Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you mentioned in another thread that you thought Pantene shampoos were harsh. What would you recommend for color-treated hair? Remember, I'm in BFE and don't have access to what ever isn't in a drug store and even that is limited. TIA.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Oh good question!! I will be watching this thread for her answer. I just got my highlights done yesterday and wondered if I should go buy a new shampoo/conditioner.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I've been using Pantene for 25 years and I love it. Always getting compliments on my hair. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
For Colour treated hair, i highly recommend L'Oreal Vive Pro.. it always worked well for me..

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Laura, I use the Neutrogena moisturizing shampoo (pink stuff in clear bottle) and once in a while the Neutrogena extra-moisturizing cream shampoo in a tube. Helps keep my color cleaner and brighter longer.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I am just seenig this now, Laura. Sorry for the delay. I am answering before reading all of the replies you already recieved, so pardon if any of it is repeated =)

I steer away from Lauryl Sulfate, both Sodium, and Ammonium. Sometimes I use a sulfate-free shampoo, but generally I try to stick with shampoos containing the much gentler Sodium LaurETH sulfate as their surfactant. The harsher the sulfate, the more drying to your hair, and being wavy, my hair can become poofy if over-cleansed , over-conditioned, or under-cleansed, under-conditioned. I's a balancing act for me. There's few things that I try to stay away from ingredient-wise in shampoos & conditioners that I know don't work well for me, personally. I have to watch out for build-up too, so I stay away from conditioning agents like silicones in my shampoos... save them for the conditioners.

If you tell me what product you are curious about, I can take a look at the ingredients for you. If I know it, I'll tell you, and if I don't, I'll tell you that too. I've become quite the cosmetics chemist over the years, lol!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Oh good question!! I will be watching this thread for her answer. I just got my highlights done yesterday and wondered if I should go buy a new shampoo/conditioner.

The hair cosmetics industry is very poorly regulated, and companies can make really misleading claims without being called on them. They tend to *bend* the truth a lot.

The main enemies of colour is water & sun (uv). Uv "protectants" in hair products are virtually useless. Even if you could equally coat each strand of hair, the hair would have to remain saturated to provide any real benefit, and even that would be minimal. Wear a hat (or scarf/do-rag/whathaveyou).

What you wash your coloured hair with is inconsequential. all shampoos are basically "colour safe", it's just a marketing ploy. But harsh surfactants can be too much for any hair, not just colour treated. Try to stick with gentle, mild surfactant shampoos (think sodium laureth sulfate rather than lauryl sulfate), but less frequent washing will be your best move. hilighted hair is dry, so a rich conditioner is necessary, but go sparingly around your scalp so your hair doesn't get limp as fast.:)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
My step-brother is a hair stylist. He also says that Pantene is bad for color treated hair.

With all due respect, stylists are not chemists. I have not met one stylist (and I go to a great one) yet who knows as much as me about ingredients, and I am self-taught. A lot of times, stylists only know the basic product knowledge taught to them by the suppliers. But stylists are there to give us great haircuts, not chemistry lessons ;)

As I mentioned above, the main causes of colour fade are the sun & plain old water. There is no ingredient that will preserve colour, other than a colour depositing shampoo. What you wash with is of little consequence when it comes to making colour last longer. There is no ingredient in ANY Pantene formula that isn't in salon brands. Proctor & Gamble own Pantene, they also make Frederic Fekkai, Wella & Sebastian, to name a few salon lines. The ingredients in their drugstore lines are the same as their salon lines, although the formulas vary slightly, the main difference is really fragrance.

L'oreal, another cosmetics giant, own the drugstore Vive lines, which are generally excellent (there are a few misses, but more hits). The also own Khiels, Kerestase, Redken, Pureology, and Matrix. The same holds true for them, same ingredients, slightly different formulas.

Pantene is one of the best performing conditioners on the market today, and stands up (and above, in many cases) to anything you buy in a salon. P&G hare HUGE, and spend a LOT on research & development, so accross the board, they are making great products.

the trick is to learn about the chemistry of hair, and haircare ingredients. learn what your hair responds well to, and how to cut through the marketing BS of the haircare industry. If your $30 shampoo works great for you, and you can afford it, buy it, but because you love it, not because you think there is nothing as "good" in the drugstore. There is, you just have to know how to look :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I actually use pantene conditioner, and shampoo from the salon that's tinted to my hair colour.. which i find does a good job with my colour treated hair, but you have to wipe the tub down afterward because it can stain.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
What about ammonium lauryl sulfate? My Neutrogena moisturizing has both sodium laureth sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulfate, the Neutrogena anti-residue has just the ammonium lauryl sulfate. The Neutrogena Extra Moisturizing cream shampoo has neither.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
What about ammonium lauryl sulfate? My Neutrogena moisturizing has both sodium laureth sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulfate, the Neutrogena anti-residue has just the ammonium lauryl sulfate. The Neutrogena Extra Moisturizing cream shampoo has neither.

Lauryl sulfate, either soduim or ammonium, are harsher than LAURETH sulfate. It all depends on what your hair likes, what else is in the formula to counteract the harshness, and how frequently you wash. For me, Lauryl sulfates are too harsh. Usually, a company puts a lot of moisturizing ingredients, like silicones & fatty alcohols in a "moisturizing" shampoo formula for a few reasons, to counteract the drying effects of the surfactants, as well as to leave behind a bit of the ingredients on the hair, and to minimize roughing up the cuticle of the hair whole washing it. I personally stay away from such formulas as I find they weigh my hair down too much and tend to build up rather quickly. I don't wash my hair every day, so I like a shampoo that cleans gently, & doesn't put a lot of conditioning agents on it. I use conditioner for that. My hair stays bouncy & cleaner, longer this way.

I use Neutrogena anti-residue once every 2 weeks, and have for as long as I can remember. It s excellent to use as a 'clarifier", to remove build up from moisturizing ingredients in shampoos, conditioners, treatments and styling products (if you use them). What makes this a great clarifier is it's complete absence of any moisturizing or conditioning ingredients, it just plain cleans, & that's it.:)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't have a specific shampoo in mind, Theresa. I remember you saying that about Pantene shampoos and I've been using the color revival one for the past month.

I'm so limited here. I can get Vive, VO5, Treseme (sp), some Dove shampoos. I'll look through the ingredients the next time I'm at the store, but I'm betting all of the have the ingredients in it that you recommend not using.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts