrange for a mid-day potty while you're at work if you can't get home.

Good thoughts heading to you and Shadow.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My Sambuca has been on Predisone for almost four months now. Shadow will adjust to the meds soon. The water intake with Sam is still high and his appitite is still huge. You can spread out the meals, but Ithink you will find that Shadow still has a big appitite. Sam has also become more daring in his hunt for food. My boy has become a counter surfer and garbage dumper, where as he never did this before. In the beginning, Sam was more lathargic on med. days ( he gets them every other day ) and then rebounded on the next. Now I wouldn't notice a difference in days regarding his behavior. I hope the meds. help Shadow.
Debbie

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that input, everyone. I am going to come home at lunch Monday and Tuesday to let her out, and just go in earlier to account for the extra time. I'll also give her an extra half-can of green beans when I get home from work and hope that will help. Thinking I might pout the trash can on the counter when I leave in the morning, too, just to be on the safe side. The vet did say that I need to keep her meals small because this tumor is so big it is pushing on all her other organs and 'should' be making her want to eat less. He doesn't know my Shadow very well!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think splitting meals in three will help.
The only times I used pred with my dogs was for the opposite reason - cancer caused appetite issues, so ravenous was good in my case.
Continued good thoughts coming your way.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I think your idea to split meals and add green beans is a great idea. I can't really offer much constructive advice, since when Jordan was on prednisone, it was for lymphoma. We knew she wasn't going to last forever, and at that point I decided if she put on 10lbs or so, it wasn't going to make a big difference at the end of the day. Needless to say, she got spoiled rotten, and in all actuality, she only put on 3 lbs in the month.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Nothing to add about the prednisone except that it is a little hard on the stomach. So give it with a meal as it can cause GI upset. Also supresses the immune system so watch for infections, scratches not healing well etc.
If your dog is on an NSAID, (non steroidal anti inflammatory) really watch the stomach and stools for GI bleeds

Pat

Don't want to scare you, but these are the things to watch for. Used properly it is a wonderful drug and can make a big difference in your pet

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for those warnings, Pat. Shadow is also on Amoxicillin and Pepcid so I hope those will balance out some of the possible concerns. I am watching her poops and checking her gums for pinkness, too.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
When we rescued the brother and sister duo we have @ 5 months of age, they had a cough and sneeze...... they were put on prednisone ....... for a short period of time, but it made them both drink a LOT more water, and they peed a lot more. We had constant pee accidents during the day with them.... of course they were still young, and actually hadn't had much housetraining at that time.....

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gracie takes Prednisone regularly in the summer months for allergies, but is a very low dose with an antihystamine. She really never gets any increased thirst, but she does become ravenous when we first put her on the pills. She becomes a counter surfer and a garbage hound! I think your idea of splitting her meals and adding green beans is a great idea. Hope it helps Shadow. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts