Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the deaths at VT. I've been reading about them on facebook...and the messages from the VT students posted there is gut wrenching.

If you have facebook, the group is Prayers for VT and the other one is I'm okay at VT. Very sad stuff.

There is also a message board set up by students if you wish to leave condolences: www.vttragedy.com.

And the latest that is being circulated to all university officials as we are all now scrambling to put into place plans to help in case this happens at our school:

More Details About Deadly Virginia Tech Shootings Emerge During Press Conference

April 16, 2007 - It was an early Monday morning at Virginia Tech, a campus on the cusp of the final exams finish line. Yet, by morning's end, the campus was a crime scene, site of the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history. At press time, Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said that 33 people, including a gunman, died today with at least 29 wounded being treated at area hospitals.

Here are the details we know so far, according to a late afternoon press conference held at Virginia Tech with President Steger, university police Chief Wendell Flinchum and others:
At approximately 7:15 am on Monday, a gunman shot two students in "a dormitory room," Flinchum said. Those students were transported to the hospital and died.
The 895-student residence hall where the shooting occurred, West Ambler Johnston Hall, was secured immediately.
According to officials, they had reason to believe the shooter had left the building and the campus so the decision was made at that point not to shut down the campus and cancel classes. Flinchum said information initially pointed to it being "an isolated event to that building."
Approximately two hours later, shooting occurred in Norris Hall, the campus engineering and science building. Calling it "a tragic and sorrowful crime scene," Steger said 30 people were killed there.
It is not yet known if the two shootings are connected, Flinchum said, and the investigation is ongoing.
There is no word yet on how many of the victims were students.
No shootout between officers and the gunman took place, Flinchum said. "The gunman took his own life," the chief told reporters, stating that the shooter's body was found inside Norris Hall. It is unclear if another gunman was involved. "No one is in custody at this time," said Flinchum.
Preliminary reports suggest that some of the Norris Hall doors were chained from the inside, Flinchum said, calling that "unusual."
Bodies of Norris Hall victims were found in various locations throughout the building, not just one classroom, as rumors have suggested. Investigators are in the process of identifying the victims, Steger said, and a list is anticipated to be released on Tuesday once family members have been notified.
"We're trying to do everything we can for these families," said Steger. The Inn at Virginia Tech has been designated as a space where parents can receive information and counseling support.
State police, the Red Cross, local authorities, the ATF and the FBI are all lending support, with President Bush also pledging federal assistance. "Today our nation grieves with those who have lost loved ones," he said. Both the House and Senate observed moments of silence for the victims.
Several counseling centers are open on campus and a convocation will be held at 2 pm (EST) on Tuesday to help the community address this tragedy. Virginia Tech is also updating campus community members via email and the university website.
Steger said the campus lockdown system involved notifying university community members through i-messaging, email, phone trees and the emergency alert system. Approximately 9,000 of Virginia Tech's 26,000 students live on campus while many of the others were in transit when the first shootings occurred Monday morning. Resident assistants were called, Steger said, so they could alert residents to what was happening.
Many students tapped into Facebook as a way of communicating and coping throughout the day. An "I'm okay at VT" message board was created, according to CNN, with many postings. The Virginia Tech sports message board was also overwhelmed, CNN reported, to the point that the University of Virginia offered up their message board to help students stay connected.

Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell, when asked by CNN about a motive for the shootings, said "We don’t have those answers at this time." During the Monday afternoon press conference, Steger hinted that the residence hall shooting might have been "domestic in nature," yet a complete investigation is still required.

Today marks the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history. In 1999, 12 students, one teacher and the two gunmen died at Colorado's Columbine High School - a defining moment for many of today's traditional-aged college students. In 1966, 13 people and the gunman died at the University of Texas. The violence at Virginia Tech today is a very sad mark in higher education history.

We'll keep you informed regarding the latest news on this campus tragedy as developments occur.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
So tragic. The top guy at VT was on with Diane Sawyer this morning and he was saying that there were possibly 2 gunmen.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
:'(

I posted in AbbyandMolly's thread that my sister was a VT alumni and she had taken survival defense and her instructor, Joe, his father was a professor there. He was one of the professors killed. His name was Liviu Librescu. :'( :'(

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Goodness this sucks :(

So far my friends are not on the lists that I've seen. I tried them again this morning, but their cell phones went straight to voice mail and nobody answered at their house. I'm hoping that they're ok and that their mom just went to work as usual or that maybe they are both on their way home. The more I thought last night, the more I thought they are probably ok, but it's going to nag at me until I know for sure.

:'(

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
My heart goes out to the victims and their families. I hope that we can finally learn from this and install real emergency plans for this sort of thing as a standard (like fire drills and fire emergency plans) for all schools at all levels. Ever since Chapman we've needed this sort of thing established. Tragic waste of lives.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
They ID'ed the gunman as a student from S. Korea. His name was Cho Seung-Hui and he was 23 years old.

P

·
0 Posts
MickeysMommy said:
My heart goes out to the victims and their families. I hope that we can finally learn from this and install real emergency plans for this sort of thing as a standard (like fire drills and fire emergency plans) for all schools at all levels. Ever since Chapman we've needed this sort of thing established. Tragic waste of lives.
I'm hoping this changes things at my campus as well. I feel my kids are safe. They have a resource officer (sheriff's deputy) on campus. They have recently changed to a buzz to enter system at the front door only. So supposedly no one is getting in that isn't supposed to. And I am almost ready for metal detectors at my kids school now. :(

But for me, I checked and there is nothing in the 11 pages of emergency procedures regarding any kind of lockdown. So I will be looking into this and seeing why there isn't, what can be done, how the campus as a whole would be notified......I don't care how many buildings there are on campus, there should be some kind of PA system. No one should have been in classes yesterday at VT. :'( :angel:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
One of the profs killed was one whom my DH worked for when we were both students there. Prayers for the family of Dr. Loganathan.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I still cannot wrap my head around what happened. It seems so surreal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts