Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know we call Aidan "Pork Chop" and say he is the little dalmation from 101 Dalms that is always asking for more food and telling his mother he's hungry...
Another difference between Emma and Aidan is... Emma could be a free feeder...she is just not that food obsessed. Ball driven yes, food, no.
Aidan? Different story...at around 4pm the Pork Chop starts stalking me...with those oh so adorable eyes and that expressive face, he silently pleads for dinner. He will follow me no matter where I go. At about 4:15 he gives up on the silent technique and starts to whinge a little and give his paw. If you ask what he wants.... He gives some grunts and that "You know what i want" look.
At 4:30...forget about it..the dinner bell in his mind has gone off and is ringing loudly...the belly grumbles must be awful because he goes into his crate and gets his dish and starts slamming it around on the floor.
This works and I go to get his food out of the garage. He does the Labby dance for joy and bounces all over with sheer joy.
Dinner time is most definitely this pups highlight of the day!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
:D

I like it! "The starvation dance!" We have a version of that too. It is not triggered until you actually pick up the food dish. It starts with wild leaping, then ends abruptly when you go to the garage to get the food. They then turn into Labrapointers, silently and stiffly holding a point with their noses pressed against the crack of the door. The door opens again and the dance explodes, with wild leaps and aerials. Very impressive!

We have also discovered that you can stop the dance anytime if you stop advancing with the food bowls. Walk, wild dancing. Stop, they freeze. :D

We take our amusement where we can get it. :p

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Yes, I get the runs to the door (I feed the boys outside) and Reggie will give me the bark - I'm starving routine.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connie! Im going to try the freeze routine!!!

lol @ we take our entertainment when we can get it... I can SO relate. We watch Emma and Aidan play and bitey face and get such a kick out of them. Hours of free entertainment!

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
AngusFangus said:
:D

I like it! "The starvation dance!" We have a version of that too. It is not triggered until you actually pick up the food dish. It starts with wild leaping, then ends abruptly when you go to the garage to get the food. They then turn into Labrapointers, silently and stiffly holding a point with their noses pressed against the crack of the door. The door opens again and the dance explodes, with wild leaps and aerials. Very impressive!

We have also discovered that you can stop the dance anytime if you stop advancing with the food bowls. Walk, wild dancing. Stop, they freeze. :D

We take our amusement where we can get it. :p
LOL

Zoe does her best heels at dinnertime.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
At age 11, Mira still does the happy dance for her dinner. It makes me feel good that she can keep this up in her senior years.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Vanis said:
Every morning I wake up with Abby sitting patiently by my side of the bed. All i see are her eyes, staring at me. Usually (now I've learned) I don't look at her or even open my eyes if I'm facing that direction because I know if she sees my eyes open then she knows I'm awake and her tail starts to wag happily and she starts to give little tiny whimpers.

He does the Labby dance for joy and bounces all over with sheer joy.
Dinner time is most definitely this pups highlight of the day!

Funny stories!
Yes, they sure have their routines and treasure their food, don't they?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
lol Cammy will go in the kitchen right by her food dish, "collaspe ::)" from hunger and rest her head in the food bowl. They certainly get their needs across to us, don't they? lol

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Jacob gets behind me and pushes me with his head at the back of my legs over to his food bin. ::)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Great descriptions!!!

Tucker is not food obsessed at all, I'll put his food down and sometimes he will eat right away, sometimes not. When we watch is 'cousin' Knox, a fellow black lab - my wrists are at risk as they get caught in the crossfire of the bowl getting 'thrown' at the ground (to protect myself). We may get Knox for 5-6 months this year as hubby's cousin goes to Australia - I can't wait to teach him more manners.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Food was at the very top of Bess's drives (surpassed only by retrieving) and she was a glutton with no realistic sense of enough being really sufficient. Around meal time, her eyes became lasers which you could feel boring holes into your back if a meal was late. If that didn't produce results soon enough, she picked up her stainless steel feeding bowl and clanged it over the floor until it got filled.

Puff is entirely different and self-regulates her intake (usually).

Puff almost never reminds me and when I start fixing her supper (at 6 PM) she lies down about 10 feet away, head on her paws, eyes following my movements as I take out a bag of salmon slices from the freezer, put a piece (about the size of half a bacon slice) in her bowl with water, then nuke it for a minute, then macerate the salmon. Then I add 1¼ cup of kibble to it and put it on the floor. Puff waits until she hears the rattle of her G&C pill and Fish Oil capsule. When I hold out her G&C (smeared with PB) she daintily come forward to take it, then her Fish Oil. At that point, I tell her "Bon appetit!" and she starts eating her supper.

T

·
0 Posts
Not only is Sami food obsessed, but it appears that, for her, once dinner is over, the day is over. She will just go and lay down on her bed, looking soooo sad. After all, it will be another 14 hours until breakfast appears.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Ruby does a happy dance for her food, the all out wigglies and since we keep their food in a drawer, she has learned to slam the drawer when I have scooped...totally about eating axiety but oh so cute! And efficient! :)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ours all lie and sit in a line on the dining room carpet starting around 10 minutes before feeding time and they watch MIL fill the bowls. Windsor usually barks if she is too slow and Fanny goes to get her now and again if she is late.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
These stories so remind me of Sammi, she can be sound assleep and its like her tummy alarm clock goes off , doesnt matter if its breakfast or dinner time. She jumps up and no matter where I or DH are she will find us to let us know its "FOOD TIME"!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We get "The Look" if we are more than 3 minutes late. We also get the front paw tap dance as we set their food down. My two aren't really food driven, except if we forget to add the green beans. They stare at the bowls until the green beans are added.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
At the ripe old age of 9 (in 2 days) Buddy has suddenly decided to become verbally abusive!
While preparing his green beans, he starts barking, non stop until I get them into that bowl and place the bowl in the feeder tray. It's as tho he just learned he can bark.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
He must look so cute when he's doin' all that.

Tucker's about as bad, 'cept he doesn't grab his bowl. He'll give us looks, paws and such when it's close to time to eat....or go stand or lay by his food bag. One food-obsessed dog, boy. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts