Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The word spreads fast.

"Rumor has it that there's a corn feeder and free eats over at Cappy's place, let's go take a look."

Our "regular two" Canada Geese have been back with us for a couple weeks now. Last week they came in one morning and brought some hybrids with them. They stayed for a day but we haven't seen them since.

This morning I was out throwing a few bumpers for the pups when I heard honking getting closer and closer. I looked to the west and here came an even dozen of them. Our two regulars peeled off and landed in the pond below the house. Ten more made a wide pass then they too touched down in the water by the first two.

I had lost track of what my two dawgs were doing as I was intently watching the geese doing their thing. I looked down and saw both Cappy and Remi seated at my left hee,l staring back and forth at the geese and me ... waiting for a command. "Good dawgs" I told them ... "we just have to wait a few more months, ok?" I think they knew I was fibbing.

;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
How gorgeous! I would love to walk out of my house and see that! Alls I see is my fence and my neighbor's new pool! Grrrr! LOL We might be moving in the next year...maybe to tx...that is where my husband is working now...I might have to find me some land like that!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I love, love, love Canadian Geese. We have three regulars, and they often bring in a few more here and there. At one point I counted 23 in our backyard (we live on 100 acres). I just love watching them. We have horses and a large outdoor arena, and often when we are riding they will fly so low over head the horses are not quite sure what to make of it. They are wonderful creatures, you got some great shots!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I love, love, love Canadian Geese. We have three regulars, and they often bring in a few more here and there. At one point I counted 23 in our backyard (we live on 100 acres). I just love watching them. We have horses and a large outdoor arena, and often when we are riding they will fly so low over head the horses are not quite sure what to make of it. They are wonderful creatures, you got some great shots!
Just to help you know, they are "Canada Geese", not Canadians. The latter refers to humans rather than birds. I agree with you, we enjoy them a lot despite the obvious inconsistency of "harvesting" them elsewhere during the waterfowl season. The reason we have so many regular visitors is that we do keep corn out for them to eat year around. It's particularly important to them during the colder months when their normal food sources become very scarce.

The ducks and geese on our home property are perfectly safe here with us. Even though the dawgs train here almost every day during the off-season, they are conditioned to leave the waterfowl alone and often retrieve bumpers and frisbees within a few scant yards of the birds. Similarly, the birds are alert to the dawgs presence but aren't alarmed to see them running 10 yards or so away.

Five miles down the road at our wetlands hunting property, it's quite a different story. Ducks and geese are fair game there and the dawgs literally shake with excitement when they get within 50 yards of one. Interesting animals, these Labs, huh?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
We have Canada Geese out in the water in front of our home all the time...Gracie just loves to chase them..Lola is still not quite sure of them:)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I hope you shoot them all. Sorry, but I do not like Canadian Geese. They have become a blight in so many areas. Thankfully they prefer my neighbors place over mine (they have a pond) but they are here year round and you can't walk over there without walking in geese poop. They are EVERYWHERE, and they can be mean.

I wish you the BEST hunting season for these geese ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts