Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you made me go...

I posted about the sensitive teeth awhile back and also shared my utter TERROR about going to the dentist. Well, the day you all wrote and said GO there could be a problem... I called and made an appt. The recep was nice...asked which kid I was bringing... I said none it's for me... :eek: I heard an audible gasp on the phone, as I have shared with her how I feel about the dentist. She gave me the date and said she would make sure she told the dentist how I felt about coming in.
It went fine... I did have tears streaming down my face during the cleaning...that water blaster cannon thing is nerve wracking, BUT I DID IT... He said all my bone is good but there I did have a couple cavities that need to be filled and he prescribed special toothpaste, a flouride rinse and said get an electric toothbrush.

Talk about high tech! There's a TV with headphones you can watch while they work on you, the chair had a massager thing, the XRay taking part was a breeze...gone are the days of the GAG reflex xrays...the piece that goes in your mouth is SO much smaller and the image appears rght on their computer! Amazing.

So thanks to ALL of you who said.... GOOOOOO! and just do it! I did and I'm going back next week for the fillings and some perio test thing...didnt catch the whole name of it.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
GREAT NEWS!!

I'm so glad you went. :) I need to go. IT's been a few years. I don't like the dentist either. But isn't it funny as mothers, we make sure our kids go regularly?? LOL

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'm glad it wasn't that bad. I hate going to the dentist too but I want to keep my teeth so I make myself go. I've always had a bunch of cavities so I need to make sure to get them checked regularly. Luckily my dentist is very sweet and tries to make it as painless as possible. No TV, massager, or fancy x-ray machine though :(

S

·
0 Posts
I understand totally about your fears. I also have irrational fears with both dentists and doctors. I still go but I never am able to sleep the night before and often just lay there in a sweat. Good for you for facing it anyway.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Wow, that does sound like a really tech-savy dentist, I want a massage chair and headphones! :(

Anyway, good for you for facing your fears and getting the job done!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm sitting here with a stomach ache as my dentist just called to confirm that I will be there tomorrow morning at 9 for a crown build up (had my root canal weeks ago). I don't think anyone fears the dentist more than me. By tomorrow morning on the ride in, I will be completely sick to my stomach and shaking like a leaf.

I'm glad you went Susan. :)

By the way, can I have the name of your dentist and where he's located? TV? Massaging chairs? NICE! ;D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh I missed this before, but good for you!!

My dentist, and his techs, are the BEST. He is one of two of my doctors I have not fired in the past year (see other post about perimenopause LMBO). I have sensitive teeth too, so I'm really a white-knuckler when it comes to cleaning. If they hit the wrong spot the top of my head could fly off and possibly injure someone. But they are very gentle, very very gentle, and very careful to cut a wide berth on those spots. :)

It sure has come a long way. I remember going when I was younger and it seemed like some kind of mediaeval torture. :eek:

·
0 Posts
Congrats!!! And just to show you some other "positive outcomes" of your going, I just called and made an appointment to have my teeth cleaned, too!! Thanks for the inspiration. ;D

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
My dentist doesn't have a massage chair (which would be nice) but we can watch movies and listen to CD's when we are having a procedure if we like.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Finding a dentist who has nitrous available is the only thing that makes me go! It is wonderful. I used to dread appt. for truly months in advance, and didn't go for YEARS in a row! Now I go happily every 6 months, and sometimes I even forget I have an appt. until they call and remind me!

Frances

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Good for you! I'm so glad it went well. I don't know if he recommended a particular electric toothbrush, but my SIL worked at a dental office and recommended the Oral B Triumph to me. I really like it and my dentist says it does a good job. They have them at Costco last time I looked. It gives you a smiley face if you brush for 2 minutes. :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Oh, I despise going as well. My anxiety really bothers me on those days and the night before.
I need to make an appt to go, they sent me a notice that said they hadn't seen me in 14 months.
The woman who makes the calls always has such a cheery voice when she calls me because she knows I don't want to hear her voice. When I pick up the phone, I always jokingly say something like "****, you found me" or something. One time she said, "what can I do to make it better for you to come here?" I said "Liquor" So when I got there, there were two little mickeys of vodka and some juice for mix!!!! She enlisted the help of the hygenist and they had it ready for me in the little room when I got there!
We all had a great laugh. I didn't drink them, as a matter of fact, I still have them. She made me take them. I bought her a Christmas gift that year.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I wish I could be so brave! Good for you for going through with your appointment!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts