Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the store this morning to get milk and as I was leaving I look over and see this girl and her mother bring in a little tinny yellow lab puppy (MAYBE 5 weeks old and thats pushing it).
What makes them think they need to bring this puppy into the store??
Makes me so mad!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow!! A 5 week old puppy walking, you don't normally go and get the puppy until it is 8 weeks old! That is totally insane of the owner, basic common sense :eek:

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Were they walking it or carrying it? Either way it's wrong, but I'm thinking maybe they just picked it up and didn't want to leave him/her in the car.

We have people who bring their dogs into work all the time carrying them around and it drive me bananas!!!! Especially when I go to take their money an the little ankle biter chihuahua is growling at me ::)

·
Registered
577 Posts
People just don't get it! I stopped at PetSmart with the boys two weekends ago on the way to the lake for a new Chuckit Flying Squirrel for Zeke. A lady walked up to me and began asking how old they were, etc. She then said, "I was just curious about their ages since we just got a lab puppy." I asked her how old it was and she said it was with them and her son was carrying it since it couldn't walk on a leash yet. At this point, I thought she meant because it had not learned to walk on leash---but then he walked up and I swear that puppy looked about 4 or 5 weeks ago at most! I could tell I made her mad when I told her it looked awfully young to be away from his mother and littermates and that they certainly shouldn't have it out until it had all of its puppy shots.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She was holding it.
I know people dont "think" (or maybe they dont care) about what a puppy can get from being out that young. I have seen puppies in the mall or kmart or target but in a place that sells food?? The girl was a teenager why couldnt she have stayed in the car with the puppy??

·
Registered
830 Posts
Some people just simply don't know what a puppy can catch.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
(MAYBE 5 weeks old and thats pushing it)
:eek: :eek: ::) Can't believe some people. I don't know which is worse: The breeders that sold the pup that young, OR the new owners that bought it.

Can't believe they took the puppy with them into the grocery store!

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
We had a lady bring her new puppy straight from the breeders to the church to show it off. Then she was going to the store she owns at a truck stop. I tried to tell her it wasn't a good idea, but she said, Oh he had his puppy shot. At least I tried.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
...I have seen puppies in the mall or kmart or target but in a place that sells food??...
As far as I know, it is totaly against the health codes for any animal other than working service animals to be in a store that sells food. Even if this pup was being raised to be a service dog, it shouldn't have been in the store.

...The girl was a teenager why couldnt she have stayed in the car with the puppy??...
Exactly what should have been done.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
MicksMom said:
...I have seen puppies in the mall or kmart or target but in a place that sells food??...
As far as I know, it is totaly against the health codes for any animal other than working service animals to be in a store that sells food. Even if this pup was being raised to be a service dog, it shouldn't have been in the store.
Oh pa-lease! You know how many people bring their small accessory dogs with them EVERYWHERE?! You might not be aware, but these dogs are hidden in bags in stores, church and even restaurants. Trust me, I can attest, as my brother and his wife bring their two 3 lb. Malteses everywhere. If you didn't know they were there.....you'd never find out. They don't make a peep. I don't necessarily agree with it, but they're their babies, so I keep my mouth shut. ::)

I agree there's no good reason for that person to bring such a small dog in a store, but perhaps we might give her the benefit of the doubt - maybe she's hand nursing that pup for some reason? No? I dunno....just trying my best to justify some people's actions. :-\

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd venture a guess that I could set 10 5-week old puppies in front of you and 10 6-week old puppies in front of you and you'd be lucky to get them 1/2 right.

We took our boy at 8 weeks and he was all of 3/4 lb heavier than he was at 6 weeks. Other than being a little steadier on his feet, he didn't look much different. He certainly didn't look different enough for someone who saw him being held (for all of a minute or so) to tell how old he was.

In short, I'm constantly amazed at the lengths some folks on here will go to judge people. The probably just got the dog and were not comfortable leaving it unattended. Maybe it was cold and the daughter didn't want to sit in the car (or maybe it was too hot). There are many circumstances that could have led a reasonable person to believe that this was a prudent course of action.

Stories like Joe's story and any number of others should provide some perspective. Unfortunately, it would appear they don't. There are scads of truly bad dog owners out there, I'd suggest being a little less hard on the ones that are just a little misguided.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pattons Padre said:
In short, I'm constantly amazed at the lengths some folks on here will go to judge people.
I did not judge anyone. I said I made me mad and that I didn't agree with it. That is an opinion not a judgement!!
I think all the drama you are looking for is over in O&E ::)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
LabMommyKathryn said:
Pattons Padre said:
In short, I'm constantly amazed at the lengths some folks on here will go to judge people.
I did not judge anyone. I said I made me mad and that I didn't agree with it. That is an opinion not a judgement!!
I think all the drama you are looking for is over in O&E ::)
I'm not trying to argue here, really, I'm not. I like you and am not trying to start an argument, but an opinion is something you do after you know the facts. A judgement is what you do when you're basing an opinion on something you don't know the facts on. Does that make sense? Just trying to say that maybe (hopefully) there was a reason for it, not just a bad call.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For whatever reason the puppy was in the store. I cant rewind time and NOT have the puppy in the store. whats done is done.
The point in this is I felt it was wrong in many diffrent ways.
Whatever its done its over..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts