Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering yesterday as I was putting a roast in the crockpot before I went to work, what you guys do if you have a counter surfer. Mine have never done that. (I shouldn't say never, should I?) But then I went to work and started worrying about them smelling that cooking and maybe trying to get it and cause the thing to spill. Man, I was glad when my hubby called me when he got home. All was well. I knew it would be but for a few moments I wondered. Do you all never use a crockpot or anything?

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it worried me I'd probably just shut them out of the kitchen, although not all houses really allow for that anymore. One of the reasons I really dislike open plan designs.

Mine have only counter surfed once or twice in their lives and only once do I recall one of them actually getting anything - I think they were just curious and wanted to see what was up there. The one time Kira actually took something, she was so incredibly delicate about it that I can't imagine her knocking over a fully loaded crock pot.

They've never shown the slightest interest in the crock pot while I've been home. They're more interested in the raw meat I'm putting into it than the smells of cooking.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Jo stole a roast off the bench once. I had him cured within 24 hours. The next night, I left a plate of his food on the bench but with a generous dose of pepper sprinkled on top. I left it there to see what happened, came back about 1/2hr later to find it gone & the dog drinking large amounts of water. He never stole another thing off that bench again.

The best part was he had no idea I did it. From that day on, he associated that evil bench top with giving him an extra hot mouth & never went near it again. :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I shouldn't type this.

HK was a terror. We went through a pretty disciplined, 'Earn Your Freedom' period. Basically, each incident earned her a month back in the crate when we left the house. It took about 6 months, but she either matured or figured it out. She has been free in the house for over 9 months now. Oh Did I mention that the peeps in the house were also trained. NO FOOD left on counter or table. NONE! NEVER!

We do use a crock pot, on the stove top surface, pushed to the back, with a cover on it. Let me just say that there have not been any crock pot incidents to date.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine's on the stove too, pushed to the back. I don't even think they could reach it. I never had a problem since they were puppies with food or anthing setting around. We leave our plates of food in the living room sometimes if we're watching TV while we eat. They never touch anything.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Rhys has been known to consume crockpot-ables.

So I had a plug put in on top of the fridge, right next to the doorbell.

Yeah, thats the truth and I am not proud.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I use the crock pot once in awhile and have never had a problem. For the counter surfers in the house I used mouse traps set on the edge. Belle still counters surfs, but she is never loose in the house when I am not there

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Baloo has yet to earn his freedom when home alone. I'm probably going to start working full time so I'm hoping he will soon, but we'll see.

I do not own a crock pot.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
The boys are crated when we are not home. We could probably trust Buddy on his own, but not Champ. Champ will come and nose up the cover on the trash can with you standing right next to it! He also refuses to stay out of the kitchen, no matter how many times he's yelled at and chased out. So, sorry Buddy, but it's crates for you both when you're home alone.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
*knock on wood* Abbey has never countersurfed and I don't think she ever will, unless there were 10 open containers of peanut butter.. then she might ;)

The only one I have to worry about is the cat, Sylvester. He's crazy and wants to eat EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
We cured our counter surfer by spraying a piece of birthday cake solid with Bitter Apple. She got into the habit of stealing off the counter - people food only, she didn't bother with the dog food if it was up there - so we set up a boobie trap. It worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts