Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday Breezy's old owner, a good friend of mine came over with her 2 boys (2 1/2 and 6 year old). We put them on Breezy and just did a little pony ride. Got done and fed the horses and Christine was showing how to emergency mount Breezy in the pasture. We do this all the time and for the life of me...I'll never lift my butt over without stirrups. It was all fine but Breezy started to walk and then trot to the other horses......she also came too close the the shelter and once clear of that Christine emergency dismounted (common thing that we even teach)....she landed on her right leg off the left side and WAHM....compound fracture. I thought she was JOKING because her dismount looked pretty darn good! She screamed to call 911. NOW, Christine is a RN AND has done EMS (Medic before).

Ambulance gets there and we could not move her. She got a morphine drip out in the pasture. She refused to allow them to take her through the pasture on the stretcher because it was bouncing everywhere. THey thought she was FULL of it till we had a pick up show up, flipped her, and found blood.....lots of blood. Her fracture went through the skin......NOT good in such an unsterile environment. So they load her and get her to the hospital. I have her boys and we waited for her parents to show up. Her SU is a pilot and was on his way back from CT. Sooooo, ran to the hospital and she was heading into surgery. They said she broke both her fibia and tibia (sp?) and all that was holding her foot to her leg was skin. She is going to need a lengthy recovery period of at LEAST 4-6 months. :'( She JUST got done with 6 weeks of rehab from her knee less than 2 months ago!

She is really depressed. I feel so badly for her. Such a fluke and it happenned so quickly.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OMG Julie!!! I feel so bad for her. I can't imagine. :(

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it really stinks. She needs care for her current endurance horse that she bought after she sold Breezy to us....so I am picking her up Saturday to take care of her. And the hospital and her home are close to my office so I will spend lunch hours to take care of her. Her SU has to work, understandlbly and they both are going to need some help with the kiddos. I just hope her recovery is fast and there is not permanent damage

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What a good friend you are! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts