12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dead dogs found in creek
They found 14 dogs and what appeared
to be a cat

Updated: Wednesday, 01 Apr 2009, 9:52 AM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 01 Apr 2009, 9:16 AM EDT

Reported by Sonu Wasu & Don Hatcher, WDTN
BELLEFONTAINE, Ohio (WDTN) - A grisly scene was discovered by a Humane Society employee in Logan County Monday night when he stumbled upon a mass of dead dogs, most of them skinned and dumped in Rush Creek.

The creek is located close to a popular fishing hole off Township Road 136, northeast of Bellefontaine. That's where Kyle Holcomb made the disturbing find.

"We came around the corner and I smelled this real bad smell," Holcomb said. "I was like man, it stinks."

Humane Society workers and several Rushcreek volunteer firefighters came to the scene. Holcomb said the smell was so bad they donned a special breathing apparatus as they scoured the creek banks for remains.

The search found 14 dead dogs and what appeared to be a cat. Most of the animals were in various stages of decay. All of them appeared to be young in age. The majority of them were skinned.

Humane Society agent Joni Dailey said it looked like one of the dogs had been shot and some appeared to have been euthanized.

"I've never seen anything like this and hope I never see anything like this again. It's really horrible," said Dailey, still shaken up, hours after the discovery.

Dailey said she had heard there is an illegal underground market for dog fur, especially Greyhound. In all, they found seven Greyhounds, a Black Lab, a Golden Retriever mix, a Pit Bull, and a Great White Pyrenees.

"The dogs were healthy, they appeared to be at a good weight, their nails had been trimmed. They just seemed like family pets," said Dailey.

The dogs were transported to the School of Veterinary Medicine at Ohio State University where they will determine the cause of death.

Logan County Human Society staff encourage anyone who knows anything about this crime to call them at 937-537-1811. You can also call Crime Stoppers at 222-STOP and remain anonymous.

They are also reaching out to all dog owners in the area, asking anyone who is missing a pet to send them a picture of their animal so they can try and match it with the dogs they found.:mad:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
How awful. I just read another puppy mill bust story.

Deputies found at least 200 dogs that had been neglected and abused. There were also two other primates on the property.

The Sheriff's Department arrested three people inside the home and left the animals on site until daylight.

The Missouri Animal Cruelty Task Force returned Tuesday morning to find all but 15 dogs and 2 cats missing. The recovered animals have been transported to St. Louis for treatment. The agency has also located the two missing primates.

The Daviess County Sheriff's Department has called on several other agencies to help search for the remaining animals. The Humane Society of Missouri is offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to the recovery of the dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.