Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It crossed my mind this morning as I got to work. We have cleaning people all over our desks everynight - touching the keyboard, mouse, the phone, moving things around. Yuck, I don't want their germs in my workspace!!! I wipe everything down every morning anyway, but methinks I need to stock up on disinfecting wipes. Or even better, ask them not to clean my area.

Something to think about....I'm sure most of us are in the same boat at work!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Don't have to worry about strange people touching my stuff at night... our cleaning crew comes during the day and they don't touch our desks... just take out trash and vacuum occasionally.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
You can tell by the amount of dust on my desk that the cleaning people don't clean it. Wouldn't worry me anyway - just think of all the things you touch on a daily basis that get touched by hundreds or thousands of other people.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't worry me anyway - just think of all the things you touch on a daily basis that get touched by hundreds or thousands of other people.
I'm a germophobe.......wash my hands constantly.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am glad right now that I am no longer with my old company. We had visitors from all over the world in there every week, plus local vendors, sales people, delivery people, and people coming in looking for work. Our techs went to Mexico on a regular basis. I kept hand sanitizer, antibacterial soap, Lysol spray, and sanitizing wipes and cleaned all the time. That's why I wasn't sick all the time.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly, Jackie! I haven't been sick in years and years...well except for that little sinus thing not too long ago.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. We received masks and gloves from the Canadian gov't today, but also a note to say not to use them.

If you are washing your hands, that's most important.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. We received masks and gloves from the Canadian gov't today, but also a note to say not to use them.

If you are washing your hands, that's most important.
I've read that the masks don't do much. Or maybe it is a certain type of mask that does not do anything?

Either way- I'm hoping that we are more prepared this time around. I think our gov't and health officials learned a lot about dealing with this type of things with SARS.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
36,000 people die in the United States every year from the flu. I haven't figured out yet why this is getting so much more attention than those cases got. How many people die every week from it during flu season with no attention whatsoever, and what would happen if you really did publicize that like they are pushing this story?

Personally, if we get to the point where we actually need masks to go out, then I'm making one last run to the grocery store and I'm staying home.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
36,000 people die in the United States every year from the flu. I haven't figured out yet why this is getting so much more attention than those cases got. How many people die every week from it during flu season with no attention whatsoever, and what would happen if you really did publicize that like they are pushing this story?

Personally, if we get to the point where we actually need masks to go out, then I'm making one last run to the grocery store and I'm staying home.
A DJ made that very point this morning as a 'something to keep in mind'. Another radio station joked about how convenient it is for television news - just in time for sweeps!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I was also wondering about the illegals that come up to work on the crops every summer.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I think they are freaking out so much because this is so close to the Spanish Flu of 1818 which wiped out a lot of people. Or it has the potential to be like the Spanish Flu, one or the other. I was reading quickly and not really retaining much other then what I wanted to.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

I believe it's because it is a totally new strain which people have no resistant to and which they still don't know exactly how it's going to progress..... whether it will mutate etc. etc. Also why (so far) it has seemed milder outside of Mexico. Lots of unanswered questions! I guess in time these questions will be answered, but in the meantime it makes sense to take any precautions we can.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is a slightly mutated version of the Spanish Flu of 1918-1919, which has not been seen. Precautions need to be taken due to the impact the Spanish Flu had in the world. There were anywhere from 20 million to 100 million deaths worldwide due to the H1N1 virus in 1918-1919.

This A/H1N1 virus, as seen in the 1918 H1N1, causes the immune system to attack the lungs, therefore, the healthiest of people are at most risk. If you have a strong immune system and if you become ill, your immune system will attack your lungs with ferocity.

Right now, there are too many questions unanswered. If this level of precaution is not taken until the answers come clear, a severe global pandemic could be the outcome.

Making everyone aware and having everyone take precautions is the first step in making certain history does not repeat itself.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Our company seems to be very pre-active about this in many ways. They even have a national toll free # to get the status of your office in case this turns into a pandemic. We also have hand sanitizers (pumps) all over the place as well as clorox wipes etc.
They also sent out 2 national emails with rules, procedures etc etc. Kind of paranoid, but I guess better to be pro-active than not act at all.
Hope this flu just goes away..

·
Registered
428 Posts
What I do find interesting, and pardon me if I am not up on today's news, is that I have not heard them call this a pandemic yet. From what I can tell, based on the criteria set by the World Health Organization, the criteria for pandemic status has already been met. Perhaps there are a few details that are holding them from raising the level to 5.

The Americas region already has two countries with infection. Not sure what else they are looking for. Perhaps wanting to see more human to human contractions? I'm perplexed.

If anyone knows, please inform me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It crossed my mind this morning as I got to work. We have cleaning people all over our desks everynight - touching the keyboard, mouse, the phone, moving things around. Yuck, I don't want their germs in my workspace!!! I wipe everything down every morning anyway, but methinks I need to stock up on disinfecting wipes. Or even better, ask them not to clean my area.

Something to think about....I'm sure most of us are in the same boat at work!
It is a good idea to keep wipes with you for grocery shopping or to wipe down your desk.

It is unknown for certain how long an influenza virus can live on surface outside of the body. They suspect they have a longer life span on non pourous surfaces, suspected to be up to 48 hours.

Keeping this in mind, just keep your hands clean and off your face.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts