Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just, JUST foud a note in Liv's backpack, at 8:30pm tonight that she is supposed to bring a treat in for her class... tomorrow. I haven't really replenished my baking supplies since all of my Christmas baking, so I had to think up something quick that has no nuts & would not require a trip to the store. I settled on "cracker brittle" / "saltine candy", whatever people call it. The layer of whole wheat premium plus crackers, with brown sugar melted with butter poured over, baked til bubbly, then spread with chocolate & cooled. Break into pieces & stuff into a container.

I think it's the combination of salty & sweet that gets me. I need to stay far away from this stuff. I can't wait til it's out of my house.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I love that stuff...glad it is in your house not mine. I do have some left over noodle candy I could send you..chocolate and butterscotch chips melted pour over peanuts and Chinese noodles...yum.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More or less 1 sleeve of saltines, enough to
cover a cookie sheet
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of light brown sugar, well packed
Chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil, turn up the edges to form a tray and spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.

Arrange saltines with the salty side up on he cookie sheet. In a saucepan, bring the butter and brown sugar up to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Carefully pour mixture over the crackers and spread it out, evenly coating each cracker. Bake for about 5 minutes until bubbly.

Remove the crackers and quickly top with the chocolate. Return to oven for a minute to soften the cocolate chips. As they begin to soften and melt, use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly all across the top. Set aside to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then very carefully slide the foil off onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Can also transfer to a cool baking sheet and cool in the refrigerator. Cut into squares.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've never heard of this concoction. Have you tried making it with stoned wheat thins?
I have made them with just about every wheat cracker going. For this batch I used unsalted whole grain whole wheat Premium Plus crackers. I can't see why stoned wheat thins wouldn't work. They are really good with the PC Organics flax crackers as well, I did that over Christmas. This batch has a bit too much chocolate for my taste, I didn't measure. I'll try the heath (Skor, here) bits next time I make them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.