Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
That was my first real job too. He'll love it!

·
0 Posts
My first job, too! Send him my best wishes and congratulations for taking on the responsibility. :D

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
When I was eleven my cousin and I were passing papers through the crack above the bathroom door. He was standing on my Mom's dining room chair and broke it. Guess who got a paper route to pay for the chair? ME! I kept it until highschool when it was too hard to deliver the papers before school. We had to roll the papers and still to this day I HATE newspaper ink on my hands. Totally creeps me out. On the upside I had money and I was finally old enough to walk to "Golden Drugs" and "Pup and Pop" so I could buy fries and teen beat. :D Ahh the good old days.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I delivered "The Philadelphia Bulletin" while in 7th and 8th grade (1975-1977). It was an afternoon paper, and it cost $1.40 a week. So my most common tip was to get $2 and a 'keep the change.' I rode my bike and could nail those papers on a doorstep at 20 yards without stopping the bike. The best part of the route was delivering to a local apartment bldg. I could not only knock off 1/3rd of my route with ONE stop, but in the winters, it was toasty warm in there. And the elderly people who lived there like my company. They'd give me hot chocolate in the winters or iced tea in the summers and want me to sit and listen to their stories. Sadly, for some, I was often their only interaction w/the outside world all week......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts