Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Umm this should be in the "Movie/Book Review" section. :D Just kidding!! Good to know, I need a good read this summer.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I read the Shack. It takes a few chapters to begin to understand what's going on and when you finish you still have questions, but I did like the book and recommend it. This would be a good book for a discussion.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
The thing about 'The Shack' that I really liked was that it answered some questions that I have always had. And then it answered some questions that I didn't even know I had.

I agree, good read!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I think I posted on this one a couple years ago.
AMAZING book. Absolutely love it.

And I agree, it is a great book for discussion!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I gave out 6 copys of the book as christmas gifts this year! Just loved it and had a few "waterfall" minutes of my own after Koko passed!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I really liked it too.. i'm curious though what Dan thought since he read it and never commented on it.. that i remember =)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I almost picked it up on Saturday. I'll get it when I finish my current book. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it has stirred a lot of uproar is some Christian communities, which to me is baffling. It's a book about renewed faith and understanding, love and comfort. How can something describing a returning to faith be a threat to Christianity?

Anyway. Amid my doubts about my own nagging "institutionalizied, organized religion" mixed feelings, this book gave me comfort, and made me look more closely at my own personal relationship with God and others. Anything that makes you take a fresh look inward cannot be a bad thing.

It's not a "threat". It's just a story, an inspirational story that makes you feel good.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I just finished it while away for the wknd. It is a fast read.

It is fairly predictable plotwise, but my sense is that the machinations of what goes on isn't really the point. The point, as far as I can gather, is to completely re-define God on a personal level. Using Biblically-based imagery, the book dusts off some very common conceptions, burnishes them for the 21st Century, and presents them anew.

All of which got me to re-examine my own (sometimes shaky, admittedly rocky, full-of-questions) relationship with the Father/Son/Spirit.

So all in all, for me at least, the book did what it set out to do.....

I *do* recommend it. And I can see objections to it only from stodgy dogmatists. At best, it could be life-changing. At worst, it's an interesting examination of some worthwhile questions.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I actually just finished reading it. I'm sorry to say that I didn't enjoy it all that much. I think that I'm not in a very spiritual or religious place right now, so it just seemed hokey to me. But it did get me thinking about how I got to be here, since everyone I know who believes in God seems to love this book.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts