Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my, I never would have believed it! Okay, so it was the end table and not a kitchen counter, but Shadow stole food. First time EVER!

We ordered in pizza and garlic bread and ate in the living room. Shadow had an apple while we were eating. Just as we were finishing, Shadow went to get a drink, then stopped on her way back to the living room -in my line of vision - and peed. :eek: I cannot remember the last time she pottied in the house. I yelled NO! OUTSIDE! and went to her immediately. She trotted to the door, I put her collar and tie-out on, and put her outside while I cleaned up. Luckily, she is still drinking double what she normally does so it was colorless.

Then, I let her back in. Bill and I left the living room ... and left the mini container of garlic butter on the end table between our chairs. :-[ Dumb move on our part, but we've never had to worry about things like that before. I heard an odd noise in her crate so I went to investigate - and there's a trail of melted butter on the carpeting and a guilty Shadow in her crate, trying to lick the rest out of the container.

Remember when I said the other day that naughtiness would be preferred to her current misery? :-X BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR! ;) lol

So, how long does it take for the Prednisone to get out of her system and stop making her so hungry and thirsty? Does Rimadyl cause the same side-effects? Because that is what she's on now, and the vet gave her a shot of it just before we picked her up this morning. *trotting off to clear the counters of food and put trash containers out of reach*

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't mean to laugh but Buddy isn't a surfer either and the one time he stole a piece of chicken he was so guilty, he didn't know where he wanted to hide. And he wasn't on any meds either.
Your incident was probably from the prednisone. The accident? I don't know. Maybe she was angry for being left at the vet?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
lol Shadow...she knows everyone is worried about her, feeling sorry for her ordeal and will cut her a bit of slack ;)

Maybe the peeing is some after effects from the anesthesia OR and i hate to say this, the beginnings of a UTI. ::) I hope not.
Did they catherize her for her surgery?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if they catheterize for surgery, but she was in a cage for over 24 hours and I know they could not possibly have walked her every time she had to pee. I am hoping it's a combination of the Prednisone still in her system and going in the cage.

Steam-cleaning carpeting tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
LOL at Shadow!

Does Rimadyl cause the same side-effects? Because that is what she's on now, and the vet gave her a shot of it just before we picked her up this morning.
Rimadyl in pill forms does not make dogs hungrier or thirstiers (we're Rimadyl pros in my house ;))

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh good, so I can hope that once the Prednisone is out of her system, the excessive appetite and thirst will go away?

Bill said that now her stomach has a lot more room in there, so it feels emptier. Cripes, I hope it isn't that! :-\

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Rimadyl no but Prednison, as you know, yesssss....it just runs right out of them. If it happened anymore, I would worry about a UTI.
How are her pain levels? Is she doing pretty well? Dogs are so resilient.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Her pain level is much reduced, but you can tell she is still uncomfortable. She sits and lays down carefully, instead of flopping down with a 'thud' like she usually does. She also takes the stairs slowly, one at a time, instead of leaping up two or all three into the house. Her next dose of Rimadyl is tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Awww poor baby....but im glad it is manageable...i mean she feels good enough to be swiping food LOL!!
Not letting her off the prayer list yet, either...not until you get the all clear.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I think the peeing and the counter surfing are related to the Pred. Murray is a peeing/eating machine when he is on Pred. I hate traveling with him because I'm up every 1-2 hrs during the night to take him out to pee. At home, he uses the doggy door so I never even know he has gone out.

Pred has a very quick half life. I don't remember exactly but it's hours so it will be out of her system pretty quickly once you stop. One word of caution though... Pred needs to be weaned off gradually even at low doseages. My son was on a high dose and forgot to take his next dose for several hrs. He ended up in the ER. He had breathing difficulties and it caused his heart to race. He said it felt like he was having a heart attack. The ER doc said he could have died. Of course lower dose affects won't be that extreme but I just wanted you to be aware of the risks.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my, that information about weaning off Pred is scary! She had a shot on Friday, then a pill every 12 hours until Tuesday night - and then it was stopped. That means she hasn't had any for 48 hours now - but she is still drinking at least double her usual amount and peeing like crazy. :( I am going to take up the water when we go to bed tonight, and then try to measure how much she drinks tomorrow. Wouldn't the vet be careful about weaning her off it if it could cause problems?

C

·
0 Posts
It's great that Shadow's feeling good enough to do a little table surfing! ;D

On their website, Pfizer does include polyuria, polydipsia and incontinence as reported side effects of Rimadyl.
http://www.rimadyl.com/display.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=RC&species=CN&sec=660
(near bottom of page)
Perhaps since Shadow's just finished taking the pred, she would be more succeptible?

My vet doesn't do tapering off pred unless a dog's been on it for an extended time which he considers to be more than two weeks. From what I've read that's pretty standard protocol but if you're concerned you should, of course, call your own vet and ask.

Continued healing thoughts headed your way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oh, yes the side effects of Predisone! We know too well. I remember everyone telling me about the appitite and thirst and counter surfing...not my boy I thought! Sam has managed to swipe several items and prove me wrong!

Depending on how long Shadow was on Predisone and the amount, may determine how long it will last in her system. Predisone is usually gradually weaned off after several days because of the side effects. When was her last dose and how many mg. was it? If it is a small dose, she may not need to be weaned off. As far as the peeing....could be from the Predisone or as was already mentioned, a UTI. Is she on any antibiotics for the surgery? Hope she is feeling better.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I couldn't help but laugh but mainly I am glad Shadow is feeling well enough to steal food off the table...

Continued good thoughts and prayers for Shadow...

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, she is still on Amoxicillin for a few more days, so I don't think it's a UTI. She's drinking way more than usual and when she peesm it's clear, like water. It's pretty much going right through her. I checked the Rimadyl site (thanks for the link!) and it can cause excessive thirst and urination, so that is a possible culprit. I'll watch her and see how she acts and see if I can wean her off the Rimadyl by Monday, when I go back to work. She's getting 1 1/2 now, I will give her one tomorrow and see how she does. If that causes no difference in how she feels, I'll try 1/2 on Sunday. If that works okay, I'll keep her on the 1/2 another day or so.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I did not know Rimadyl could cause incontinence! Learn something new... I still think it is the Pred as the main culprit.
Praying for continued improvement for Shadow...that she gets better and better each day.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I think its all related to the pred. It stays in the systme for sometime, that one of the reasons you wean off of it before stopping completely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts