Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard this story?

I can't believe the parents would leave their 3 y.o. daughter in an empty hotel room with the doors unlocked, and I don't care that they went back every 1/2 hr to check on her. Why not find a restaurant the entire family can attend? Or at least contact the concierge about getting a bonded babysitter. I feel for this family -- it's every parent's nightmare -- but sheesh!!

Madeleine McCann leads cold

Fiona Hudson

May 15, 2007 12:00am

THE parents of vanished British toddler Madeleine McCann were last night clinging to hope she was safe despite police chiefs admitting they'd run out of suspects and leads.

Barely able to stand or speak, distraught mum Kate vowed to stay in Portugal.

"I can't even consider going home at the moment -- absolutely can't even let it enter my head," she whispered.

As the reward for information on the girl's disappearance topped $6 million -- including offers from Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, the England cricket team and soccer star Wayne Rooney -- Portugese detectives said they were back to "square one".

The girl's father Gerry said the couple had drawn tremendous strength from a global outpouring of support.

"Until there is concrete evidence to the contrary, we believe Madeleine is safe and being looked after," he said.

The couple, who have visibly lost weight since their daughter disappeared on May 3, appeared close to breaking down.

She vanished from an upmarket beach resort in Praia da Luz, Algarve. Her parents, both doctors, had left her alone in a villa with the patio doors unlocked as they dined at a nearby restaurant.

A Portugese magistrate was last night expected to begin investigating the disappearance.

Kate's best friend Nicky Gill said the couple had not told their two-year-old twins of their sister's disappearance. "The twins do talk about Madeleine and they look at her picture and blow her kisses all the time," Ms Gill said.

"When they want an ice-cream, there's always a chat about what Madeleine may choose."

The priest who baptised IVF-miracle Madeleine has arrived in Portugal to support the McCanns.

Police said apparent leads such as CCTV footage of a blonde British woman and two men at a service station, and a man seen taking photos of children on the beach the day Maddie was there, have led nowhere.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Dan, I just read that story this morning - it made want to throw up. Like you I am sad that the girl is missing but furious at the parents for being so idiotic.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Frankly, I hope they take all three children away from the parents and jail them (the parents, obviously).

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
I don't know- I have a really hard time passing judgment on people who are living through their own personal hell at the moment.

Also remember in some countries it is the norm to leave babies in strollers outside cafes and boutiques, while the parents go inside. I'm not sure if this is the case in Portugal or not, but I do this happens in Norway.

I just really hope and pray they find her.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I wouldn't leave Sundance alone in an unlocked hotel room. Sheesh. :eek:

I hope the kid's okay, though.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
It has been front page news here for the past 11 days. Such a terrible tragedy for all involved. :-\

I agree that the children should not have been left alone. I was horrified when I read that they left the children not just that once but every night of their trip. I would never leave my 8 year old sister alone while I went to the next door neighbours for 2 minutes.

I sincerely hope Madeleine is found.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
They did do it more than once and the police surmise that whoever did this, saw that and was able to plan this terrible crime.

Those parents must be going through hell now. I pray they find her alive.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Aim said:
I don't know- I have a really hard time passing judgment on people who are living through their own personal hell at the moment.

Also remember in some countries it is the norm to leave babies in strollers outside cafes and boutiques, while the parents go inside. I'm not sure if this is the case in Portugal or not, but I do this happens in Norway.

I just really hope and pray they find her.
I was thinking that exact same thing. I remember seeing a story about Norway and how that's done. Incredible, huh? I just assumed it was normal practice for them, too.

So terribly sad, nonetheless.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I seriously don't see how anyone can pass judgement on those poor parents right now...they have to be beating themselves up over this as it is. It's so sad, and I hope she is found safe and sound.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
You think the parents are in their own personal hell? What do you think is happening to that poor little girl?

I'll pass judgment the same way I would pass judgement if a parent had badly shaken their child and the child was in ICU, or if a parent had left a child in a hot car and the child died of heat stroke.

It is not a horrible accident. The parents were negligent and directly caused their child's suffering.

Flame away, but I hope they rot in prison.

Obviously I pray that the little girl is not physically harmed and is found.

G

·
Momma to J and A said:
You think the parents are in their own personal hell? What do you think is happening to that poor little girl?

I'll pass judgment the same way I would pass judgement if a parent had badly shaken their child and the child was in ICU, or if a parent had left a child in a hot car and the child died of heat stroke.

It is not a horrible accident. The parents were negligent and directly caused their child's suffering.

I have to agree with you on this. I really got tired of hearing people say "Oh, it was just an accident" when parents do bonehead things that could have been prevented. It's not like the daughter was stolen out of their LOCKED hotel room with the PARENTS INSIDE! No, these folks left their kid(s) alone to go eat. No...I don't feel for the parents. They are not ignorant people, they KNEW what could happen. I'm not passing judgement on anyone, but it is the daughter I feel sorry for. It is the daughter that I have great concern for. It is the daughter that should be receiving all the attention right now.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Momma to J and A said:

Easy tiger. I'm not one to tolerate a lot of **** either, but from a parents perspective, there are mistakes that are made. Do you ever consider postpartum depression in some cases of shaken baby or how about just being human for petes sake. I left my daughter in car BY ACCIDENT when she was 3 weeks old. I was stressed, sleep deprived and drained. She was sleeping, I went in to the store and realized 20 minutes in to it, that I had her with me on that trip. For some reason, I forgot. I took her with me and thought I had left her home with her two brothers and their Dad. She was fine - no worries - but I don't judge anymore when it comes to stuff like that.

So perhaps, this story is much more serious than others, but you need to understand where we were coming from. The day to day guilt of parenting can be overwhelming.

G

·
MyLabsMom said:
Momma to J and A said:

Easy tiger. I'm not one to tolerate a lot of **** either, but from a parents perspective, there are mistakes that are made. Do you ever consider postpartum depression in some cases of shaken baby or how about just being human for petes sake. I left my daughter in car BY ACCIDENT when she was 3 weeks old. I was stressed, sleep deprived and drained. She was sleeping, I went in to the store and realized 20 minutes in to it, that I had her with me on that trip. For some reason, I forgot. I took her with me and thought I had left her home with her two brothers and their Dad. She was fine - no worries - but I don't judge anymore when it comes to stuff like that.

So perhaps, this story is much more serious than others, but you need to understand where we were coming from. The day to day guilt of parenting can be overwhelming.
You are comparing apples and oranges. These parents are intelligent, educated people who CHOSE to leave three young children in an unlocked room while they went to eat. You didn't CHOSE to leave your daughter in the car, did you? And whether or not something is the "norm", if common sense tells you that in this world we live in now, leaving a child unattended could lead to it's kidnapping, why take the chance?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
No, but you see...I wasn't comparing the two acts, Momma to J & A was. I was simply pointing out how those two acts (shaken baby and leaving a kid) sometimes are caused in error.

I'm not for the the parents leaving the kids alone - that's wrong; however, I stated that I wasn't sure of their background and/or where they were from that perhaps led them to do that.

In addition, wanted to point out that I don't condone bashing the parents, based on what they're going through at the moment.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
JLMom said:
MyLabsMom said:
Momma to J and A said:

You are comparing apples and oranges. These parents are intelligent, educated people who CHOSE to leave three young children in an unlocked room while they went to eat. You didn't CHOSE to leave your daughter in the car, did you? And whether or not something is the "norm", if common sense tells you that in this world we live in now, leaving a child unattended could lead to it's kidnapping, why take the chance?
I just cannot imagine leaving 3 little kids alone in a hotel room. Even if you forget about threats from the outside world, who knows what they could get into in that room. I really cannot imagine a good explanation or excuse for such a decision. It just seems so selfish.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Yes, the most important thing is that the girl is found as soon as possible, and I will continue to pray that this happens.

To be honest though, I find it extremely difficult not to pass judgement on the parents. I know that they are in a living hell right now, but I am still sick and angered by what I have read ... the resort that they were at offered childcare so parents could dine out and they didn't use it ... initial reports were that they checked on them once an hour, then once every half hour and some say once every fifteen minutes (who knows the truth) ... it is all incredibly sad.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Oh the judgement!! It's so easy to point fingers and judge isn't it? How we are all ever so perfect in this world. I am sure they are regretting the situation right now. Let me give you another parent/child scenario. A mom just got done skiing w/ her kids and they are headed home. Kid's cell phone drops while he is trying to answer it and the mom says "Just unbuckle and grab the phone" at the moment he unbuckles she loses control of her truck and flips and kills the kid. I am sure that mother has regret as well. This happend not too long ago where I live, my kids went to school with the boy. Things that you might call judgement calls happen every day especially when you have kids. I send my son to the bathroom, he's 9 yrs old, by himself. Scares me to death but there is a point when they need to go in mens bathroom, if anything were to happen I would probably regret like hell making that judgement call. Like I said it must be easy to cast those stones especially w/ no children.

You want to compare shaken baby syndrome, so many things go into place, exhaustion post partum depression... it isn't always a terrible evil mother who does that. For the love of God these people just lost their child, it must be heart wrenching and there you sit being miserable about how it happend and what should happen to those parents. Don't lose the perfection that you obviously have found. ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts