Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I lost my kitty Dekan in November, and the house (and my lap) just haven't been the same since.

Well, I picked up my new kitty at the airport last night. Kongo (was Luke...but I already have a Lucas) is a 3.5 year old Sphynx coming from a rescue in Louisville. It was a bit of a shock for him to experience the snow :) And an even bigger shock for him to meet the three Labradors! But so far so good, he, like every visitor we have, seems to prefer and migrate towards Rhys. He doesn't trust Gin just yet, she's kind of exhuberant LOL

Its nice to have the sound of non stop purring again :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Wow, he's really cool looking!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
What a cool looking cat...I bet poor Kongo with no fur found snow a shock...and then dogs...poor guy probably wondered what he had gotten himself into.

Hope he continues to fit in well.

Looking forward to future stories.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How did you pick his name Melissa? It's such a great name for him too!
Actually, I've been waiting for him since before Christmas, so I had a lot of time to think about it. Kongo came to me right away, and everything I came up with never quite fit after that. They've been calling him by his new name for a month or so.

He's already very well adapted to water and bathing (Sphynx cats need regular bathing, I do every second day) and handling. He came from an elderly couple who didn't like him being so close all the time. He tries to steal food too. He has also been outside.

Besides being cool looking cats, Sphynx are very social, so I am sure in the summer, he will be out on the deck sunning with the rest of his 'family', just as Deks was.

Here is my baby Dekan, he was a blue Sphynx, and Kongo is black

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wow, what a cool looking cat! Congratulations!! :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Very cool. Enjoy your new kid. I'm sure he will warm up to the "family".

·
Registered
101 Posts
Love his eyes and his ears so intriguing. Congratulations on the new addition! :D

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
How does he feel to stroke? I've never petted a hairless animal before.
The only way to describe it is like a warm peach. They do infact have fuzz!

They are constantly warm. And though some people choose to have theirs wear clothing, this causes them to sweat.

I have blankets around the house, and you must pat them before sitting, sometimes there's a kitty inside :)

The dog walker went over today and apparently I didn't tell her I was getting another cat, she walked in and Kongo was perched on the sofa, amidst the dogs barking like fools. Nothing phases him!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts