Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Good info, but if it was me I'd just push the clutch in.:wink: I still like a stick shift better and if the brakes totally fail you have a much better chance of getting it to stop.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
The woman who testified the other day said that she had both feet jammed on the brake, and actually put the car through every gear she could, including reverse, and the car just kept speeding forward. Very scary stuff!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The woman who testified the other day said that she had both feet jammed on the brake, and actually put the car through every gear she could, including reverse, and the car just kept speeding forward. Very scary stuff!
I saw that too! Scary indeed.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You pop it into neutral. I don't understand how the car would keep going if you popped it into neutral. She probably went so fast that she didn't stop on neutral and that is why she kept going forward.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info, but if it was me I'd just push the clutch in.:wink: I still like a stick shift better and if the brakes totally fail you have a much better chance of getting it to stop.
I drove stick shift my whole life until I moved here. My wife does not drive stick so both our cars are auto although I have tiptronic in one of them and I never have it in full auto. I think I may buy a stick shift again in the future because I miss it in a way. Although I must admit with DC traffic, I don't miss dipping a clutch too much!

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You pop it into neutral. I don't understand how the car would keep going if you popped it into neutral. She probably went so fast that she didn't stop on neutral and that is why she kept going forward.
I agree with you. If you disengage drive there is no way it would continue to accelarate. My guess is that she panicked understandably and could not think to go in neutral or park. I believe Toyota are going to install the same systems other manufacturers have which disengage drive when you hit the brake. This should have been a legal requirement on ALL vehicles IMO.

What I don't understand is the case of the police officer. This is so sad but I don't understand why he did not engage neutral. I do understand that if the car had push button start he may not have known how to turn off the engine. Although at that speed turning off the engine probably would not have been a good idea. This is so tragic...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts