Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I did a little investigating this morning with Walmart and Telecheck. This was prompted by something I recently went through. Here is the short background.

Wrote check at Walmart on 1st of April out of my childsupport account. Ex Husbands bank had a software issue and did not auto deposit my child support by 1st. Child support cleared on the 4th. Walmart check was returned on the 4th. Telecheck redeposited and it cleared on the 9th. I was charged $30 by Telecheck on the 20th.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM. When you know the check is not going to clear and you call Walmart to take them a money order, they give you Telechecks number. When you call Telecheck, there is not any way to clear your name up for 14 days. During this time, you cannot write any checks off your account with any merchant that uses Telecheck until they (Telecheck) processes their $30 fee at a later date.

There was NOTHING I could do to remedy the problem quickly. This JUST AIN'T RIGHT!

D

·
0 Posts
Probably no recourse for you with Telecheck, but maybe you can avoid this happening by linking this account to another one?? I have all my accounts linked online and can simply move money around when I need to. I understand that you do not want to muddy up the financial record attached to the child support account, but in a pinch this could help.

I also have a line of credit attached to one of my checking accounts, and have not bounced anything in 15 years. Would that work for you?

Another idea - can you get a debit card for the support account? That way it gets accepted or not at the point of sale if the retailer is online. Otherwise it gets paid and you hold the bag if there are not enough funds. It does not get charged back to the retailer unless attempts to collect from you (by the bank) fail.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I would like to state that I hate telecheck. We use them at Hollister (and I think at VS) and they're never nice, and they're always rude when I have to call for a customer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I had the same thing happen with me at WalMart. The check they took from me got stuck in their printer and got garbled so the account numbers got messed up. My bank couldn't read it so it sent it back as "No such account". Well we finally got it all straightened out and I didn't end up having to pay for anything. (Other than therapy needed from dealing with morons) So 2 weeks later I go to Target and try to write a check and it gets denied. They compare information with different checking companies and I guess Telecheck never updated mine. Grrrrrr..... :mad:

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is... It feels like Telecheck has a little too much power here. There isn't a way for people to resolve and get on with their lives when a mishap takes place. Something about it just does not seem right or lawful. I just can't put my finger on it though.

I write checks on that account so that I can have a paper trail in hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts