Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on our trip back from the park we had a little experience I thought i'd share. Easiest done in dialogue.

Child: Justine, is that bird hurt?

Me: No, it's a killdeer, thats the sound they make.

Child: killdeer? thats a dumb name.

Me: well we must be too close to its nest, so it is warning us by making those noises. If you listen carefully that noise sounds like it is saying "killdeer"

Children: OH WOW lets go look for the nest!!

Me: um, hold on guys. Lets sit down here and watch for a minute and I'll explain. Killdeer lay their eggs on the ground, so when you see them running around acting like they are hurt it is to protect the eggs or babies. Look around, you might see a baby.

As I was explaining, we see another bird come swooping in. One of the parents divebombed it midflight to protect a baby. The kids sat there in awe!!

Me: So you see, we really shouldn't go looking for the nest right?

Children: can we go have snacks now?

I hope they remember some of it. It was cool. Last night as I sat thinking about it. I totally remember my grade 5 teacher. He was the best. Knew everything about the outdoors and animals. Thanks Mr. Murray, I passed on some of your knowledge.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
They might not appreciate it now, but someday when they're taking a walk with their children they'll remember you and pass your little bit of knowledge along and somewhere you'll know you've done good.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Who's kids were you with? Just curious since they called you Justine. :)

That's very interesting. I have to google Killdeer to see what they look like.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OK we definitely don't have them around here!! Looks like a shore bird. :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I will try to take some pictures. We have Killdeer nesting near the corner of our lot almost every year. Our kids learned about them young, and spent lots of time just sitting outside watching them. I do my best not to let HK go towards that corner. She would definitely do her best to catch them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who's kids were you with? Just curious since they called you Justine. :)

My daycare group Amy.

That's very interesting. I have to google Killdeer to see what they look like.
They are neat looking birds. And their antics are quite interesting.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Every year we could count on at least two killdeer families to take up residence somewhere in our yard. We had to becareful when we mowed the lawn not to run over the nests. :)

Glad you were able to share your knowledge about them with the kids you watch!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
This year we have had probably a couple of dozen in the field behind our house. They make an odd sound but you know when you hear it what it is. Great lesson, that's a great way for kids to learn.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
What a wonderful way to teach the kids!

There were killdeer that nested in the higher grass around the pond at my old company. They would run up and down the driveway, and it always made me smile when I saw them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts