Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post some pics about some tourist attractions / pretty places in your state / province / region. I feel like I know so little about what each state has to offer.

I'll start.

Michigan can boast Mackinac Island:
The bridge connecting the upper and lower peninsula. Mackinac is right next to it:

No cars allowed:

Pictured Rocks - Upper Peninsula
On Lake Superior. It's a National Shoreline...and goes on for a few miles, I believe.

Gorgeous beaches and lighthouses
These pics are all on the Western Side, on the Lake Michigan shore.

Beautiful Harbor Towns
Charlevoix Harbor

I love living here because I feel like I don't have to go far and I'm on vacation.

So, what should I visit when I come to YOUR state?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
You posted the stuff that I would have posted. Toledo shares a border with Michigan and might as well be in Michigan for as much as I know about what goes on in Ohio!

We do have the Mudhens. They are the defending International League champions!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I am too lazy to round up photos, so I'll just tell you :D

East Tennessee has The Great Smoky Mountains. It's lovely there. That is where Kevin is from.

I am from Middle Tennessee. We have many lakes here. Not as big as Michigan lakes, but some of them are very nice.

If you visit Nashville, these are the points of interest:

1) Grand Ole Opry. I've only been once in my life, and that was enough, but if you're a country music fan it's a definite must-see.

2) Country Music Hall of Fame. They moved this museum about five years ago from a dinky little building on Music Row to downtown. It's a really nice museum now. Again, great for country music fans.

3) The Parthenon. An exact replica of the original Greek Parthenon. It is the centerpiece of Centennial Park, which is downtown. The park was built to celebrate Nashville's 100th anniversary.

4) Cheekwood. Beautiful botanical gardens. My good friend just landed a job as a horticulturist there. Come on down, we'll go and hassle him. :D

5) Music Row. It's just a few blocks worth of recording studios. People like to look at it. Whatever! You should go just to say you've seen it. Lots of famous people have recorded music there.

6) The Frist Art Museum. This is my favorite Nashville attraction (of course). It's the only thing I've been to more than once. :D Less than ten years old, it is in the old post office building, where my dad used to work. COOL building. The lobby is something else.

7) Schermerhorn Symphony Center. Brand spanking new center for our symphony, which previously performed out of Tennessee Performing Arts Center. The building is architecturally stunning on the outside, but no great shakes on the inside IMO. They say the acoustics are wonderful though.

8) Nashville Public Library. I know you're saying WTF? The library? But I think our library is the most beautiful building in Nashville. I work adjacent to it. It's also less than ten years old. Talk about acoustics...during Christmas they had a concert series and they brought in a local choir well-known for its chill-bump inducing acapella performances. MAN! I was spellbound. They sounded fantastic in there!

9) Lower Broadway. Home of Tootsie's Orchid Lounge and other famous honky-tonks where a lot of country stars of past (and present) first performed. Country music people dig it.

10) LP Field. We got our own pro football team several years ago (Titans). The signage there is really neat. They did kind of a retro thing with the fonts. I like it :)

D

·
0 Posts
I live in NJ about 15 miles from NYC and about an hour from the beach.

There are already WAY too many people here. Don't visit!

(that's a little hostile, huh)

Well if you are coming anyway -

There are all the usual things to do in NY and actually a lot of the tourists who sleep in northern NJ are going into the city every day.

There are many GREAT shopping malls - Paramus alone has 4 major malls - 2 Macys, one Nordstrom, Neiman's the usual suspects. More boutiques that you can even imagine.

There are amazing traffic jams - last for hours - you will never forget them.

The shore is a short drive (well - short in miles anyway - could take a long time if you try to go there on Friday) and the beaches are pretty fantastic. Some of the very best sugary white gently sloping beaches on the east coast and they are (almost all ) open to the public.

Cape May, down at the very tip of NJ is an exceptional location for fans of Victorian architecture. B&Bs abound and there are house tours of the many grand old homes. Also some rare Victorian hotels there still in active usage.

All throughout NJ there are historic sites from the Revolution. Right down the street from me in the county park - where the kids play football and sled in the winter - Washington and his troops camped - (true).

And I could personally give you a Soprano's tour. It's all pretty much in my backyard.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Hmmm lets see, it's late so I can't think up much but here's what popped into my mind first as some of my favorite stuff!

1)The Baltimore Aquarium, sooooo much fun!!!

2) Historic Fells Point

3) Really just all of downtown Baltimore is amazing.

4) Fort McHenry

5) Federal Hill

...lots of water lol :p

...I'm sure there's way more then just those 5 things, I might post some more tomorrow

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
We do have the Mudhens. They are the defending International League champions!

Does International actually mean international, or is it like the World series which only involves 2 countries?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My favorite place of course, Long Beach Island!
Here's the view from our room at The Engleside where we take the dogs 2ce a year. Leaving on 05/20! ;D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
There is so much New York state has to offer. NYC gets tons of exposure and unfortunately NYC and New york state are viewed as one in the same. A scant 50 miles north of the Big Apple and you swear you were in Vermont or any New England area. The Catskill and Adirondack Mountains are gorgeous. The Adirondack Park is "forever wild". The Adirondacks are home to the "Great Camps" featured on the Travel and Discovery channels

The Great Lakes border the west with the beautiful Niagara Falls and the city of Rochester and Buffalo.The St Lawrence Seaway and the Thousand Islands to the north with Alexandria Bay.There is a fort from the war of 1812 which was converted to a restaurant in Henderson Harbor.

The Finger lakes region is home to some great vineyards and wineries. We are packed with Revolutionary War history, the Erie Canal and countless other sites showing the beginnings of the Industrial revolution in this country.

New York was the leader in many things that Americans have today. From the Revere ware pots and pans to the Mohawk carpet in your house, all started in the Mohawk Valley region. A booming textile and garment corridor along the Mohawk River.

If you like antiques the leatherstocking region is where you want to be. 200 year old homes are more common then condo's.

There's my NY state plug!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Colin, my boss used to go to Leeds castle. He's from right there, too. I wonder if he's from Kent though, I'll have to ask. Of course he lives in NJ now. :)

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Colin, my boss used to go to Leeds castle. He's from right there, too. I wonder if he's from Kent though, I'll have to ask. Of course he lives in NJ now. :)
I've been there a few times over the years - mostly to open air concerts ! It's a great venue for a summer concert as there is a valley behind the castle and they mount the stage at the bottom so you can look down on the performers !

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Is Kent a huge area? I'm wondering if you BY CHANCE even know him. He's a huge dog lover and used to have labs.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Duluth Minnesota on Lake Superior

Gooseberry Falls

Duluth Harbor

Lake Superior - this pic was taken in October on a 80 degree day, water was ICE cold

T

·
0 Posts
Well since I am in Florida we have A LOT!!!

Disney World

Universal Studios

Bush Gardens

Sea World

Now just in Jacksonville where I live we have lots

We have a ZOO
The Jacksonville Suns (Thirsty Thursdays)
Jaguars (not a fan)
We have the beaches

We also have St. Augustine with lots of historical buildings and the FORT!!!!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Colin, we were talking about Leeds Castle on another thread last week. Sam I Am went there on her trip to England.

Lets see...the area I am in is probably mosted famed for the South Downs. The South Downs is going to made into a National Park. There are hills. Lots of hills. And fields...

I have hiked up this hill a few times. It's a killer.

Carrying on with the nature theme, West Sussex also has the Ashdown Forest which is the home and birthplace of Winnie the Pooh:

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Many folks on vacation think of Newbrassky as a long, boring stretch on I-80 they are glad to get through, Fair enough, I-80 was build where it was easy to build and easy to travel. You are in good company because the Oregon/California, the Mormon trail, the first trans-continental, telegraph, the UP Railroad and the Lincoln Highway (US-30) all followed the same route or at least in part, The Great Platte river Road.

Much of our attractions are more for folks interested in history, although Omaha’s Henry Dorley Zoo has international status. Lincoln has the State Capital, a large limestone tower that can be seen for many miles and is a must see as well as Morrill Hall, one of the largest collection of ice age fossils in the world.

Some of my favorite places are a bit out of the way, near Fairbury is Rock Creek Station, a road ranch on the overland trail and a pony express station, restored to 1961 specs. Wild Bill Hicock hat his first shooting there. The first weekend in June is the big weekend there, with a lot of living history going on, if in the area, stop by, let me know you are from this board and I’ll even feed ya.

Another favorite of mile is well off the trail google maps will get you there,

http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/topic,43350.0.html

Fort Kearny, near Kearney (yes spelled different) was one of the main stops on the overland trail and a place to get repairs and supplies. If going to the Black Hills and coming from the east, jump off I-80 at Grand Island and take US-2 up through the sand hills, it gets you off I-80 and saves a few miles, although not at Interstate speed. This takes you through a country like no other, fuel and food are there, but you will have to stop most times at small local places not big chains for food, not a bad deal at all. Towns can be up to 50 -60 miles apart in this region, but a debit card will get you fuel because places close early. Fort Robinson has a lot of Indian Wars History and is along the way to the Black Hills.

Also along Highway 2 if you get tired of looking at the beautiful treeless Sandhills, stop at Halsey Forest, the largest man made forest in the world, planted by the CCC in the 1930’s.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Rosie those pictures are GORGEOUS! Especially the forest pics. Wow!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts