Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently had to quit my job. A couple of months ago I had posted a thread about allergies from hell, well, it finally got to the point where I couldn't work at the flower shop anymore. I ended up getting an epi-pen to carry because some of the flowers were actually starting to affect my throat and tongue... NOT a pleasant feeling.

Luckily, we're not in a situation where I HAVE to work, I was wanting to work, that's why I went to the flower shop and had been there almost 2 years. Jobs around here are kind of a hit and a miss. I could have had a job at the hospital in Admitting but due to all the different schedules, there was just no way I could do it. One of them being graveyard.. 10:30pm to 8:30am. Not the kind of hours I need with a hubby that starts work at 5am and 3 kids to get out the door by 7:20am to catch the bus. I've been researching course offerings from different colleges and universities in the state seeing what kind of distance education or online degrees are available. I know I won't be able to do what I would love to do, which is be a Speech Therapist ( I would love to work with kids due to having a son that went through LOTS of speech once his cleft was found at almost 4yrs ! :mad: , still not happy with that doctor about that) I'd have to travel to Boise, ID which is just over 2 hrs from here and it takes a masters degree to be a speech therapist. So.... I've looked through different career choices and decided to look more into persuing a degree for working in a medical office or hospital. It would be an Adimistrative Assistant degree with a medical option.

I'm 35 yrs old and am scared to death about taking college courses. I wouldn't actually be on a campus, we have a local office here through Blue Mt Community College located in Pendleton, OR. Does anyone who has done this have any advice for me?? Did you go full time or half time? I know I'm going to have to really search for financial aid because that will be the only way I'll be able to go back. Hubby seems to think I need to get a home based business going (don't know what the hell that's supposed to be ::) ) and that way I can have the extra money to pay for schooling. Even if I can get in starting fall term, it's a 2 year degree and that's if I go full time :mad:

G

·
Go for it!! I started working on my PhD at age 51. Have one year under my belt and am really thrilled that I decided to go for it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm a traditional student (24, law student) but I just wanted to say that my school LOVES non-traditional students. Our administration (rightly so) feels that non traditional students often have a different and more seasoned perspective on things than 22-25 year olds. Good luck!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I am in the "go for it" group, I went back to school at age 30 to get my nursing degree. With two small kids and luckily a very supportive husband! I went full time, did not work the first 2 yrs. and have only worked part time since I graduated in 1993. It was great for me, and perfect for our family. I have always been able to work my schedule around what works for all of us and I wouldn't want it any other way! Good luck with your decision, you'll know when its the right one. On another note, I drive through Pendleton a couple times a year on my way to visit the relates in Caldwell ID.:), and once a year during the summer, we have a family reunion at a park just east of Pendleton, and we always spend the night at the Red Lion. Always thought it might be a nice place to live, love your weather and even though it has grown alot, its still small by city standards!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ;D

I'll be able to have a good talk with hubby tomorrow after he gets home from work and before the kids get home from school. That's when we're sitting down and going through our budget anyway. Perfect opportunity to bring it up. ;)

Diane... yes Pendleton is nice. My mom and other family members live there. I swear my mom lives for Round-Up, lol. And luckily it's not far from Baker where I am. But my hubby hates Pendleton... to many one way streets. The kids and I go over when we can. In fact, we're planning a trip over the end of July.. my baby sister is having her 3rd baby (I finally get a nephew..whooo hooo) and I'm definetly going to be there for that. ;D I'm the only one that's had boys, between my 2 sisters and 1 brother... there's 4 nieces. And when you pass through Baker on your way to Caldwell, I could almost wave at you from my house, lol. We can see part of the freeway from here.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
my mom is 55 years old and started back to school. she is going back for her doctorate and hasn't taken any class is over 8 years. she is nervous but very excited about all the prospects this degree could offer her. i also say go for it and good luck.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
gabbys mom said:
I'm a traditional student (24, law student) but I just wanted to say that my school LOVES non-traditional students. Our administration (rightly so) feels that non traditional students often have a different and more seasoned perspective on things than 22-25 year olds. Good luck!
I can echo that same sentiment, although I'm not sure our school targets non-traditionals, we do have a fair number.

In undergrad, there were people well into their 70s taking classes towards their bachelors. In law school, there are quite a few non-traditional students. I was one of the youngest in my masters program. It's becoming so common-place that I don't think you'll feel weird at all. I think that's a great idea and you should go for it...in today's job market, education is the most valuable currency out there.

G

·
Education is never a bad thing.

There's a 95 year old lady at Fort Hays State University (where I go) that's graduating this semester. Talk about your non-traditional student. She's a history major if I remember correctly. I think she's booked to appear on Leno soon. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

I'm 31 and I go online only, no patience for classroom stuff (tried that for 5 semesters and hated it). I like having my own schedule and being able to travel without missing any class time. I also get to go to class in my pajamas if I choose, or do my homework at work if I have down time, it's totally flexible. I know a lot of older people and working moms who go online because they can't work the physical time away from home into their schedules. I work 8-5 M-f and like having a life. I don't want to be in a classroom every night until 9 and on Saturday too.

The only downside to online classes is you have to be incredibly self motivated and organized. Its very easy to slack off. That applies to teachers too so you have to ride their butts sometimes to get answers or get things you need if they're not on the ball. That's really no different than traditional classes as far as my experiences though.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have been taking continuing education classes over the years. I started doing this to keep current in my field,but I found out something else. I discovered, this was the one thing that I can do just for me. I know it sounds selfish ,but it is nice, even if it's one or two classes a semester. I not looking for a career change, so I take a course here and their.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts