Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the more livid I become!

This boy was so troubled that he should have been removed from that school a long time ago.

From what I read yesterday and today (paraphrasing): He was accused of stalking two women. His parents thought he was suicidal. He called himself "Question Mark." Sometimes he pretended "Question Mark" was his brother and would call his roommates pretending to be him. His writings so disturbed his professor that she referred him for counseling. His behavior was so odd, creepy, disturbing and uncomfortable, that some fellow students refused to attend class if he was there. His professor threatened to quit if he was not removed from her class. His tutor (in place of that prof) had a code word in place with her assistant to call police - just in case. She said he was mean. She'd dealt with troubled young people before...but this boy had a meanness in him. And on. And on.

So? Everyone has the right to an education? No! This boy should not have been in this school. Fu$k his rights. The other people had rights. His classmates, their parents and the employees of the school **** straight had a right to feel safe and not be put in this danger. Every school has criteria you must meet to be accepted. If you fail to maintain them, you can be kicked out. So, if you fail all your classes and flunk out - you are gone. But become a raging psychopath and be allowed to stay?!?!?!? Are we that litigious a society and that afraid of lawsuits that the school was afraid to kick him out because he had rights? Is that why he was there? Ironic, because now those lawsuits are going to be a heck of a lot more for the real rights of those murdered.

Sorry for the ramble. And sorry if this has been discussed already. I've haven't been here much this week (work related) so sorry if this is repetitive. I am just fuming, steaming, raging...

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I dunno, Denise. It's easy to recognize all that NOW, but in the throes of it, people are cautious about labelling and acting on those labels -- especially in the university setting, where opinions are supposed to be supported no matter how wacko they are.

And he was an English Major!! A loftier bunch of misfits and high-thinkers there never has been on campus. Think about this: If some professors had read the college works of Stephen King or Thomas Harris in the 'wrong' light, they'd've thrown a net over both of them and hauled them off to the looney bin.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dweck said:
I dunno, Denise. It's easy to recognize all that NOW, but in the throes of it, people are cautious about labelling and acting on those labels -- especially in the university setting, where opinions are supposed to be supported no matter how wacko they are.
There has to be a line though, right?
(Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "opinons." I was referring to his behaviors, activities, etc.)

dweck said:
And he was an English Major!! A loftier bunch of misfits and high-thinkers there never has been on campus. Think about this: If some professors had read the college works of Stephen King or Thomas Harris in the 'wrong' light, they'd've thrown a net over both of them and hauled them off to the looney bin.
Agreed and good point. But there was so much more here than just his writings. A complete picture is emerging. I know - 20/20 hindsight and all - but I just have to wonder how he slipped so far into and through the cracks that this could happen. So tragic and sad.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I guess VT's English program isn't quite as rigorous as the engineering programs they have there. I read a bit of that Richard McBeef "play"....you'd think someone who turned in work of that quality would have flunked out by now. It's not even the bizarre subject matter. I've seen better writing out of middle schoolers.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robin said:
I guess VT's English program isn't quite as rigorous as the engineering programs they have there. I read a bit of that Richard McBeef "play"....you'd think someone who turned in work of that quality would have flunked out by now. It's not even the bizarre subject matter. I've seen better writing out of middle schoolers.
Robin! I read both plays and thought the same thing!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We can't deny anyone their rights because they are creepy,mean,odd disturbing etc. What he did was absolutely tragic,no doubt,but to deny anyone their rights for what they might do is wrong. Let's remember our country was founded by misfits and those who opposed the norm.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
His writings so disturbed his professor that she referred him for counseling.
She said on the news lastnight that he wrote about pedophelia and murder, among other disturbing things. :mad:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have been feeling the same way. The college failed here, hindsight may be 20/20 but there were many warning signs. This is so unbeilevably horrific, even the cops were involved more than once with his actions He flew just enough the radar for the authorities not to be able to do anyting to him. One Professor was flying back the school and had a feeling it was him. She said "She would have been shocked if it wasn't him"

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
labs4life said:
We can't deny anyone their rights because they are creepy,mean,odd disturbing etc. What he did was absolutely tragic,no doubt,but to deny anyone their rights what they might do is wrong. Let's remember our country was founded by misfits and those who opposed the norm.
I have to second this.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Richard McBeef has to be one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. Was Cho abused as a child?? And the writing style reflects an 8th Grade sensibility. I've got to agree w/the others: HOW'D he get into VT?? And better, HOW'D he stay there?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
What I'd like to know is how did he get two guns and 50rounds? Why wasn't his stay at a mental hospital in his records?

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I don't think that not allowing him to attend school would have kept him from getting guns and shooting people - probably would have just done it sooner. And our whole law system is set up to respond to things after the fact.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Paddysmom said:
labs4life said:
We can't deny anyone their rights because they are creepy,mean,odd disturbing etc. What he did was absolutely tragic,no doubt,but to deny anyone their rights what they might do is wrong. Let's remember our country was founded by misfits and those who opposed the norm.
I have to second this.
100% agree.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Unfortunately, hindsight is 20/20. It wasn't until this tragedy occurred that each of these puzzle pieces came together and people got the entire picture.

So very sad. I can't speak on his qualification that got him into VT. I can't imagine how he remained there.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I'm as conservative as a person gets. I think criminals should serve much longer time in prison than they ever do. Pedophiles should never see the light of day.

However, it is a dangerous slope to tread on when we start indicting people for weirdness, scary writing, suicidal tendencies etc.... If the school had a specific, identifiable belief this kid was going to do this then YES by all means take him into custody, question him..see if there is anything to it..and if you don't have enough to hold him--then watch him like a hawk until you do have something on him.

There are people we come across everyday who scare us.....seldom do they go out and prove our fears by killing or even less, committing any crime.

Hindsight is perfect. We don't call the cops when someone creeps us out because creeping people out is not illegal. We also have to realize the creepiness might be some psychological issue WE are dealing with and not the "creepy" one. It's a dangerous slope to kick someone out of school or arrest them because all they do is sit and stare at a wall.....or answer roommates with one words answers and don't form friendships....none of that is cause for arrest or expulsion.

The bottom line-- When someone is willing to take their own life in the name of any action...that action is EASILY done...and IMPOSSIBLE to stop. This guy was willing to kill as many as he could...because he was willing to take a bullet or 12 himself....by himself or by the cops...didn't matter to him. When anyone has this frame of mind you can not stop them from starting their actions and doing a hell of a lot of damage.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts