Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've been seen the news story, you'll know what I'm talking about. A University of Georgia Professor here in Athens went over to a community theater's get-together picnic Saturday and shot his estranged wife and two other people.

The wife and one of the other people were very, very good friends of ours. Hubby and I used to be very involved in that theatre....acting, directing, building sets, officers, on the board. Those people were like family.

The group we used to hang with always had a great New Years Eve party every year and the shooter and his wife were always there. I was in a couple of plays with her...she was so talented...great singer...always in musicals.

And to make things even worse, they had two children...a boy and girl about 9 or 10 years old. He brought the kids with him over to the theatre, left them in the car....went in and shot the three people. Then he took the kids and dropped them off at a neighbor's house telling the neighbor that there was a family emergency and could he watch the kids for about an hour.

He's taken off and there's a nation-wide search for him

There were also two other people injured from ricocheting shrapnel(sp?). A dad and daughter. We know them very well also. We've hung with that family also.

The older gentleman who was killed was such a good friend....we worked with him on almost every play we did. He was a set designer and builder.

And then there were all the people who witnessed it. I know if I had been there, I would be a basket case.

This has totally wiped me out. I've never known anyone who was murdered before. They were my good friends.

Just simply shot in cold blood.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yeh, it is very shocking to hear that happened. Then another shooting in the Target parking lot in Snellville when a visitation return of a child. What is going on with people!
So sorry about your friends. Those poor kids......

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
It is a terrible thing. I can't imagine how you feel - but you, your friends, the children, and the shooter have my prayers. May he find it in himself to turn himself in and get help that is obviously needed. God Bless.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I heard it on the news. I am so sorry for the loss of all your friends. His family and the family and friends of those he killed and injured will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We saw that on the news and were just stunned that anyone could do something like that. Prayers for all the family and friends of those who were killed.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
What a tragedy. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending healing thoughts for you and your community.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends, you must be shocked and devastated. My prayers go out to all of you and those poor children that lost not only their mother, but thier father also.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
How tragic.

I'm sorry.

I really feel for those poor children. :( Their lives were made so much harder because of their own father.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I'm very sorry for you and your community -- and even more so for the children who've lost not only their mother but their father as well and who must live with such a heartbreaking tragedy the rest of their lives, affecting not only them but their children and their children's children.

We certainly need an environment in which people like this father will more easily access effective mental health treatment as a response instead of a gun and retaliation.

I'm sure that as stresses from our injured economy mount, that will only add to relationship stresses (such as this estranged wife, her husband, and people she's friendly with) so we'll see more and more "senseless" retributions and killings. :(

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'm so sorry - it's such a sad story for everyone involved but especially the children :(

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
What a horrible tragedy! I'm sorry for your loss and the losses of the victims' familes too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts