Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bess was a very persistent Lab. When her supper was (she felt) too late, she picked up her stainless steel food dish in her teeth and kept throwing it against the floor until food appeared in it. When her water tank ran dry, she barked at it until it refilled. And whenever I got home right after work, Bess wanted to go out and retrieve; if I dallied in doing that, she picked up everything she could grasp to carry in her teeth and then dropped it on the growing pile at my feet until her retrieving dummies appeared and the door opened for us to go out. Since she never returned any of the things she dropped at my feet, I learned not to dally long.

Puff is much more of a girlie-girl and not usually as persistently demanding. With exceptions like this afternoon when I was stretched out on the bed, Puff by my side, reading a book that we'd just picked up from the library. One of Puff's most favored positions is to have her head very near or on my feet. I prefer those rare times when she stretches out alongside me with her head resting on my chest but she very rarely accommodates me.

We always go out for her afternoon potty break around 2 PM.

Today at 1:30, Puff began standing up and moving toward my head to lick my face ('guess what time it is and what we need to do'). Several times, I told her to lay down, she was too early -- and she did so right beside me, her head near my head. From there, several times she'd crawl forward, her head facing my head, inserting her muzzle under one of my arms holding the book, nudging it up, crawling far enough to get a long tongue on or near my face, tail wagging, ears perked, and the most plaintive, inviting, expectant look on her face.

I can't resist.

As soon as I say, "Okay!", Puff leaps to all fours, jumps down from the bed and looks over her shoulder waiting for me to follow.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I wish Seamus were as polite about his wants as Puff is!

Sheamie is a nose-poker deluxe and when he wants to go out for play he wants to go NOW RIGHT NOW *poke*! And I tell you that boy means BUSINESS with that *poke*!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
As soon as I say, "Okay!", Puff leaps to all fours, jumps down from the bed and looks over her shoulder waiting for me to follow.

Bob ... using the "Okay" word with both dawgs laying on the bed with me at the time is ill-advised at best and generally an invitation for severe torso bruises or a possible hernia, as a combined 168 lbs of Lab paws spring into action and leap from wherever they were laying to the floor ... but insist upon crossing over the top of me to do so.

I've learned to slowly roll out of bed after first assuming a protective fetal position so as to afford minimal exposure of the most sensitive and vulnerable of my body parts from excessive enthusiasm and prancing paws before exiting the 2-dawg 2-person sleeping area. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My guys come to my work station at 3 pm if I'm still working and try to get in my lap or take over my mouse hand. If I'm not ready I tell them No and then Bo will lie on my feet under the desk. If the phone rings they go nuts since they think it's there furbuddy ready for our mutual walk

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I had to chuckle about the "okay.' Okay to my girls means we are going to do something...eat, go outside, possibly a ride. Saying "okay" gets them running around, tails wagging. Now their persisitence is, when it's time to eat, they stand in front of me or SU & stare. I swear they can tell time.
:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Bob ... using the "Okay" word with both dawgs laying on the bed with me at the time is ill-advised at best and generally an invitation for severe torso bruises or a possible hernia, as a combined 168 lbs of Lab paws spring into action and leap from wherever they were laying to the floor ... but insist upon crossing over the top of me to do so.

I've learned to slowly roll out of bed after first assuming a protective fetal position so as to afford minimal exposure of the most sensitive and vulnerable of my body parts from excessive enthusiasm and prancing paws before exiting the 2-dawg 2-person sleeping area. :rolleyes:
I've learned that lesson the hard way also. :p

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Licking? Nose poking? What nice, kind gentle dogs you have. It is supper time, whine (once), woof (once), single bark (once), continuous string of the loudest barks she can muster until I start to move to the food. I put up with this for about a one year period, 6 months to 1.5 years. I couldn't take it anymore. So, it was time to ignore until she stopped for 5 minutes. Then it was supper time. It was painful. One day I timed the barking for over 20 minutes.

Now she comes over to me and lays her head on my leg, or whatever limb is available. And she stays there until I get up to feed her. But the barking has stopped. Yippeee!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts