1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sweet old Dot

My sweet Toby

That ***** Gracie!

She almost kicked my head in today. I was bringing Toby back into the paddock after a ride and Gracie was crowding the gate. I told her "back" and she backed up a step. I told her to back up again and she backed up another step. It still wasn't enough so I raised my hand and put it on her chest to make her back up.

The next thing I hear is a mare squeal and she turned and I saw her heels coming towards me. I dropped Toby's lead and turned my back. I remember thinking it was better to get kicked in the back than in the front. I put my hands over my head and ducked down. This all happened within seconds and I waited to feel the kick.

Poor Toby banged into the gate trying to get out of Gracie's way. I thought for sure he'd be headed to the next county, but he stopped close by and started grazing.

I have no idea how she missed me. All I can think of is it was divine intervention.

Once I got out of the paddock, I shut the gate, grabbed Toby's lead and stomped back to the round pen to grab a whip. Poor Toby thought I was going after him with it and started acting up. I'm sure he felt how pissed I was and thought it was him that was going to get the "come to Jesus meeting."

I poked Gracie in the chest with the butt end of the whip and told her to bring it on. She backed way off and I was able to turn Toby loose. He took off for the horse house. Dot was already in there and poked her head out and then disappeared inside again.

I drove Gracie all over that paddock with the whip until she finally relented and dropped her head and submitted. I never once touched her with the whip though I wanted nothing more than to beat the living crap out of her with it.

She and I have an appointment tomorrow in the round pen. I'm not sure if she's in season and she thought it was Toby touching her or what. No excuse regardless. Her ass is going to be mine. I've never come so close to being kicked before in my life.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Wow... how scarey!

Ummm... on the other hand... I don't know why but I always grin and giggle when I read your posts about "come to jesus" meetings.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Yikes! Kicks are serious business, glad you and Toby were able to avoid it.

We had a pony named (hehe) Merrylegs, who kicked a woman and broke her femur. Paul's fractured tibia was most likely caused by a kick. So much power in those legs!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has worked wonders with Toby. He comes to me now anywhere and follows me around like Jakey does. Makes it hard to get pictures of him now. lol

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Yikes is right! I'm glad you're okay. Horses frighten me and now I remember why.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Wowzers. That's too close for comfort!!

I'm glad she missed both you and Toby. Hopefully she'll remember who is boss next time she gets her panties in a twist.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She'll find out tomorrow. I told her owner what happened and she's moving Gracie to the round pen tonight. She'll live there until her attitude is adjusted.

She's definitely in season but still not an excuse for flashing her heels at me.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I second the plea to wear the helmet tomorrow, Laura. Gracie ain't gonna know what hit her when you get finished!

Poor Toby, he felt the anger and emotions through the lead like the Labs feel it through the leash.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She was so good for me with the farrier yesterday which is why it surprised me today. Oh well, her wide ass is mine. lol

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
When you are round penning Gracie, PLEASE wear a helmet! Good luck with her, It's no good when they think they can be dominant like that.
Great idea! When I taught lessons all students were supposed to wear helmets tacking up (I usually had mine on, once it was on for the night it rarely came off due to extreme helmet hair and continually missing baseball hats lol)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
You Go Girl...show her who is boss. I had a cracked jaw compliments of a friends horse who decided to kick at mine while I was sitting on a milk crate tending her hooves. Out of reflex I managed to deflect the blow so all I ended up with was a busted jaw.

But believe my Sweet Pea's A$$ was mine. She stayed with me for 2 weeks and I worked her tail off so she learned some manners and listened. She also never kicked around me again because every time she tried it I put her it the round pen and made her work.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
good luck with gracie. i'm glad you avoided getting the hoof. storm stepped on my toe by accident the other day and it's been sore for a week. those hooves are wreckless. she looks like a real pill from the one picture with her ears pinned back.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
OUCH!!!! She definitely needs an attitude adjustment!! Glad you weren't hurt! Please wear your helmet and make sure someone knows where you are and what time you will be back.

Getting kicked is no fun! I was nailed by a 4-H horse at a show once as I walked around him-and it was deliberate!I bounced off the trailer and got away. Fortunately he hit me in the thighs and not the knees.... and once by a mini when she didn't realize I was back there and started firing at another mare. I had bruises on places that, um, never see the light of day..... and I could NOT show people my "war wounds".

Lucy

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol Lucy. You could have shown them, but then you might get arrested. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts