Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my car off this morning for 30,000 mile service. They told me $1,015. I thought "crap! that's expensive" but figured that's just how much it is (it's Lexus). I talked to my hubby a little while ago, and he asked me to call another dealer to see how much they charge for 30,000 service, so I called the dealer near my house and they charge $445! I called and left a message where my car is and told them that the other dealer only charges $445 and asked them to call me back and tell me why there is such a big difference. They are also charging me $395 for front brakes. :(

I guess I'll ask to see the service manager if they still want to charge me $1015.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Re: Think I got screwed by my car dealer on service - what should I do?

Wow, I would go pick up my car right now and take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I will pick it up if they haven't worked on it, but it's already been there 4 hours so it's probably done.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

is $395 on top of the $1015? or is it all included???

Hmm you may want to take your car to the other dealer....

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

bibber said:
I will pick it up if they haven't worked on it, but it's already been there 4 hours so it's probably done.
Oh...in that case I'd definitely put up a stink when I go to pick it up! Tell them the other place is charging way lower etc etc and if you had known you'd have taken the car there and they should match the price. Can't hurt...

hmm perhaps don't be too obnoxious at first. Start out polite and then take it from there...But definitely say something!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts

That's NUTS!! for a car that only has 30,000 miles on it. If you throw a fit about it they will take some off the bill I guarentee it. Most dealerships charge outrageous prices for maintnence that really doesn't need to be done.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

Call and see if it's done. If it's not, tell them to stop wherever they are, put your car back together, and you'll take it somewhere else. You can definitely say it nicely but firmly. They're yanking you around and that's definitely not fair.

My car has 33,000 miles on it too. If someone told me I had to pay $1100 for it to get worked on, I'd freak out. There should be NOTHING wrong with a car with that few miles on it, IMO. At the risk of sounding paranoid, I'd suspect that they're looking for problems where there aren't any.

Hope it works out for you! What a crappy situation!

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

is $395 on top of the $1015?
Yes, the charges are separate.

I've been happy with this dealer so far, all my services have been in the $100-$200 range.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

bibber said:
is $395 on top of the $1015?
Yes, the charges are separate.

I've been happy with this dealer so far, all my services have been in the $100-$200 range.
Ack! call right now and find out if they are done or not. If not tell them you are taking the car to the other place.

Otherwise like I said before...definitely say something about reducing the price. That's a lot of mula for 30,000 mile maintanence even for a Lexus...

·
Registered
13,130 Posts

What the hell are they doing for $1000? You shouldn't need brakes at 30,000 miles either. When I turned in my lease with 47,000 miles on it I had never put tires or brakes on it. It didn't need it. you are getting majorly ripped off. It's a Lexus not a Ferrari! A Lexus is just a fancy Toyota.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts

Sounds like you're getting majorly screwed. Gawd...that's awful.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts

She may need new brakes- it depends on where you drive. In the city you require brakes sooner than someone who lives where there is less traffic.

I know when dh takes his car in for service, it does go up as the mileage gets higher, but never anything that high. I think the most he has paid for a service check at 75,000km was $450.

I will be interested to hear their explanation.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts

My dealership can't perform any maintenance without approval from me. If you OK'd the work, you might be screwed. If I had to spend 1000 bucks, when a car is still under warranty, I'd be a bit more than upset!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

I took my Mazda in for it's 54K km check in October and the set fee is around $250 for that one. In the "check up" I needed new brakes and a few other little things done but before they did anything they called and asked if I wanted it done. they need at least a verbal okay before theys tart work unless the agreement you sign when dropping it off says otherwise. if you did not authorize the work you shouldn't have to pay 9regardless of your history with them) In the end I authorized everythign and my 250 turned into over $700 but I knew that before they started work.

could it be they assume you will authroize or that the paper you signed at drop off says you authorize any work neccessary? Or were they calling to get your okay before proceeding?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I called the $445 dealer back to confirm the price and find out exactly what they do. Then I called the $1015 dealer since they had not called me back. They said that they match prices but they were trying to figure out why there's such a big discrepancy. So now I'm waiting to hear back. I also called a third dealer who charges $511. So if I end up paying $445-$500 I'll feel ok, but I am going to have to raise a fuss if they try to charge me more. I hope it doesn't come to that because I hate confrontation, but I'll do it if I have to.

edited to add: I initialed and signed that I agreed to the price, so I'm screwed unless they adjust the price. But I will make it clear that they have lost a customer forever, and from what I've seen (up until this point) they are all about customer satisfaction.

another edit: I do at least 50% stop and go driving on the freeways of So Cal, so I'm always on my brakes.

·
Registered
219 Posts

I'm not sure if your Lexus is like ours but here is how they price these "maintenance" services:

The first 15,000 is like $500.00 (odds and ends nothing major but still a major rip off)
30,000 it goes up considerably like around $1,200 (again nothing major and still ripping you off)
50,000 it goes up around $2,000 (nothing major and still ripping you off)

My point is these service charges get more expensive as you get more miles on your vehicle. I would highly recommend taking it somewhere else. You'll save a fortune!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

It's not terribly unnatural to need your brakes replaced at 30K miles. Really depends on the driver and the driving conditions.

Hope they adjust the maintanence fee for you though. Keep us posted :)

G

·

honestly, and I used to work Customer Service for GM (hated that job). Call Lexus customer service and complain, and see if that is indeed right. You have every right to do that. Heck, you might get something free out of it.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts

dare1969 said:
honestly, and I used to work Customer Service for GM (hated that job). Call Lexus customer service and complain, and see if that is indeed right. You have every right to do that. Heck, you might get something free out of it.
Also, if you tell the dealership you are going to complain (and have the national customer service number with you to prove you will), they may be more flexible. They don't want to be complained about to the mothership.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts

HaleyCherry07 said:
I'm not sure if your Lexus is like ours but here is how they price these "maintenance" services:

The first 15,000 is like $500.00 (odds and ends nothing major but still a major rip off)
30,000 it goes up considerably like around $1,200 (again nothing major and still ripping you off)
50,000 it goes up around $2,000 (nothing major and still ripping you off)

My point is these service charges get more expensive as you get more miles on your vehicle. I would highly recommend taking it somewhere else. You'll save a fortune!
Pardon my ignorance on this,but do you have to follow the dealer maintenance schedule or fees? Does opting to go somewhere else for the "check ups" void the warranty? I've had quite a few cars in my life and I don't recall shelling out 500 simolians for a 15K check up. I've been buying lease buy-backs for the last few years and we handle are maintenance differently. Just curious about this scheduled maintenance thing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts