Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gahhh...We had the wonderful :crazy: freezing rain and sleet and snow the last two days which resulted in tons of trees and powerlines down and 100,000 electric customers out of power including us. Our house was 45 degrees this morning when Wes went home to feed Zues. We spent the night at his parents (including Zeus and Smeagol) since they are close and have a generator hooked up to the furnace so at least they had heat. Our power went out at about 3:00am Wednesday morning they are saying it could take 7-10 days to get it back on I just pray it doens't take that long.
Yesterday was so hectic we didn't sleep well because every 20-30 minutes you'd hear this big crack and shhhhhh sounding like sand going down a metal slide. We'd get up to see if it landed on one of our buildings it sounded so close but luckily we just have one big branch in our back yard and it hasn't damaged anything yet. We stayed home bundled up most of the afternoon then went to one of the few restraunts open and got something to eat since I didn't really have much that was just edible without cooking. Aubrey was so good the whole day she just stayed bundled in her snow suit and let us hold her. She slept a lot of the day. We packed up what we thought we would need for the night and went to his parents since they found a generator to buy and got it hooked up late last night. Their power is out too but at least it was warm. Aubrey didn't sleep well at all though probably since she slept so much during the day so I didn't get much sleep. I really hope they get our power back on soon but there are so many trees down and so much ice on the lines I'm sure it's making it more difficult.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OMG Barb - 7 to 10 days?! Prayers that it's sooner than that! I can't imagine....
I don't suppose you have a gas stove? At least you could cook. Keep food in coolers with ice.

This is exactly why I thank God we have 2 woodstoves!!

Keep us posted, OK?

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Been there, done that. Thank goodness you can stay warm. When it happened in our area there were FIGHTS over the few generators left in the stores. We were out for 7 days. It was awful. Not to mention the property damage.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a gas fire place but Dh could not get it going yesterday he tried everything the pilot would light but he couldn't get it to start to gas logs. We haven't used it for over a year and only a few times then. Everything else is electric except the gas furnace but it has an electric fan and pilot light so it doesn't run either.

The fights are at the gas stations right now because those with generators need gas for them and there are VERY few stations with power so they are backed up and running out of gas it's such a mess. It was the same when Ike came through but then at least it was warm and the sun was out longer.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh man, Barb. :no: I guess your company is closed, too?

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No my work has power that's where I'm at now. It's bad when you want to go to work because it's warm and has lights ;) I stayed home the last two days though because the roads were pretty bad and I won't drive on them. DH brought me in this morning.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
All my family is down near Evansville. My parents are the only ones with power - my uncles, my brother... are out.

Hope you get yours back quicker than they think.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Oh, I feel so bad for you. We lost power for 5 days in December, so I know what you are going through.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My parents are in southern IN but their power is still on it just flickered some. I know several people around Evansville that are out though.
I hope everyone else is staying safe has anyone heard from Nick?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Do you have a grill? Get that darn gas fireplace working, bundle up your Bundle Of Joy, and cook on the grill. I cook everything on the grill all year round.

7-10 days at the in-laws? Yikes. I don't care how nice they are! :crazy:

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes we have a charcoal grill but no way to thaw the meat when it is that cold out...lol I'm also not a fan of standing outside when it's this cold to cook. I love my inlaws but I really strongly prefer to stay in my own house in my own bed. I'm trying to get DH to find us a generator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts