Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share this web page with everyone. I was on it doing some research on Ear Cankers, I need the actual cause, treatment and yadda yadda yadda stuff. I was just about to leave this site because it didn't offer any real information, just buy this, when I spotted a link that said How to Become a Dog Breeder. I clicked on it hoping to find a big long article on why you shouldn't breed but if after reading this you decide you still want to, then here is how you do it right. Nope, nadda. I only scanned it but it did offer you a list of everything you would need, pens, books, etc. I stopped reading because I really do have work to do but it ticked me off. I thought I would share it. I understand wanting to sell products but there could be some accountability, I mean come on. The first paragraph after So you want to be a breeder or something like that was

"If you are serious about becoming a successful dog breeder, it can be done. The rewards are worth the work, especially if you love dogs to begin with."

Then it goes on about a book and how not to fail but be careful you don't want to be a puppy mill at which point it says this wonderful little sentence. (one of my favourites I might add)

"One of the main differences between Puppy Mills (you’ve seen them on the
News) and reputable breeders, is the equipment. You need clean and
humane equipment."

I mean that's all you need. I have clean kennels and their humane so I guess I'm in the clear, no puppy mill here. Of course, there are no puppies here either but that's a moot point. I thought a reputable breeder did clearances, researched their pedigrees and which dogs they were adding to their lines, titled their dogs in various competitions but from what I read all I need is clean and humane equipment. Oh and a coaching book on breeding and something for housetraining the little puppies I produce. I didn't read the product description but it was something that cost about 50 bucks. Not bad. Then I can sit back bread my dogs and enjoy the rewards.

Enough to make me scream. Anyway, here is the link http://www.puppy-dogs.info/wst_page7.html so you can all scream with me.

Back to work and then I have to hippity hoppity around the house. Poor dogs have to spend a night in their clean and humane kennels to avoid chocolate poisoning.

Have a great and chocolate safe easter everyone.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Just the thought of the article made me wanna puke. I could not read it. Surely this was directed at people who are responsible breeders and want to do what is right for their dogs.

I guess I am a good breeder also, even though Tal is neutered. But he does have clean and humane equipment.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
whats a puppy mill?
It is a breeder who produces puppies for the sake of $$ and no regard to their health, temperament and such. Their dogs live in awful conditions and basically exist with little human contact and just produce litter after litter of puppies. These are the folks who usually supply pet stores that sell puppies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts