Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have carpet in our kitchen. Well, not anymore! ;D Getting ready to install new tile flooring, YAY!

I'm taking a break from pulling staples now. We did have linoleum in the cooking area of the kitchen - that has been pulled now too. Underneath that there was a layer of 1975 linoleum harboring a little army of tiny staples. They have formed ranks and are now bracing themselves for my attack. These little guys are a lot more feisty than the bigger carpet staples. :p

But I will prevail. FOR FREEEEEDOMMMM!!!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
oh boy! seeing all those staples
give me flashbacks from when I pulled my carpet

have fun & good luck

I look for pics when you're done

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
OMG. :eek:

That's a lot of staples!!

Good luck and post pics as you go along!! :D

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't envy you..... been there, done that already., It wasn't fun, BUT it was so worth it in the end.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Actually, when I did this, I used a screwdriver to pry up the staples. I don't envy you in the prep work...

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
What did you decide to go with for flooring??

I can't wait to see the finished pictures! :)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anne said:
What did you decide to go with for flooring??
We just decided to go with vinyl tiles. The ones we picked are very easy to self-install, and very durable. A friend of mine is using them in her kitchen and she recommended them (she even tested them out for durability - trying to scratch them up with a knife). They LOOK like ceramic tiles but aren't. They have beveled edges, which I really liked...makes them look a little less like plain old vinyl tiles:

I would've loved to do the real thing, but I don't think our house is worth that. We want to make sure we don't make our house too nice for the neighborhood. :)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Nice tile choice. We chose something very similar last year. It works wonders for disguising the mountains of dirt the dogs drag in or shake off in the kitchen. :)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paddysmom said:
Nice tile choice. We chose something very similar last year. It works wonders for disguising the mountains of dirt the dogs drag in or shake off in the kitchen. :)
Thanks Nance! That's what I'm hoping for! It's the main entrance to our house (that people use anyway) and the berber carpet was absolutely FILTHY. I will be very happy when I can clean up all the sand and dirt and hot have it get ground in!

Today I have to paint the floor with primer and once that's dry we can start putting the tiles down! :D

My knees/quads/hamstrings are very sore from being crouched all day yesterday! :-\

Are you going to count the staples??
I did think about it, but I wasn't up for it! It was a pretty nice big pile of dead staple-bodies though!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Sounds like a great choice!

My neighbors just did something similar in their kitchen. It looks realistic, and she says the vinyl tiles are a breeze to clean.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
OH! I so remember ripping up carpet and staring at all those staples! Our 10 yr old home was all carpet and vinyl cushion floor when we bought it 8 years ago. We now have a mix of ceramic tile (bathrooms & foyer), Hardwood (livingroom, dining & kitchen, hall etc, main level) and 9mm laminate (family room, bedrooms, hall upstairs). I am not a carpet fan, for durability & health reasons, (MAYBE with no kids nd dog...just maybe). It was so much work, but it is soooo worth it. I cannot wait to see your "after" shots! :)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Jeez....aren't you done yet?! I keep checking for "after" pics but nooooooooo. You've had the whole weekend. What gives? Lolly gagging? Get busy!!!
Heeee...I'm kidding. I AM anxious though. Hurry! :p :laugh:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This is me right now. OMG...my knees and my back and my quads are killing me. It is soooo close to being done. We just have to complete along the edges of the room where we have to cut tiles. But it's looking SO GOOD. Should be done tonight.

I'll post pics ASAP. There will not be baseboards in the room yet, so it won't be 100% done but you'll get the idea.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts