Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, this may be a bit odd, but I was wondering.... and who better to ask than fellow lab lovers and Cape-goers....

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cape Cod (1st timers) in August this year and are taking our (by then) 2 year old 4 legged kid with us. We are finding a large number of cottages who will allow her to join us, but I was wondering how the rest of the area is with allowing large-ish, hyper, happy-tail, puppy-dogs? Is she allowed on the beaches and/or outdoor dining areas, etc, etc? I am not finding that kind of info where I have been searching. I did a search on here and found that many others have been to the Cape, but no one really mentioned how dog-friendly the towns are (or which ones are more-so). We are considering Yarmouth and Harwich, but would be open to other suggestions as well. I was also wondering if the weather would still be decent the last week of August, or if we should try to move up the date.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
167 Posts
We go to the Cape every summer. (Have gone my whole life). We actually leave our dogs home. We camp and you can't leave dogs alone in a tent while you spend a few hours on the beach. Most beaches post signs that dogs are not allowed except in the evenings (I think after 5:00). In the evenings it's not unusual to find dogs on the beach. You can get info from the National Park Service on the National Seashore beaches (most of the ocean side beaches toward the end of the cape). Most of the local beaches obey town rules so you might be able to find info on the individual town websites. As far as eating places/towns - Chatham, Harwhich, Yarmouth are a little more proper and yuppy and you might have a hard time finding a dog friendly place, although I'm sure there will be some. You'll see more dogs in Provincetown, but you'll see everything under the sun in Provincetown (verrrrry liberal). Enjoy the Cape! It's the best vacation spot when you have kids!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also - weatherwise - I prefer July. August the evenings are definatley cooler, and you're more likely to get rain. On the other hand, the water has had more time to warm up, so the swimming might be a little warmer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight maggiesmom! I appreciate it. Maybe we will look into some other towns that aren't so "proper and yuppy," LOL! :)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I've been travelling to the Cape my entire life too, never with the dogs yet. I can tell you this, though - New England is a bit behind the times when it comes to dog rules at public beaches. Most allow them on the beach before 9:00 am and after 6:00 pm. I have yet to find one around here that actually allows free run. I've taken my boys to the shore either early May or in September and you can get away with it a bit more, since there's less people around.

Here's a good link for you - scroll down to the "Beaches" section. Good luck and ENJOY!!!!

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guides/us/cities/usonlinecityMACape_Cod.shtml

1 - 5 of 5 Posts