Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the results are: YAY FOR SUSANS!!! ;D

Guys, I'm giving you a chance right now to just back quietly out of this thread. Lots of girlie stuff that you don't want to hear follows. Sorry! :D

Susan (WeHeartLabs) and Susan (Labsrme) gave me some advice last month when I was whining about PMS, cramps, and possible perimenopause. Susan WHL advised me to eat more soy; Susan LRM advised to stay away from chicken.

A little bell went off when Susan mentioned chicken: That seemed to make perfect sense. My cramps and PMS had been much worse the past several months. It was about the same time frame that I had gone on a chicken kick, eating chicken almost every day, sometimes twice daily.

Hmmm...

I took their advice very seriously, and decided that for the next month I would religiously follow their suggestions. I got myself some soy nuts (to which I am now developing a very serious addiction) and completely cut out chicken, substituting fish instead.

I waited to see how this month's cycle would go. I am now four days in and I am THRILLED to report that:

1) No headaches. None. I had been plagued by massive migraine-y type headaches a day or two before my period. This time, nothing.

2) No PMS. None. I did have one sad day last week, but honestly I think that had more to do with volunteering at the shelter last weekend than it did with PMS :-\ :'( So, I am officially reporting no mood swings and no PMS.

3) Lighter period. Four days and I'm almost done. As opposed to seven, with a ridiculous first two days.

4) Cramps SO much better. Nothing incapacitating, nothing OTC medication couldn't take care of. And fewer days of them - reduced by almost one-half.

I felt compelled to make an official report on this first, to thank the Susans for being geniuses. :D Secondly, the results were, to me, astounding. This wasn't a case of, "Oh, I think I can tell a little bit of difference, maybe that helped some." This was, "OH MY GOSH! THAT WAS SOOOO MUCH BETTER!" Seriously. There was a very significant difference in every aspect of my cycle this time.

I share this with you in the hopes that it can help someone else who is having problems. And I am going to put it on my list to talk to my doctors about when I see them next.

This was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I get so tired of doctors who just want to throw medicine at every problem you come in with, when the solution could be as simple as an adjustment to your diet. I want them to know and start recommending this kind of thing before they try to drug you up!

Anyway! Thanks Susans! Thanks JL! What a collection of smart people we have! ;D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
yeah!
I dunno if I can go cold turkey on the chicken :p
I eat/cook chicken way too much to cut it out of my diet 100%

I will have to try to add soy to my diet

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I appreciate this information very much! Without going into the gory details, I have periods from Hell. I will be instituting these changes. Now where to get soy nuts from?(no Costco membership)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Soy also helps when your fully into menopause. It helps with the hot flashes, and night sweats. You can also get soy supplements. You can find them with the vitamins. I used to take them, and they helped out alot. I need to start again. I'd like to find those soy nuts though.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I wonder if Walmart or Target would carry the soy nuts. I never looked.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Our wal-mart carries soy nuts, near the produce. We also have a local grocery store and a health food store that carries them, too (you can buy them by the pound).

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I forgot about our Healthway. It would be worth the probable extra cost not to have to go to Walmart.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
They also have soy crisps or soy rice cakes. I can't remember the exact name, but they have them in barbecue or ranch flavor. I like the ranch. They're not real cheap. I believe they are about $2.88 a bag, and you don't get alot. They're really good though.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
groceries generally carry soy nuts.

As an asside, I wonder if buying chicken w/o steriods/antibiotics would help, or if it is the chicken itself.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Champs Mom said:
They also have soy crisps or soy rice cakes. I can't remember the exact name, but they have them in barbecue or ranch flavor. I like the ranch. They're not real cheap. I believe they are about $2.88 a bag, and you don't get alot. They're really good though.
Scooter recommended the Genisoy Crisps. I tried those in ranch and they are yummeh!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, here's what I'm thinking about the chicken: They shoot it up with hormones?

I am a HUGE House fan. :p Oddly, a couple of weeks ago, there was an episode about a little girl and boy who were having problems that they eventually related to an overabundance of hormones. Dad was using some kind of testosterone cream to keep up with his new girlfriend who was half his age ::) Anywhoo...at one point, one of the medical team commented, in pondering the problem with hormones, "Well, he's a single Dad. He's probably feeding her chicken fingers every night..."

Hmmm! Chicken, hormones...

About the soy nuts: I got mine at Kroger in the produce section. They have a table with all kinds of nuts, and these are there. They are GOOD! And, bonus: I have not been able to eat nuts lately due to the way they make cold sores flair up. :-[ But the soy nuts do not seem to have the same effect! I've been eating them like they were going out of style for the past month and, so far, so good!

There's also the soy milk if you wanted to try that...:)

·
Registered
922 Posts
That's great, Connie - I'm glad it worked for you! It is amazing, isn't it, the effect that a change in diet can have on your body. I can definitely tell whether or not I have eaten well in the prior month when "that time" rolls around. I was pretty sceptical when the holistic doctor suggested the diet change. I couldn't see how that would have any bearing on the problems I was having, but boy was I wrong!

I'll have to try the soy nuts - I've never had them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Connie -- this is very interesting news.

I am so glad this worked so well for you. Now, just how many soy nuts do you consume? Do you eat them every day. Do you eat more the closer you get to your start day?

Are you going to cut out chicken completely or try to eat some immediately following the end of your cycle and then not eat any for the couple of weeks before you're due to start? Also: could you eat turkey -- or is it just chicken?

I need to try this, too -- and, for any guys reading this far . . . FOR OBVIOUS REASONS!

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
claire said:
yeah!
I dunno if I can go cold turkey on the chicken :p
I eat/cook chicken way too much to cut it out of my diet 100%

I will have to try to add soy to my diet
Too much soy on the other hand, is linked diretly to fibroids & tumors in the breast tissue, for one. I'm not sure how much is too much though.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Don't want to throw cold water on the results, but you might want to wait a cycle or two before you really see the benefits, Connie. I don't eat chicken, or any meat other than seafood (though I do eat dairy and eggs). I generally avoid seafood more than three times a week, so am basically heavy on the veggies. Since I had a low-calcium problem in my late twenties, I eat a lot of soy, dark green leafy veggies (spinach and kale) and take suplements. I am relatively thin (5'3.5" tall 110 pounds) though far from skinny.

I have alternating horrible then easy periods. Some are completely debilitating. Some I hardly notice. When I have had too many in a row (say three) that were OK, I start to worry because I know the next one will knock me endwise. It seems to be cyclical, and not too closely linked to diet, exercise, or anything else I can reasonably track.

That said, I do know that my diet helps, my exercise level helps, and my weight helps. Clearly, you are well on the thin side (I remember pictures), as well as fit and active. I'm not telling you that the change in diet didn't make a difference - I suspect it did, and hormones in the chicken may well have had something to do with it, it makes sense that there would be some effect. I'm just saying that if your next period, or the one after that, sucks, don't give up. Sometimes they're just awful no matter what we do to stay healthy.

And it's interesting that you don't have to stop eating chicken for long to completely lose the taste for it - or at least I did.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have alternating horrible then easy periods.
Well, I know. Me too. True, we will have to wait a couple of months to see if it really did make a difference.

It sure is hopeful, though. I am telling you, I'm now about a week in, and there are all kinds of little side effects that I didn't want to get into that are still absent (I'm sure after what I posted you're thinking, omigosh, what did she NOT post? :D )

The last couple or three that I've had have been just HORRIBLE. Just an unbelievable range of annoying side effects, starting about a week before and lasting almost a week afterwards. Cramps were just about three days, but right around this time I also had:

Fatigue so bad all I wanted to do was sleep for a couple of days prior, and then
Sleeplessness the first night of cycle
Gastrointestinal disturbances that limited what I could eat for around a week
Headaches that lasted entire days (I have never gotten random headaches up until the past year)
Mood swings (dramatic)
Achy legs

And this month, NOTHING! None of the above! It was the best period I have had in months and months.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that it could be a coincidence, and I am anxious to see if it holds up next month. But right now I am SUPER encouraged! ;D

It was really great to have a good month this month too, as I had a big awards dinner to attend at work the day I was supposed to start. It really freaked me out when I saw on the calendar that it would coincide with my cycle, and I knew it was not something I could blow off - some of my projects were nominated, and our senior partner was accepting an award from the organization. I knew I would have to sit in an uncomfortable chair for hours, and eat whatever food I was served...two things that would not be ideal for me on that particular day. :-\ But everything was fine!

And last night, I went to a wedding and ate rich wedding food. I thought oh boy, I'm going to pay for this tomorrow. Today - I'm fine! ;D

Sorry to be blabbering on about this. I am just so optimistic that I have finally found something that has helped!

Oh Karen, about the soy nuts: I bought a package that's about a pound and I'm having, oh, I don't know, a couple of handfuls every afternoon for a snack. Actually, I did have to eat chicken at the awards dinner, so I was kinda bummed about that. I think it's possible I could eat it, like say now, and then knock it off later. But really, I don't mind cutting it out altogether. I have become quite accustomed to scratching things from my diet :-\ I didn't have any turkey this month either, mostly only fish. I'm not sure if that would have any effect or not? ???

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
yayyyy...your'e welcome! I'm so happy it worked for you. It is astounding, isn't it? and why don't MORE women knowwww about it!

I got this in an email and had to laugh...
the caption said... Warning, I am low on estrogen and have a gun.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'm a big soy eater...milk, edamame, etc. and I eat fish about 3 times a week, but I'm also a big chicken eater. I used to have horrible cramps. I would take prescription pain killers just to make myself sleep so I wouldn't feel the pain. Since I've added soy and calcium & magnesium to my diet I can really tell a difference. It's been about 2 years. It's pretty rare that I get a bad episode now (maybe 2 times a year). I try to buy chicken without growth hormones, etc. when I can, but still eat regular chicken. I wonder if eating only hormone free chicken would make even more of a difference.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
AngusFangus said:
I'm sure after what I posted you're thinking, omigosh, what did she NOT post? :D
Don't get me wrong, I do agree that it could be a coincidence, and I am anxious to see if it holds up next month. But right now I am SUPER encouraged! ;D
I am just so optimistic that I have finally found something that has helped!
Seriously, I think you're on the right track. I just wanted to put a little dose of "if next month sucks, not all is lost" in the mix. I definitely think that my loss of taste for chicken (used to be a regular staple of my diet) is not conicidental. I think those of us who are cursed with bad cycles can certainly do things to make them better. I also think those of us cursed with bad cycles will also probably still have a somewhat hard time (at least some of the time) no matter what we do - it's just lousy.

Basically, sometimes it's just not fun to have been born female. Good thing we're so tough. ;)

Keep us posted. I think there's stil a number of things that I could / will be doing to make things better. Glad you've seen a change for the better already.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts