Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhat tongue in cheek, but with some real concern I have began my annual Arbor Day rant. Would not fly today, replace the native flora with a non-native one. Today the Tall Grass Prairie of the eastern part of The Great Plains is very endangered, the Short-Grass Prairie is in much better shape because it is used mostly for cattle raising and this is really a good thing for it as long as it's not over grazed.

Anyway today's word from Newbrassky is:

Remember Only You Can Prevent a Forest ;)

B

·
0 Posts
AMEN to that. I refuse to live in another house that has a tree in the yard.

Maybe it's my NE Colorado roots showing. ;D

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are buying our house on a rent to own from one of Rita's friends, when I have total contol of it the trees in the back yard are going and Tall Grass Prairie is going in the back yard, and will be allowed to grow like it should, with no mowing. Can you say Envirmental Friendly. ;D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The last several years hubby his brother have celebrated Arbor Day by cutting down a tree or two or three. :D :D :D

Yep, that what we do at a registered tree farm & sawmill.

Gotta keep them woods 'clean', harvest the mature before they become diseased or blow down and injure the immature trees, keep parts of the canopy open, you know.

They tried starting an oak savanna last spring on 20a., couple of thousand bucks of prairie seed and oak seedlings and lots of work ---and last summer's 'dry spell' wiped out all the seedling oaks. :p :p :p :p
Mother Nature can be/is a B*tch. :mad:

Hey Glenn, are you going to burn your backyard prairie every three or four years?? ;)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think I'll get away with that, cut close and power racked in the fall will do almost as good. A little Round-up in the spring on the warm season grasses will help also. That is what is done on restoration where fire is not an option, We turned 1 1/2 acres of prairie that had 90% brome in it around in 3-4 years that way, got almost 99% proper grasses and we are working on restoring the flowers now.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
delmonico said:
Don't think I'll get away with that, cut close and power racked in the fall will do almost as good. A little Round-up in the spring on the warm season grasses will help also. That is what is done on restoration where fire is not an option, We turned 1 1/2 acres of prairie that had 90% brome in it around in 3-4 years that way, got almost 99% proper grasses and we are working on restoring the flowers now.
Sounds like a great plan for a small acreage. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts