Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to London to meet my SU for an R&R! Leaving April 19 and returning April 28. My son and daughter in law will come to my house to stay with Sam. He loves them, so I'm not worried about that aspect of it.

I've got several tours booked and one thing I am really looking forward to is that I got tickets to hear the London Philharmonic Orchestra. That is going to be great I think!

Anyone been to London? Any advice? (I know, take an umbrella and a coat!)

Frances

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Enjoy London! The city is excellent...

get some kind of pass for the underground (Tube)... that was the most fun I had there last year was just riding around and figureing out where I needed to go :)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I love London -- Lived there for 1/2 a year when I was in college. The pass for the Underground is a terrific idea. USE IT! London Philharmonic is great. Go to the theaters, too. They're ULTRA cheap!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I love London!!! go to Picadilly Circus (not a real circus) actually a part of London - go by Tube- the best way to travel around London.......

Eat Fish and Chips....

Go to London Bridge and go see Big Ben!!!

Have a blast!!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I loved St Paul's Cathedral and went there many, many times. It never seemed to be the exact same place 2x in a row.....

And completely in line w/the topic-of-the-day, go to the Tower of London and see the Crown Jewels.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Your DIL is probably as excited about taking care of Sam as you are about going to London!

Great place. The Underground and walking... best ways to see the city, so take your most comfortable walking shoes. Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, The British Museum of Art (GREAT pub across the street), all the usual touristy things and you must take at least one cab ride. Those old cabs can turn on a dime, they're HUGE inside, and the the cabbies, well, there is nothing in the world like a certified London cabbie. They have "The Knowledge". :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tours I've scheduled include a general London tour (Tower, Buckingham palace, Westminister Abbey, St. Paul's, Covent Gardens, plus a cruise on the Thames & a ride of the London Eye (which is a GIANT farris wheel offering panoramic views) That won't matter to me because my eyes will be shut.

Then there is a tour to Leeds Cstle, Canterbury & the White Cliffs of Dover
and one to the Best of the Cotswolds (which I understood to be villages and lots of scenery)
and one to Bath, Stonehenge and Salisbury.

that still leaves several days for us to go to Harrods, the zoo, the British Museum etc.

We're going to be tired but I want to see all I can!

Frances

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Paddysmom said:
there is nothing in the world like a certified London cabbie. They have "The Knowledge".
So true - I had a one day layover in London and hired a cab for the day to just show me the sites and tell me stories.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Bath and Stonehenge are awesome.

I was meh on the London Zoo, funny enough.

If you're a flea market person, check Portobello Road. I believe on Sundays they host a flea market that stretches on and on and on and on... Oh, the treasures that can be had...

"Hey look! The Magna Carta. For only 25p!"

G

·
OOOH! I forgot Canterbury and Dover. We came over from France and Dover was incredible. And we stayed the night in Canterbury. Gosh this sounds like a wonderful trip...you're going to have a great time!

·
Registered
79 Posts
As touristy as it sounds, I recommend doing one of their Double Decker bus tours. You get to see all the sights and you can hop on and off as you please so you can see all the sites and it doubles as your transportation.

The guides we had were pretty good and gave some interesting insights and we saw what we wanted at our own pace. It was also nice because you could just hop off and wander the main streets to really get a fell what London was like.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
One of my most favorite places ...... ah I'm so jealous!! I heard on the radio a wonderful round trip fare and I was ready to pack my bags. Let's see; when I went it was late March and the spring flowers (buttercups and tulips) were in bloom everywhere. I rained a little bit every day, but nothing drastic; just a bit on the chilly side. Don't do what we did; we dressed in bright raincoats and stood out like a sore thumb. Our clothing screamed tourist! LOL
Try to get to Windsor...you can see the changing of the guards there or at Buckingham Palace.
I went to Harrods, had high tea there but didn't shop around much. I much preferred Fortnum and Mason near Piccadilly. They have a nice tea; nothing fancy but was the best!
I did Leeds and Cantebury, as well.....our bus broke down; it was a long day!!
I actually enjoyed Hampton Court more; I believe it was a train ride to get there and to Windsor.
See a show at the theatre, if you have time and walk through the gardens.
Also there is Chelsea for the open air market (do they still do this)?
We took the train up to Stratford-Upon-Avon and stayed overnight to see Shakeaspere's place and a play there.....very nice. Also the Cotswolds.
Oh I want to go back so bad!! Have a fabulous time!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts