Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our church has a boy scout troop and several of the guys and a couple of their leaders are camping out on the grounds. Tal has met them all before.

Tonight when I was doing rounds, Tal just did not want to be around one kid in particular. To the point he wanted to bolt, which he could not since I had him on leash. He even had his tail between his legs..which he eventually started to wag normally. We went inside where they were and all but the one he was ok with...he was a little tired so wasn't quite as enthusiastic as normal.

I really didn't let on and didn't force him. The boy seemes afraid of Tal and unless something happened that I did not see I cannot for the life of me figure this one out...Tal has never shown any fear of any kind towards any dog or human.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I'd trust his judgment on that one. There is something not right there and he senses it. Isn't it amazing what they sense that we don't? It is weird tho, like you said and smart not to force the issue. He has grown into such a beautiful boy!! He has a good daddy. :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
rushpuppy said:
I'd trust his judgment on that one. There is something not right there and he senses it. Isn't it amazing what they sense that we don't? It is weird tho, like you said and smart not to force the issue. He has grown into such a beautiful boy!! He has a good daddy. :)
I totally agree........ dogs can sense things we can't.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that is why I didn't force it. I do trust his judgement. He likes some people and dogs better than others but that is to be expected. That was the first time he just flat refused to get near anyone up close that way. We continued on and you'd never know there was an 'encounter'.

Once when he was with me as I was getting gas he started to growl, and I mean that serious growl. I looked up and there was this shady looking fellow coming towards the Jeep. Dude turned around and headed the other way. Oh yes, I definitely believe they sense things we don't.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I would trust Tal. I think they can sense things better then we do. Maybe he could sense the boy's fear. I always trust my girls instinct's. My girls love eveyone, but they do not seem to like my one neighbor. I think he is a bit odd too. He is the one I saw kick his wife's dog when he thought no one was looking. So maybe they sense things & that is why they act like that.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I hired a new assistant yesterday....a university student. (It's great living in a university town!) He's such a sweet young man and really wants to learn videography. He lives in a nearby town and his family has three dogs....one of which is a black lab (2 yrs old). So he's used to dogs and loves them.

Well, he came over yesterday to sign his agreement and W9 form and go over some things with me. Sally was back in the bedroom with hubby taking a nap. She wanted out, so he let her out of the bedroom. I fully expected Sally to come bolting out and see the young man and start jumping all over him. But she cowered in the corner. First time I've ever....EVER seen her with her tail between her legs. I was sitting at the kitchen table with him and she would not even come to me. She was scared to death of him.

She went back into the bedroom. I followed her and just went up to put her and try to calm her down. She jumped up on our bed with her tail still between her legs....scared of me! And peed on my bed!! Poor girl...she was terrified. And I have no idea why.

Finally, she slowly came out to us at her own pace....sniffing every-so-definitively. By the time he left, she was butt-tucking and playing with him.

I'm still totally lost as to what was her problem. But neither Sally nor Tal (from what I've read of your posts) have fear issued. So when they do something like either one of these incidents, I'd just chalk it up to a "who knows" and let 'em go on their merry way! ;D

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I remember when you posted about the gas station incident. I trust their instincts, too. The boy in question may be okay as far as humans go but something didn't sit well with Tal. You handled that situation really well. Good for you.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paddysmom said:
I remember when you posted about the gas station incident. I trust their instincts, too. The boy in question may be okay as far as humans go but something didn't sit well with Tal. You handled that situation really well. Good for you.
Thanks..I know most of those guys and their parents but I really have only seen this particular boy with the scouts. So who knows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts