Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Celebrities announcing how much they are giving to Haiti. Seriously? Need some pats on the back, do you? Even on Facebook, beople are announcing their generosity. Not that they gave, no, dollar ammounts. I find this tacky to no end. And not because the Bible says it, it's just manners in general, who does that? You give to get recognition?

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

—Matthew 6:3-4

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oprah started the trend, always announcing what she did and how much it cost. It makes me ill.

When you give, it should be because you want to help, not because you want people to KNOW you gave!

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I haven't seen many of my friends post how much they have given, but a lot of them have re-posted the link/instructions on how to donate so that it goes on your cell phone bill. I think that is one of the coolest things ever!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Celebrities announcing how much they are giving to Haiti. Seriously? Need some pats on the back, do you? Even on Facebook, beople are announcing their generosity. Not that they gave, no, dollar ammounts. I find this tacky to no end. And not because the Bible says it, it's just manners in general, who does that? You give to get recognition?

Sure it's tacky, but at least they're giving and if it becomes a mini-war between celebrities to see who will give the most, then I'm all for it.

The Haitians need the money and that's the bottom line.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen many of my friends post how much they have given, but a lot of them have re-posted the link/instructions on how to donate so that it goes on your cell phone bill. I think that is one of the coolest things ever!
That is cool. What is not cool is 2 people on my list saying "I just donated $100 to Haiti, God bless them", followed by a string of comments like "Oh bless you for helping". "We did too, Tom gave $200 this morning, so sad" etc. A simple "I helped" would suffice.

Wrong.

The link would be much more helpful and a lot less self-serving.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
And what do you expect from most of them? As said, at least it helps, money from a low life **** head is better than no money.;)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I totally agree. I don't need to know how much you gave nor do I care, but please feel free to share with me how I too could help or how other people can help too. It also may make people feel bad for not being able to give a lot. "Oh, Tom gave $200, I can only afford $50"

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
It's just the tackiness that bugs me. Not suggesting they don't give.
Oh I know, but I don't expect anything but tacky out of folks like that, works good, I'm not disappointed that way and once in a while I get a nice surprise.:D

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The one where you can charge $10 to your cell phone bill? I've seen that one on facebook, and I agree, that's a little different.

·
Registered
533 Posts
They're wasting their money. It won't go to the people that need it. The corrupt Government will take it all for themselves. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
The one where you can charge $10 to your cell phone bill? I've seen that one on facebook, and I agree, that's a little different.

Yup that's the one. I think it's very cool that the cell phone companies and the Red Cross have paired up like that. It makes it very easy to donate, plus you don't have to put anything out of your pocket at that very moment.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I don't know...I think with celebrities it's more of a challenge--if so-and-so gave 1 million, why shouldn't I give 1M? Or 2M? Yes, it's braggish, but it's going to support a good cause. I don't think it's any different than a church pressuring members to tithe certain amounts or percentages every year. Give what you are comfortable with and don't worry about what others think. Share the amount if you want, but if it bothers you, don't. It's not that much different from buying something and sharing the cost--all of these things were considered tacky at one point.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
It's not that much different from buying something and sharing the cost--all of these things were considered tacky at one point.

Tacky is tacky, doesn't matter that some folks decide it's not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.