Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusty's very first Bumper "training" session today. It was all fun for him and yet I'm more than pleased that he LOVES "fetching".

Atta boy, Rusty good puppy! Must be the Lab side of his genes, huh?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Good job, Rusty!

Jim, Since you have a few years on me, I am curious. Do you have the energy and flexibility to train a pup? I know HK is my last puppy. If I am still around, I when HK leaves me, I will be in a senior rescue mode. I know that I won't be able to train a puppy.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good job, Rusty!

Jim, Since you have a few years on me, I am curious. Do you have the energy and flexibility to train a pup? I know HK is my last puppy. If I am still around, I when HK leaves me, I will be in a senior rescue mode. I know that I won't be able to train a puppy.
Sorry Ed, don't quite follow that question. I'm older than you. Pups keep us young. If God decides I shouldn't live as long as Rusty ... then Carol takes over. God forbid something happens to both of us, I'm pretty sure that no one here who "knows us" would be shocked to know that the dawgs are included in our will and we have family who will take over their care and custody. ;)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
My intended question was, 'Where are you finding the energy to train a pup?'

I know you have a few years on me, and I don't think i could do it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My intended question was, 'Where are you finding the energy to train a pup?'

I know you have a few years on me, and I don't think i could do it.
Sure you can! First step is to get a little different perspective on aging (polite way of saying attitude adjustment). Don't think or talk pessimistically. At 68 I get up every morning between 4:30 and 5 to feed and entertain my 4 legged pals while I have a light breakfast. We then attend to some chores, get the newspapers picked up from out at the highway, retrieve bumpers after daylight for 20-30 minutes, wash and dry them if they got muddy, come back inside read the papers, turn on Fox or MSNBC news while drinking 2nd cup of coffee and by then it's 7:45 and I make a revelry raid in the bedroom to get my two-legged partner out of bed.

Then, depending on the season, I have pastures to mow, grass to cut, a 700' driveway to maintain, fences to mend. trees and shrubs to trim, crops to plant, cultivating to do, barn to keep clean and organized, cars and trucks to wash, tractors, mowers and implements to service, garage to straighten up and uhhh, that's usually my mornings until Carol calls for lunch around 11:30. After lunch it's a shower and nap until 2 or so.

The afternoons are more of the same, just in different order. Oh yeah, I try to get some exercise in too but haven't been very faithful about that. I guess I'm too tired to exercise and figure I somehow did so while working on chores. Boring existence? Not for me it's not and I hope I can continue doing so for at least another 5-6 years.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Getting a new puppy is starting over again with a blank canvas. Even though the training is the same each dog is different. Kate is our third. I questioned having the energy to train a pup but since SU retired he gets most of the training chores. It is exciting & exhausting. I have to add it is also sometimes bittersweet when you start again with a young one & the senior lab looks at you & wants to be included. Kate is getting forced fetched now & when Kate is finished she leaves with Dave & I put Abby on the table, even though she is in the master tests now she still loves to get on the table & go through the motions. Molly is a bit arthritic so she goes out & just gets to do the work on the floor. I think it keeps you moving & it gives us something to look forward to. :biggrin1:

Looks like you got yourself another good retriever Jim.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I agree with Jim. Just keep on going.

There are some days when I wish all I had to do was sit in a condo and watch tv or read. But honestly, when the day comes that I can't be outside doing something, I think I'd rather die. I just HAVE to be outside, everyday, for a good part of the day, there is always something for me to do.

Training a dog is an ongoing process. You do a little bit each day and eventually it all falls together :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Jim and all,

I was not implying that I am laying around, or would be. I manage to keep myself and HK busy enough. I think I have logged a total of three naps in the 3.5 months that I am retired. I just remember how much chasing, twisting, bending over to lure to train heel, lifting and resetting of HK I went through. Not sure I am going to have enough flexibility to repeat that in 10+ years.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Rusty's very first Bumper "training" session today. It was all fun for him and yet I'm more than pleased that he LOVES "fetching".

Atta boy, Rusty good puppy! Must be the Lab side of his genes, huh?
I don't know my Poodle retrieves a whole lot better than my lab ever did....LOL..Riley was of the mind..You threw it you get it..Flyer will retrieve all day long if I could throw that long.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
God forbid something happens to both of us, I'm pretty sure that no one here who "knows us" would be shocked to know that the dawgs are included in our will and we have family who will take over their care and custody. ;)
This is not surprising, I know I would make arrangements for Lexi.

In fact, I was recently asked by a very good friend, if I would take one of their dogs in the event something happened to her & her hubby. I said yes without a moments hesitation, cause well I love the furry bugger!

·
Registered
12 Posts
love the pics of rusty. i wish ruger was still young like that but then again im glad to see him growing up. i want another pup to train bad! i love training labs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts