Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading Bruce Fogle's Encyclopedia of the Dog or whatever it's called. There are photos of every breed recognized by the AKC and then some. :eek:

It got me thinking: What breed(s) do you think are the least attractive?

Here's my list:

Shar-Pei (Looks like a genetic train wreck.)

Bichon Frise (It's the head that bothers me...or rather, that you cannot see the shape of the head for the orb-like mass of fur that is surrounding it.)

Neopolitan Mastiff (I love big dogs, but that's just too many wrinkles)

Clumber Spaniel (Looks like dwarfism)

I am sure all of these dogs have their charms, because of course all dogs do, but they just happen not to be to my specific taste. :)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Chinese Crested..they actually scare me a little bit

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Ok, so we can assume, based on Connie's list, that she likes her dogs to have tight skin. :laugh:

There isn't a breed in particular that I find to be ugly.....but there is a coloring. Brindle. I just can't
like brindle....on any breed. It goes against my need for symmetry I think. I like well defined patches, if an
animal is multi colored. You can't just be throwin' all those colors in willy nilly....mixing them all up n stuff.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

Affengriffon, looks like an Ewok from Star Wars. It's not that I hate them, I just can't get used to how much they look like Ewoks.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Saluki - I just look at them and think feed that poor dog.

Hairless Chinese Crested - There are two varieties, hairless and powderpuff. The hairless just look sickly to me.

Shih Tzu - Looks like a walking carpet.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Pekinese, they're now bred so badly that they can hardly walk or breathe properly, and any dog that you have to be careful of eye-poppage, that's just WRONG in so many ways.

I used to have this 'toy' in the early 70's that was basically a piece of fun fur with eyes glued on it... would pet it and it would 'sit' up.. looks alot like the show pekinese now.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The dog in the backyard behind my house. It doesn't even have an identifiable breed. MAN that is one ugly dog.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Gotta be brussels griffon *shudder*....ugh! Sooo wrong!

Seconded by chinese crested..... either you're hairless or you're not..... make up your mind!!! ;D ;D

(p.s. LMAO at the bichon comment....orb-like mass....HAHAHAHA!!! ;D)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
kaytris said:
Pekinese, they're now bred so badly that they can hardly walk or breathe properly, and any dog that you have to be careful of eye-poppage, that's just WRONG in so many ways.
Eeep! Are you serious, eye poppage!? Oh no..nonononononononoooooo.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
yep, their skulls are so deformed that the eyesocket is very shallow... I've heard of pekinese who've jumped off a sofa and had the eye dislocate...

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Eye poppage! :eek:

"Hold on a sec, Betty. Skittle's eye just popped out again." *shudder*

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Oh wow, that's horrendous. Omigosh, I can't believe anyone would be ok with that...my skin is crawling. The poor things. Ugh. :p

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Charla said:
Ok, so we can assume, based on Connie's list, that she likes her dogs to have tight skin. :laugh:

There isn't a breed in particular that I find to be ugly.....but there is a coloring. Brindle. I just can't
like brindle....on any breed. It goes against my need for symmetry I think. I like well defined patches, if an
animal is multi colored. You can't just be throwin' all those colors in willy nilly....mixing them all up n stuff.
I don't care for the brindle coloring either. It's just a muddy color that doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I have very definite opinions on breed patterns and colors. I love brindle on Boxers, but not any other breed or mix. lol

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I would have to say Peruvian Inca Orchid.

A woman at our old dog park had one; a rescue. Sweet dog but just horribly ugly--he looked like a burn victim.

I love brindle! And Salukis! I guess there really is no accounting for taste.

I also have issues with any breed where basic quality of life has been hampered by breeding fads. Like the Pekingese problem. And a Neo owner told me that the especially jowly ones are prone to fungal infections in their folds. How gross is that?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
OK, nobody hate me, but I can't think of any "Made in China" dog that I don't think is ugly.

As for the Peeks, wonder if you could super glue the eyes back in. ::) :eek:

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Jinx said:
Hairless Chinese Crested - There are two varieties, hairless and powderpuff. The hairless just look sickly to me.
I am not a fan of Chinese Crested either, although they kind of fascinate me. The powder puff Cresteds look like sloths to me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts