Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have some experts, highly-paid experts I might add, dismantling a 90-100 ft locust tree on my property, right by the road (electrical lines, and my house etc). It has a big split between the two main branches. They really are experts, spending lots of time looking where to cut etc. This will probably be an all day affair. Bucket truck #1 is working on it now. Pictures to follow.

Goodbye old Locust. You've served well, but it's time.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Re: This Morning's entertainment - Farewell to a tree

isn't amazing how the tree guys can get a tree down so artfully..especially around powerlines?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Molly,

It really is, the chainsaw master just took a branch off, had to be about 75 feet up, landed right in the driveway, parallel to the powerlines. His ground crew yelled Good Job Andy! It was definitely a challenge.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

lol @ Jeanne checking out the power company crew ;)
Atta girl, Jeanne...get us some good pics.

How are the kids handling this distraction?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Honestly, my entertainment is watching them take the tree down. Not that I'm checking for myself though, but I thought you'd want to know that the crew are very strapping young men as the saying goes. The dogs are handling it well, barked when the crew got here but not too much after that.

:'( Disappointment though, they've decided that the bucket truck they have is too short to work with in this situation, so secured the tree and will be back another day (most likely when I'm at work). I can't fault them though, I called them Wed for an estimate and they were here today. The headman told me that they would do whatever they could do today based on rearranging jobs and equipment availability. If they tell me when they are coming maybe I'll try and work from home, I would really love to see it. However next week is really grind at work, so may not be able to.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts

I know exactly what you mean about entertaining. I watched the guys take down a huge pine after a storm last winter..they make it look so easy. Way better than watching TV.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts

Rangermom said:
. Not that I'm checking for myself though, but I thought you'd want to know that the crew are very strapping young men as the saying goes.
Now that is self sacrifice!! Thanks for looking out for us!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts

mollyrock said:
I know exactly what you mean about entertaining. I watched the guys take down a huge pine after a storm last winter..they make it look so easy. Way better than watching TV.
It's amazing how good these guys are. If I had to do that kind of work I'd be knocking out power and buying everyone in the area new cars and roofs.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It's amazing how good these guys are. If I had to do that kind of work I'd be knocking out power and buying everyone in the area new cars and roofs.
Me too. I'd be up there hacking away. Watching them work was like watch an artist scope out a painting he was working on, who looks it over and over, makes one brush stroke and says Voila! Finished!.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: This Morning's entertainment - Farewell to a tree (with pic)

Here's a picture of the guys sizing up the job. Note size of tall tree, next to big truck.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
If you don't mind me asking.

We had a tree company quote us cutting down a very large tree. The base diameter is about 3-4 feet across. The said they would have to bring in a 60 foot aerial lift. I was quoted around $600.00 to drop it and block it. How does that compare to your tree removal quote?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Labs4life - your quote is much cheaper. Mine also includes getting rid of the wood. I've found that tree removal prices are like real estate, they vary widely depending on where you live. Previously to getting it done, I talked to quite a few people in the area that had similar work done with different companies. They were spot on with the quote.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
It really is an artful thing to watch. A few years ago, back at the duplex, we watched these two guys take down an old hickory right in front of the house. Their well oiled precision and grace was like a ballet. Truly mesmerizing.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Thanks.

I liked the price myself and I don't mind having the free firewood, I really don't want to wave bye bye to the tree. It does have to go though.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Oh yeah, they are good. BUT I have this thing about trees. It's even worse since I moved to the land of the Heatmiser where there aren't many trees. I literally cry when I see them coming down. Even though I know that they sometimes have to. Oh the stories the old ones could tell.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vicki,

I love trees myself and if it wasn't a hazard, I'd let it come down on its own. My property has a lot of trees and I love. You can take comfort that there are already two very small trees growing in its place.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

TangerineFizz said:
Rangermom said:
. Not that I'm checking for myself though, but I thought you'd want to know that the crew are very strapping young men as the saying goes.
Now that is self sacrifice!! Thanks for looking out for us!
lol yes...thank you very much for the sacrifice!
And why aren't YOU looking, Missy? Youre not dead yet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts